Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:16 am
In Memoriam

Thinking about this a bit more. In Tokyo, maybe more than other places, location should be an extra heavy factor in your selection tree.

Being close to the subway is great, unless your travels are all on the JR system. You can easily end up with an hour and 1-2 miles walking extra each way just to get to the right rail system.

I would seriously go with the recommendations of your hosts and probably forget about the points for this trip.

I especially agree with the New Otani Comments. Japanese Hotel with western standards. Very Nice. ANd there are several there like that.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well the good news about this thread is I was thinking of all Marriott chains when looking into Tokyo. Based on this, will never stay at Ren; maybe at Marriott.

I stayed at Grand Hyatt (near Ropangi Hills where MJM is next to) earlier this year - LOVED IT!!!!!!! Would be hard-pressed to stay at Marriott or Hilton, even though though those are my main chains. But after reading this thread, Marriott chain probably off my list - at least in Tokyo.

Cheers. Sharon..
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:24 am

Smile Ginza Tobu - Good for Us

My wife and I have stayed at the Ginza Tobu twice over the last several years and found it to be a great Japanese hotel (note - not american). We completely enjoyed our room, the very japanese breakfast (which came with the room), and the service from the very friendly and English-knowledgeable staff.
If you are expecting a large Americal-like hotel you will be disappointed. If you want to feel like you are in Japan, this is a good place. For example, they have data sheets on many of the attractions in Tokyo freely available at the concierge desk, which were a great help.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:09 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by OldTWAPlatGuy
My wife and I have stayed at the Ginza Tobu twice over the last several years and found it to be a great Japanese hotel (note - not american). We completely enjoyed our room, the very japanese breakfast (which came with the room), and the service from the very friendly and English-knowledgeable staff.
If you are expecting a large Americal-like hotel you will be disappointed. If you want to feel like you are in Japan, this is a good place. For example, they have data sheets on many of the attractions in Tokyo freely available at the concierge desk, which were a great help.
Had a very similar experience, and would in fact recommend this property. Only positive things to say about the way my wife and I were treated. Stayed twice over the summer 2004.

Also - fantastic location.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
If you want to get Marriott points and stay in Tokyo, the New Otani is the place to stay. You can catch one of the numerous limo buses direct from Narita airport. If you want a Marriott nearer Osaka the Nagoya Marriott is one of my favorite Marriott properties in the world. It is situated on top of Nagoya station making it super convenient. This hotel is only about 5 years old.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott gold, HH gold,SPG gold
I second the comments about the Nagoya marriott. It truly is a lovely hotel, right at the station and they have a wonderful club lounge. As for Tokyo, I would go with the New Otani. You can get Marriott points for staying there (max of 1000 points per night) and it has everytjing that you need. If you choose New Otani, I suggest joining their club (free) on the web site. Club members have a separate check-in area, get room upgrades when available and get breakfast.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, HH Silver. AA, DL
Thanks everyone. Your input along with my host will help me make the trip more enjoyable and comfortable. First trip to Japan!

FrogFlier
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:15 pm

Programs: United MM
The New Otani is quite nice, but if you are looking to earn Marriott points, remember that you will earn some fixed (puny) amount... unrelated to the $$$ you spend on your stay (and your bill won't have your Marriott account printed, but I received the points in just a few days).

I haven't tried the Rennaisance Ginza but am booked to stay there for a 10-night stay later this month. Could someone shed light on the following:
1) Will I earn Marriott points based on $$$ spent (x points per $)? I will change hotels if they give fixed number of points like the Otani. A 10-night stay should be worth a lot of points and I want to be absolutely sure that I will get them.
2) Is it close to a subway (as in, less than 5 minutes walk)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nowhereman

I haven't tried the Rennaisance Ginza but am booked to stay there for a 10-night stay later this month. Could someone shed light on the following:

2) Is it close to a subway (as in, less than 5 minutes walk)?

Thanks!
Yes, very close to subway - perhaps a 2 minute walk.

I'm actually a little surprised at some of the negative comment about this property. I stayed there twice in 04 and found its location fantastic, service great, good business centre, friendly & helpful concierge, great free drink coupons etc.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: United MM
I agree with the comments about the Ginza Tobu Renaissance being in a great location, but my room was so bad that mid-week I changed hotels and moved across town to the Century Hyatt (same price range, but about 2000% better). The rooms had no cooling, only heating (and the window couldn't be opened). And even though I turned off the heating, the entire hotel was kept at what seemed like sauna-like temperature. It was awful. The furnishings were worn out, the bathroom belonged to Motel 6, not Renaissance and the TV belonged to a desktop computer (about 17" LCD screen).

For those of us who have stayed at the Sao Paulo or Paris Renaissance, prepare to be disappointed in the quality of the rooms.

But if location is important, then grin and bear it

PS: I didn't request a room change... Couldn't be bothered... I didn't feel like arguing with the hotel management and moving rooms. If they had a better room, they should have given it to me in the first place. Oh, and I wasn't offered free drink coupons either.

Last edited by nowhereman; Jan 30, 2005 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
New Otani Hotel, Tokyo

It has been recommended to me by my Japanese colleague to stay at this hotel for my trip in April. Looks like I'll get 1000 Marriott points per night for my stay there. What I like to know is if my stay at this hotel will be credited toward my elite status with Marriott? Compare this hotel to Marriott Tokyo Renaissance, which one is better in term of accommodations? Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
No one knows? What is Marriott's general policy about the stays at partner hotels?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Our Tokyo office always wanted me to stay at the New Otani, so I have no experience at the Renaissance. I never got Marriott points for many stays at the New Otani. We had a corporate rate, and they always told me I was paying too little for Marriott points.

The hotel is beautiful - very large, yet has a very good feeling to it. I liked having breakfast in the lounge overlooking the Japanese garden - very tranquil start to the day. The rooms are well furnished, and comfortable.

Hotel restaurants are very expensive, but there are many small restaurants in easy walking distance.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here are some relevant threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=17
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=Tokyo
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...53&postcount=5
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:25 am

My two stays at the New Otani have been great and both times I recieved points and nights towards elite status.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.