Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be better off using this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...kyo-japan.html
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Hi, we will be staying in Tokyo in December - family of 4- kids ages 11 and 13. I already have a reward reservation with Tokyo Marriott (with extra charge for roll-away bed). Which properties would you recommend that is a good access point? We are flying into Narita and then out from HND. I would prefer to use the NRT express and then a taxi (if it's not crazy expensive). What do you recommend? I can email the hotels to ask re. occupancy. I am Gold Elite - would love access to the lounge if there is one. I know the benefits changed so any successes would be great.

Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laurava
Hi, we will be staying in Tokyo in December - family of 4- kids ages 11 and 13. I already have a reward reservation with Tokyo Marriott (with extra charge for roll-away bed). Which properties would you recommend that is a good access point? We are flying into Narita and then out from HND. I would prefer to use the NRT express and then a taxi (if it's not crazy expensive). What do you recommend? I can email the hotels to ask re. occupancy. I am Gold Elite - would love access to the lounge if there is one. I know the benefits changed so any successes would be great.

Thank you!
I can't say I know Japan or Tokyo and I definitely don't know the Marriott properties there. My impression is:

1 - Tokyo is a huge city. This one seems somewhat out of the way from the tourist stuff. It is not clear what exactly you mean by "good access point"

2 - The NEX is not cheap and "not crazy expensive" for taxis is relative. Taxis in Tokyo are expensive by many people's standards. It seems the best bet might be to find hotels that are drop off / pickup points for the limousine bus (which this one is). The buses might take longer because they have to stop at multiple hotels/points but it is convenient

3 - the Japanese go by the rules. The new Gold does not get lounge access so I would not expect to get access without paying for it
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Thank you!
A good access point is anything close to a station. Whatever you are going to do and see in Tokyo, it will mean moving around a fair bit. It is a huge city

Tokyo Marriott is 10-15 minutes walk from Shinagawa Station. There is also a free shuttle bus to the station. It is not the best location in terms of being close to transport, but it is not bad either. The Prince Sakura Tower brings you a lot closer to the station. And Shinagawa Station is only 13 minutes by train from Haneda

The choice between NEX+taxi or bus to the hotel depends highly on timing and destination. Some hotels don't have frequent bus services, so there may be a bit of a wait. The taxi tag on will be between 600 and 1500 yen for most options I can think of. The bus is 3100 for adults, train just below 3000.

As already mentioned, we like specific rules in Japan, so you will get exactly the elite benefits afforded you under the new rules.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia

Thank you!
Will you be staying in one room with 4 persons? Let us know how it was. It’s always good to know hotels in Tokyo that accept a family of 4 using one (non-suite) room.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that the bigger problem in Tokyo will be finding a hotel that allows your family of four, with older kids, to occupy a standard room.

Beyond that, I would suggest using the airport limobus for door to door service versus taking the train and then a taxi to the hotel unless you have a rail pass and number of days that gives the airport train for free. This then means picking a hotel on the limobus routes for both NRT and HND that operates at the times you need.

As a gold, you won't get lounge access at Starriotts in Japan unless you pay for it.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like the bus - other than the amount of time it takes. Wifi and bathroom onboard but phone calls are not allowed (they also don't talk on the phone on the trains).

Advanced reservation is needed leaving the hotel.

They also have deals - for example, won't apply to OP, I bought one with round trip HND-Downtown + 3 Day Tokyo Metro Pass for 3500 Yen. https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/ is their website and check out the various discounts.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The bus should not be ignored, the ability to go directly to your hotel, or to have someone help you with the luggage over to the taxi when you have a lot of luggage are clear benefits in favour of the bus.

Due to my location in Tokyo, I always take the bus to Narita, and only the train back if there is a pause in the departures for the hotels close to my home
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The rooms at the Autograph are bigger - they have rooms 2 double beds (the corner room we stayed at is huge), it's like 500 sq. ft.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Prince Sakura Autograph. Contact hotel in advance to confirm, but room size is certainly large enough. See my detailed posting in that hotel’s thread. Good location also for Narita Express and to leave from Hanefa as well. Exactly what we did.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:19 am

I second the suggestion of Prince Sakura. My family of four stayed there over this past summer. The room was plenty big enough for us. The two double bed's measure 140cm across...which is bigger than the typical Japanese 120cm standard. Also - they had a really nice club lounge for Platinum. The quality of the food was excellent. It is practically next door to Shinagawa station and a million restaurants.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that the bigger problem in Tokyo will be finding a hotel that allows your family of four, with older kids, to occupy a standard room.

Beyond that, I would suggest using the airport limobus for door to door service versus taking the train and then a taxi to the hotel unless you have a rail pass and number of days that gives the airport train for free. This then means picking a hotel on the limobus routes for both NRT and HND that operates at the times you need.

As a gold, you won't get lounge access at Starriotts in Japan unless you pay for it.
Do you know how much extra lounge access would cost?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Planning to visit next October for the Rugby World Cup. Seem to have amassed a lot of unused points so will hopefully be staying for 'free'. Certainly seems to be plenty of availability in September at the moment, but still waiting for mid-October to open up.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Do you know how much extra lounge access would cost?
I would guess that you would have to book a room that comes with club access.

That said, Sakura Tower has a pleasant little lounge, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to pay to use it.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
We're not such big fans of gardens and temples anyway, not to worry. But during my first stay, we went to the Imperial Palace Gardens and the Meiji shrine, and that was nice.
Just so that one sees a bit more of Tokyo than amazing nightlife and food.
Stay at the Prince Gallery. It’s fantastic.
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.