Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
Was there a few years ago, which one was the Banyan Tree? I don't remember how the names match up with the locations. If it's the small place down on the beach, that's too bad it was a really nice way to end the day, though it was only open for dinner seasonally from what I remember.
I had a memorable event at that restaurant several years ago. About 8 of us were eating at a big round table and during desert my daughter vomited all over the plate and table. We just put our napkins over it and left. You can't recover from that.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:28 pm

Not too many reviews for this property of late. Was thinking of staying here. I'm just a lowly silver, so not expecting anything. I've been to Maui about a half dozen times, and have always stayed in Ka'anapali. So was thinking of this property. Can get a very decent rate right now for a garden room from one of the travel websites. Don't care about earning points but was just interested in comments about the garden view rooms, and service at the Ritz.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by toadman
Don't care about earning points but was just interested in comments about the garden view rooms, and service at the Ritz.
I just stayed here last week. For the price (which was significantly lower than some of the higher end properties in Wailea), I had a pretty good stay. Service was generally good--everyone was certainly very friendly and you could tell they were all trying--but if I was to be nitpicky, I would say that the service generally lacked the polish you would expect from some other luxury properties.

Housekeeping could definitely use some work-- and one thing I was surprised at was that they all left their carts in the hallway during service; once a cart was almost blocking my door and I had to squeeze around it to get in the room. At a luxury property, I'm accustomed to housekeeping servicing the rooms without you really noticing that they are there.

Since there isn't a whole lot that is nearby, you may find yourself eating and drinking a lot at the hotel. I found the food (both the breakfast buffet and dinner at Terrace) pretty good and was surprised that the prices were at times lower than at the Wailea Marriott I had arrived from-- I appreciated that they don't try to gouge you even though it's more convenient to just eat at the hotel than to drive elsewhere.

Overall, you could see signs that the property ownership was under some financial distress (i.e. cost cutting). Even though there are now only two restaurants serving dinner, they aren't both open every night, so on the nights I was there you had to either eat at Terrace or at the lobby bar. They are switching over to house branded toiletries (presumably as a cost cutting measure), but still have stock of the Asprey toiletries, so I had a mixture of both (and the perfumed Asprey shampoo scent doesn't go at all with the tropical scent of the house brand conditioner). And what was most surprising was that there was no complimentary sunscreen at the pool-- they even had that at the Marriott! The attendant said they used to have it but for some reason were "out" at the time... but he did offer to sell me some.

However, for the rate I paid, I was more than satisfied and would certainly return. I wasn't paying Four Season Wailea prices, and wasn't expecting the same experience.

As for your question about the rooms, the non-club, non-suite room categories are Terrace < Deluxe Resort View < Deluxe Ocean View.

I would not recommend booking Terrace (unless you think you may get an upgrade) as it is described as limited or no view, and I suspect these are the rooms that are on the ground level. Some are located right next to entrances to the wings, so people may be walking past your room a lot, and others are located a few feet lower than the walkways around the pool, so it may feel basement like, and again, people may be walking past your room a lot.

On the other end, Deluxe Ocean View is actually described as a "partial" ocean view-- this is the room category I was upgraded to (had booked an Amex FHR rate), and like so many "ocean view" rooms in Hawaii, if I looked diagonally out the window, I could see a sliver of ocean, so I'm not sure this category of room would be worth the $100/night premium over Resort View.

There is a $25 resort fee, which includes internet but not much else. Parking is $10 for self parking or $18 for valet. There is also a free on demand shuttle-- run by the Kapalua development, not the property-- that will take you around the surrounding area (i.e. if you want to go to a different beach).

Last edited by dw; Aug 29, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:32 pm

dw, thanks for the detailed post, very much appreciated. Will probably pass on the Ritz, and stick with current reservation at the Makena Beach Resort in the Wailea area. No resort fee, no parking fee, and the breakfast included rate will be a big money saver over the Ritz.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by toadman
dw, thanks for the detailed post, very much appreciated. Will probably pass on the Ritz, and stick with current reservation at the Makena Beach Resort in the Wailea area. No resort fee, no parking fee, and the breakfast included rate will be a big money saver over the Ritz.
IMHO, I would choose a Wailea resort if the Ritz is too expensive. The ocean is a lot calmer & there was a fatal shark attack recently at Makena beach.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you mean the recent fatality, the attack was not in Makena Beach, it was in Wailea, 50 meters south of the Faimont Kea Lani , which is about three resorts south of the Marriott.

