Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Aside from the elite recognition (or lack thereof) how were the rooms? Have they been renovated? Was the lounge worth the extra $$$?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
I just finished a stay there. I'm lifetime titanium and active current year with 120 stays too. My best summary for the RC Maui/Kapalua is the resort itself is gorgeous, but you need completely zero expectations that you'll get any benefit from Bonvoy status. No recognition at check-in. Not even the standard "thank you for your status." And this was our 3rd stay at this property too, so i was floored.
Zero upgrade given. I was told there was a residence property that was available for upgrade and it was "$900/night but with my status she could do $750 per night." Still only a partial ocean view room. so just bigger sq ft, at $3500 more for the stay over what i already shelled out with points and cash.
Biggest frustration for me to share the heads-up, when i booked, on the marriott site and my email confirmation, there was nothing that indicated my room i picked with a cash upgrade charge gave the new Lounge as a per person charge. Her check-in process told me our 13yr old daughter was going to cost me another $100/day to get lounge access. I said 'huh'? i booked a room clearly with 2 adults and 1 child and paid for a view upgrade that came with Lounge access. Showed her the email and had to challenge why i disagreed with this. Reminded her of my lifetime titanium status and just thought she would smile and recognize this was silly but allow all 3 of us access. nope. she had to go back into a room to talk to a manager twice! finally the charge was removed/not applied begrudgingly. Yes - i use that word. It was a rather mortifying checkin experience to be challenged so vocally about a charge i was never told i was going to have.

checkout: this is post Sentry golf tourney and post xmas holiday, so kids are back in school. Hotel was a ghost town the last full day and even more scarce on my checkout day. I went to the desk and asked if i could get a late checkout. Was told no. I asked if she could check again with my status please and i got a "i can give you 1 extra hour to 1:00.". no hospitality room offer, nothing.

So IMO, there was just less than zero acknowledgement of anything with Bonvoy status here. truly disappointing. the hotel is a ritz in maui. so as a guest, it's great. as a guest that only gives 120 nights a year to have points for hotels like this, it's frustrating. So much that we are a 11 time visit to Maui and 3 to that Ritz - my wife even said she wouldn't go back to that property.

if you are looking to pay for an upgraded room, my $.02 on the new "firepit rooms" also did not seem worth it. the pictures are amazing and they imply it's a new building area and those are really upgraded rooms now. They aren't. mostly the east side wing ground floor rooms got a new flagstone patio extension with a pergola and a firepit and better flowers/landscaping. So the room is the same, its the outdoor patio that is visually better. But they are ground level, not elevated with ocean views at all. In our 5 days there, i never say one room even use their firepit. I almost grabbed one of these rooms during the website browsing and very glad i didn't pay the crazy upgrade $$.

if it helps - the Marriott Wailea beach is where we stayed first for a week. 4 coupons for Mai Tais, vouchers daily at starbucks or their coffee shop for continental breakfast, room upgrade, chocolates of the day that my daughter loved to get at the front desk. I'm sure there were other benefits i can't even remember. Just such a great stay and felt so appreciated every single day from checkin arrival (ex: knew my name and gave us juice/champagne before even getting in line - vs RC that did nothing of the sort) until checkout.

