Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Blain

- Wife was a little distraught at the cockroach she found crawling around our bathroom at 2:00 am. Later in our stay, she found a lizard which she took a picture of and then helped leave our room rather quickly.
The occasional small gecko is OK with me. But I have ZERO tolerance for La Cucaracha!
The only other comment I have on this property that you didn't mention or maybe that didn't bother you. And that's the distance from the hotel to the beach. I like oceanfront rooms where you can hear and clearly see the ocean. The Ritz is, IMO, setback too far from the ocean. Otherwise, I have to agree this is a very nice property.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Blain,

Just want to thank you for your three great reviews. (Posting here after reading this one last.) These are all properties we have considered for our next visit to Hawaii, as an alternative to the Hilton. We visited the JW the last time for a look around and were impressed with the appearance, although yours and others' concerns about the staff are also noteworthy. It sounds like one should definitely plan on a breakfast-included rate if staying at the Ritz. Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:33 pm

Blain,

Great reviews, very helpful.

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:31 am

MR at RC Kapalua

I'm trying to reserve the RC Kapalua using a Marriott reward. RC says the reward rooms for my dates (1/28-2/4/06) have not been released yet. Anyone have any experience with this, and/or know when they release 2006 reward rooms? I have a reservation at the Ren Kapalua, but am a little concerned as they are tearing it down in 2007. Any thoughts on that? Thanks
Old May 12, 2005, 6:44 pm

You're supposed to be able to book reservations as far as 50 weeks in advance in Marriott's reservation system (aka MARHSA).

I find it more likely that there is no availability for Awards on the days you seek, as opposed to the rooms themselves not being released for booking at all.

Originally Posted by frankhi
I have a reservation at the Ren Kapalua, but am a little concerned as they are tearing it down in 2007. Any thoughts on that?
What?!? Tearing it down? It just became a part of the system, for heaven's sake!
Old May 13, 2005, 4:50 am

Actually coming down in spring of 06
http://www.pga.com/news/industry/bus...ider011805.cfm

What?!? Tearing it down? It just became a part of the system, for heaven's sake![/QUOTE]
Old May 7, 2006, 10:49 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Good Rate at the Ritz Kapalua

My friend is going to Maui in August. She wants to stay at the Ritz. She is curious if there are any good rates out there she should ask for.

Thanks in advance...
Old May 8, 2006, 6:54 am

You could try going through the discount codes posted in the master thread.

I've always found as Marriott and Ritz use the same central reservation system (MARSH) the codes are the same and can sometimes get a lower rate.
Old May 8, 2006, 5:08 pm

You can buy (online at ritzcarlton.com or at any Ritz gift shop) https://www.ritzcarlton.com/corporat...ate/order.asp?
Gift certificates as follows: "Gracious Getaway", $350, includes room and breakfast for 2 or $500 for "Elegent Retreat" - includes club suite. Note that you will be charged the $18 resort fee and taxes based on the regular rate for these rooms. Still a great deal. You can call Ritz Carlton to see if these certificates will be honored during your stay (they are capacity controlled). If they are, book the room, and then buy the certificates (i.e. don't buy the certificates before you have a reservation).

The taxes for a club suite in August appear to be $98.52, and there is an $18 resort fee. Still, you will be getting a room that is usually $961 including taxes and resort fees for $616.

I've sent you some other ideas in a private message.
Old May 8, 2006, 5:21 pm

I was there for a conference last fall, with an incredibly discounted rate: $165/night, and upgraded to a small suite at that price.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I tried to get a discount here last year, no dice. It really pissed me off because the convention rate (as shown above) is much lower than the ripoff retail rate. i don't like being discriminated against (as a non-group booking). So I took my business elsewhere. That's the way the free market works.

P.S. No regrets -- the Sheraton was awesome, much better beach.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I tried to get a discount here last year, no dice. It really pissed me off because the convention rate (as shown above) is much lower than the ripoff retail rate. i don't like being discriminated against (as a non-group booking). So I took my business elsewhere. That's the way the free market works.

P.S. No regrets -- the Sheraton was awesome, much better beach.
Why so upset about not getting a discount or convention rate? I wouldn't call it discrimination. Like you said, its the free market. They can price their rooms however they like. I often find hotel room rates that seem overpriced to me. When I do, I go elsewhere. I usually don't hold a grudge.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Why so upset about not getting a discount or convention rate? I wouldn't call it discrimination. Like you said, its the free market. They can price their rooms however they like. I often find hotel room rates that seem overpriced to me. When I do, I go elsewhere. I usually don't hold a grudge.
When you go to Safeway and buy a dozen eggs, you pay the same price as the next person in line (unless you have a club card, which is free to everyone).

When you go to the gas station to fill up, you pay the same price as the next car in line.

Why should business people - most of whom are expensing the hotel or writing it off - get a lower rate than a tourist?

You are right - RC is free to price their rooms as they like. And I am free to criticize their pricing scheme (as many do with airlines) and take my business to a hotel that will treat me at least as well as the next guy.
Old May 11, 2006, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
When you go to Safeway and buy a dozen eggs, you pay the same price as the next person in line (unless you have a club card, which is free to everyone).

When you go to the gas station to fill up, you pay the same price as the next car in line.

Why should business people - most of whom are expensing the hotel or writing it off - get a lower rate than a tourist?

You are right - RC is free to price their rooms as they like. And I am free to criticize their pricing scheme (as many do with airlines) and take my business to a hotel that will treat me at least as well as the next guy.
First, business people typically pay the same or close to the same price as tourists. If I need to go to Maui next week, my rate through my corporate travel would be the same, possibly more, than if I book the hotel myself.

Now, if I was attending a conference, as the poster did, yes, rates are often much cheaper. Since the event organizer is bringing in a very large group of people, rooms rates will be negotiated and often deeply discounted (Costco vs Safeway). Further, the event organizer is getting gouged on convention and food services, and the room rate is part of overall package.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
And I am free to criticize their pricing scheme (as many do with airlines) and take my business to a hotel that will treat me at least as well as the next guy...
You're living in fantasyland... How many hotels do you really think don't engage in this type of pricing? Except for really high end places like Aman and really low end places, almost every hotel in the US prices individuals, groups, and corporate negotiated rates at dramatically different rates.

Also, take note of egg prices the next time you're in Safeway. If you buy the bigger package-- like the 18 pack-- you'll pay less per egg than if you buy the 6 pack or dozen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.