Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Any reviews on (New Otani Hotel, Tokyo] hotel, and to what extent Marriot awards points and nights toward status ?

Any other NRT hotels to comment upon ?

Thanks,

-- John

------------------

Last edited by bdschobel; Apr 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm Reason: added hotel name after merge
Old Jan 25, 2001, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Stayed there several years ago. Loved the hotel. The chinese food buffet on the top floor was expensive ($60 US), but I felt it was actually worth the money (included real bird's nest soup). The ability to get a Shiatsu massage every night, just by lifting the phone (much quicker than room service) was wonderful. My room (award stay) was actually large and well equipped.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
The New Otani Tokyo is a very nice property. Not cheap, but excellent service and typically nice, Japanese style rooms. There are rooms in a lower-rise building and Tower. Maybe someone else can tell us the difference.

Go to their website and join the New Otani Club for free. Gets you some nice extras (breakfast with many room rates, which in Tokyo, is a nice savings). There's also a special check-in area and maybe an upgrade to a better room.

Also, when I registered in the Fall, there was a special deal with United that got me extra miles. And, I might mention, the New Otani always seems to have nice arrangements with the airlines in terms of miles credited to your frequent flyer account. Check out their website.

As far as Marriott is concerned, it's 1,000 points PER NIGHT. Not a bad deal, but even a heavily discounted room at the New Otani can be costly (but certainly on par with similar properties in Tokyo). I do not believe that these stays count toward status with Marriott elite levels.

If you have a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket, or if your company loves to through money around, then check out the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Very nice property.

Anyone know anything about the Renaissance in Tokyo?

(Edited for REALLY bad spelling tonight)

[This message has been edited by JohnnyGlobal (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old Jan 26, 2001, 7:49 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very nice!
Old Jan 27, 2001, 12:55 am

The Tokyo Renaissance is very centrally located, right in the Ginza, unlike the New Otani which really is not very convenient. But the rooms are small and I could barely stand up in the shower (I'm 6'2") with only about a 2" clearance. But, we're going back for 3 nights in February because free is still free
Paul
Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Marriott Hotel Properties in Tokyo

Going to Tokyo week before Easter and want to use award certificate. Need advice on Marriott vs. Renaissance. I've seen some posts comparing the two but they are somewhat outdated. Anybody got any recent experience at either of these two properties? I realize Marriott is in a less desirable location than Ren but I think amenities may be more important to me. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 11:11 pm

The Marriott is in a out of the way location but you will receive all the bells and whistles that you'd get at any other Marriott. The Ren is in a great location but it's a converted Ramada (or something like that) The rooms are small, in hotel facilities limited, but again, the location is key.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Some of the New Otani hotels are in the Marriott program. However, I am not sure if you earn points with them or if they are 'rewards only' properties (ala Ritz Carlton).
Old Mar 10, 2001, 3:22 am

All of the properties are converts...

The Ginza Tobu is a great location, nice hotel, easy subway access that connects to the right place at Tokyo central.

The Tokyo Kinscheku (sp??) is also a former Tobu Hotel, looks like but doesn't act like a Marriott.... The subway line puts you in Tokyo Central station in the outside edge. Horrible connections.

In the end, get a subway map, see where you need to be going, let that make your choice. If it doesn't matter, Ginza wins.

I have stayed at New Otani, stay with the Ginza Tobu. Also, take the bus to Central Bus station, the bus to Ginza now is the last stop. Bus to Central station, take a cab, saves an hour.....

Old Mar 11, 2001, 12:46 pm

Ginza Ginza Ginza! THe Marriott Shinkichu is far away and not on the main subway line. You need to take a JR train. And the subways don't run late at night so if you go out late, you'll have to take a taxi. The Ginza Tobu was a Ramada Renaissance years ago and yes, the rooms are tiny. But most hotel room in Tokyo are small and, in an exciting city like Tokyo, who stays in the room anyway. I just did a 3 night award stay there and we got full Japanese (good) or American (not so good) breakfast included. I thought about the New Otani but it requires so many more points and it really is a huge, bustling hotel about 10 minutes away from the nearest subway. In a frantic city like Tokyo, it was nice coming back to the peaceful Renaissance Ginza. Just my 2 cents.
Have a great trip.
Paul
Old Mar 12, 2001, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like the Ren gets the nod because of location. Looking forward to spending 5 days there week before Easter. With BE upgrade on DL's new JFK/NRT route, ought to be a pleasurable experience all the way around.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 12:24 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Just resurrecting this old topic as I am considering a trip to Tokyo. Anyone else have comments on the Renaissance or the Marriott in Tokyo?

I'm looking in next June (trying to book as far out as possible) and can not get ANY award availability from the Renaissance. The Marriott does have some; and I'm able to get the Renaissance for dates in May 2002. I wonder if the Renaissance has not updated their award inventory yet.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 5:09 pm

The Marriott was formerly a Ramada (not even a Ramada Renaissance) and is still very inconvenient.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 9:36 pm

Programs: Many
Keep the humidity and temps in mind as you get into mid May and beyond. Summers in Japan in my experience make the southeastern USA (and even Singapore) seem pleasant and dry by comparison...

Old Jan 30, 2002, 5:50 pm

Renaissance Tokyo Ginza becoming a Courtyard

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in March.

Item 10 under the "Elite Membership" section of the online Terms & Conditions states that Renaissance Tokyo is one of the properties that "do not provide elite member benefits."

So, does this mean, as a gold elite, that, among other things, upgrade requests are not honored, no access to concierge level, or no bonus points?

Can anyone who's stayed there recently as an elite share their experiences? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.