have a great stay - again, it's still the RC in maui. so it's awesome. But just be aware. enjoy the awesome as a guest. They don't care anything about your status at that property.
I also just completed a stay and had a completely different experience. I was booked into the lowest room category on points, during Sentry. My lifetime Titanium status was acknowledged at checkin and we were upgraded to a one bedroom residential suite. Technically a garden view, but the lanais had ocean views.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Aside from the elite recognition (or lack thereof) how were the rooms? Have they been renovated? Was the lounge worth the extra $$$?
Can’t answer as to the lounge as I didn’t pay for it, but the one bedroom residential suite we were upgraded to a week ago was beautiful and clearly pretty recently renovated.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I also just completed a stay and had a completely different experience. I was booked into the lowest room category on points, during Sentry. My lifetime Titanium status was acknowledged at checkin and we were upgraded to a one bedroom residential suite. Technically a garden view, but the lanais had ocean views.
Jealous! I must be cursed. ha
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Rooms were fine. our last stay at this RC was 8 years ago? don't recall what it looked like back then. standard room with flat screen. bathroom was great actually. Funny part was the floors were this awesome visual wood, very classy looking. however, they were so slippery (assume laminate or vinyl, definitely not wood) and when you were barefoot or with socks, you would literally slide across the floor. hysterical. but an honest legit concern we had if we had brought my mom or MIL like we had planned. she could have only work shoes 100% or non-slip socks.

Lounge was very nice. staff there is beyond words service oriented. breakfast is the main meal laid out and great/as expected. they do a light lunch, an afternoon snack, and a dessert serving. Bar (liquor) is 4PM to 8 and beer/wine/mimosa is anytime. fancy coffee machine and snacks (candy/fruit/granola) available anytime. For us, very worth it. but i'm hearing it's now like $600 per 2 person occupancy, so other guests pay more to join. to me, that is definitely not worth it. if priced right, or in a package, it was a great option and i enjoyed it.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
forgive me for being nosy ... did you get a pure upgrade? or did they upgrade you but also have to pay $750-$900/night for that upgraded one bedroom?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:54 am

forgive me for being nosy ... did you get a pure upgrade? or did they upgrade you but also have to pay $750-$900/night for that upgraded one bedroom?
Pure upgrade. No additional charge. Didn’t even have to ask for it. It was pre-assigned before my arrival and I saw it that morning on the app before even getting on my flight to Maui.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Rooms were fine. our last stay at this RC was 8 years ago? don't recall what it looked like back then. standard room with flat screen. bathroom was great actually. Funny part was the floors were this awesome visual wood, very classy looking. however, they were so slippery (assume laminate or vinyl, definitely not wood) and when you were barefoot or with socks, you would literally slide across the floor. hysterical. but an honest legit concern we had if we had brought my mom or MIL like we had planned. she could have only work shoes 100% or non-slip socks.

Lounge was very nice. staff there is beyond words service oriented. breakfast is the main meal laid out and great/as expected. they do a light lunch, an afternoon snack, and a dessert serving. Bar (liquor) is 4PM to 8 and beer/wine/mimosa is anytime. fancy coffee machine and snacks (candy/fruit/granola) available anytime. For us, very worth it. but i'm hearing it's now like $600 per 2 person occupancy, so other guests pay more to join. to me, that is definitely not worth it. if priced right, or in a package, it was a great option and i enjoyed it.
Do they have snacks or hors d'oeuvres in the evening along with the bar offerings?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Just clarifying, are your comments about the lounge based on your experience 8 years ago? Or anything more recent? There are some decent deals for club level rooms via Costco, wondering if it would be worth it for the free breakfast and snacks (which the 4 year old would happily eat nonstop for a week).
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by no1cub17
There are some decent deals for club level rooms via Costco
Examples? Marriott.com Club Level rate vs. Costco R-C K Club Level rate.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dayone
I saw $2,700 in savings between the two rates for a 7 night mid-February stay. Worth looking into if you are a Costco member.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by dayone
I think the Costco special goes through Jan 31 and you can search for rates on costcotravel.com. You have to be a member to book but anyone can search for the vacation packages. I just booked 5 nights in a 2 bedroom ocean view residence in June that includes resort fee, free valet parking, breakfast for 2 people daily and $500 resort credit for <$10,000 (and includes rental car). The same room booked through Marriott is almost $16,000 with AAA rate and doesn't include any of the extras. The costo booking can be canceled with no penalty up to 3 weeks before our trip. I'm not earning points/nights for the stay booking through Costco but this deal is well worth it.
dgreen12 and Nagasaki Joe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.