My drive to lax was about 10,000 times riskier then the risk of a shark attack at the Faimont, which concluded yesterday.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still gives me the willies, I stayed at the Fairmont last January and swam about a mile in the ocean everyday, I really wish I hadn't opened this post!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I got a points stay at Ritz next month, 5 nights for 4, so barely out of pocket cost for me. I hear great things about Ritz property, snorkeling, scenery, etc. I hear the Grand Wailea is fantastic as well and will pop over there for a few nights too, also MR redemption.

Question, no out of pocket expense involved, Ritz or Grand Wailea? Kids and wife are in tow as well, young teenagers. Is the Wailea pool that cold? Been to Maui many times and Kaanapali Beach area is way to crowded for us.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Just to make sure you're clear, the Grand Wailea is a Hilton-affiliated property. There is a Marriott resort right next door to it (that I actually prefer for a myriad of reasons), but if you want a free stay at the Grand Wailea you'll need Hilton, not Marriott points.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
I got a points stay at Ritz next month, 5 nights for 4, so barely out of pocket cost for me. I hear great things about Ritz property, snorkeling, scenery, etc. I hear the Grand Wailea is fantastic as well and will pop over there for a few nights too, also MR redemption.

Question, no out of pocket expense involved, Ritz or Grand Wailea? Kids and wife are in tow as well, young teenagers. Is the Wailea pool that cold? Been to Maui many times and Kaanapali Beach area is way to crowded for us.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Just to make sure you're clear, the Grand Wailea is a Hilton-affiliated property. There is a Marriott resort right next door to it (that I actually prefer for a myriad of reasons), but if you want a free stay at the Grand Wailea you'll need Hilton, not Marriott points.
I think OP is referring to the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:49 am

Yes the Marriott Wailea, not the Hilton, sorry.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wailea has three pools. A large general pool, an adults only pool, and the keiki area which has slides. Your kids will likely spend most of their time in the slide area.

The adult pool is the one several people including myself have commented on as being particularly cold.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Why do you like the Mariott Wailea better than the Grand Wailea? I stayed at the GW two years ago and loved it! From what I could tell from the outside, we made a good decision when we walked by the Marriott.

I am Marriott Plat now, so I would consider a stay the next time if the rooms or service were on par with the GW.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by threedjmay
Why do you like the Mariott Wailea better than the Grand Wailea? I stayed at the GW two years ago and loved it! From what I could tell from the outside, we made a good decision when we walked by the Marriott.

I am Marriott Plat now, so I would consider a stay the next time if the rooms or service were on par with the GW.
Five reasons, each of them admittedly subjective although confirmed (in my eyes) over years of visits to Maui:

- Staff quality. The Marriott staff seems genuinely friendly and helpful, at every position. GW staff come across as indifferent, bored, untrained, and generally substandard.

- Maintenance and upkeep. The GW is like a supermodel who's let herself go. You can see how wonderful the place once was (and I was there the year of opening, so remember it well), but it's like they haven't invested a penny in painting, walkway repair, rooms, pools, etc. since then. The Marriott, while not as fancy a property, has generally been lovingly cared for.

- Overall "feel". The GW feels like a sprawling, illogical, confusing mess. Once in the hallways you might as well be at a hotel in Phoenix or Omaha for all of the Hawaiian style it has. The Marriott is more traditionally Hawaiian, in both the common areas and the rooms.

- Treatment of elites. As a Marriott plat I have consistently received upgrades ranging from impressive (suites in the tall tower) to amazing (oceanfront suites) with no prodding at all. As a Hilton diamond I've gotten squat at the GW, even after asking and when seeing tons of availability online.

- Finally, price. The Marriott has the reputation as the poor man's choice in Wailea and therefore cannot command a premium price. I feel (obviously) that reputation is undeserved, but I am happy to benefit from the lower room rates, restaurant prices, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:40 pm

Marriott Wailea or Ritz? Remove the price factor, any preferences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.