Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:49 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by J_Hawk
I have stayed at the Ginza Tobu hotel on multiple occasions and found the location to be excellent, the staff to be courteous and the rooms to be extremely small by western standards. I stayed on the concierge level and the rooms are about half the size of a standard Marriot room in the states. The Limo bus from NRT is the way to travel from the airport to the hotel. Ginza Tobu is one of the first stops that the limo bus makes so the trip is only about an hour from NRT. During my stopovers at Ginza Tobu I never have experienced any situation that I would describe as horrific. The rooms were clean, the service was sufficient, the breakfast was decent and the location is terrific for getting around the city, as a subway station is only a few blocks away.
Agree entirely with this post - including transportation suggestion (qualification - only stayed at this property on one occasion)
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Limo Bus from NRT?

Thanks for the info on the hotel (especially the Beer Hall!) Does anyone know the name of the Limo Bus and/or where to catch it, how to pay, etc.? I couldn't find it in search and want to nail down the details before stumbling off the plane. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by dogmom11
Thanks for the info on the hotel (especially the Beer Hall!) Does anyone know the name of the Limo Bus and/or where to catch it, how to pay, etc.? I couldn't find it in search and want to nail down the details before stumbling off the plane. Thanks!
Airport Limo... after you exit customs, you will see hoards of busses outside. The folks at the ticket window will set you straight. Very well organized, even I never screwed that up. The nice thing is you can buy a beer and drink it outside while you wait.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Limo bus was 3000 yen about $26 US from Narita to the Conrad where I am currently staying...passed the Renaissance in my travels yesterday and boy is it a great location but I am staying at the Conrad...now if you have options outside of the Marriott family...this is the place to stay!!!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Searched for info on the Renaissance Tokyo Hotel Ginza Tobu, but most/all of the reviews were a year or more old. Has anyone stayed there recently and have any thoughts?

I understand it's close to a train station and that's the best way from NRT. Any other thoughts- service, space, proximity to interesting attractions, etc?

TIA,
GG
I'm here right now - probably too late for information for you though since I'm just now reading this thread.

The hotel is okay. Nothing special, nothing wrong with it. I'm PP and did not get a room upgrade. There isn't a lounge but they gave me coupons for breakfast each morning (buffet) and coupons for drinks (1 per night).

The subway is 2 blocks in one direction and the train is 3 blocks in the other direction.

Best way to get here from the airport is to take the Airport Limo (it's a bus but they call it a limo). Do NOT take a cab from the aiport - $200+ USD.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
Stayed at the Renaissance Ginza back in February on a reward stay. I'd say the other posters have it down pretty well: Great location, small and slightly outdated rooms, friendly staff, and good breakfast buffet. The bar is very sad, so the drink coupons aren't worth redeeming. All in all as the only Marriott redemption option in central Tokyo, it's not bad, but it could be nicer. By comparison, I also stayed at the Westin Tokyo during this time and it was much, much nicer. American sized rooms, beautiful modern bathroom and a wonderful view of Mt Fuji right outside our window (I think we got an upgraded room since I was SPG Plat at the time). However, it was well outside of the central district and less convienent for transportation unless you need to be in that area. Let's hope Marriott finds some new properties in the area soon!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Thought the other comments on this hotel were pretty spot-on and really helpful to me in picking hotel for recent stay (although not to hard a choice as only Marriott in Tokyo). Just checked out on Friday after a couple of nights, thought the rooms were fine (guess have low expectations of room size for the low rate (sub 20,000 Yen)). Free internet and good shower pressure were bonus, location is phenomenal. Got up early morning first morning (0500) and walked over to central market to see the frozen tuna auction and wander the market for an hour or so. Great shopping on morning off all around hotel (including Sony store with PlayStation3 not yet available in US at the time). Airport Limo back to NRT is easy to arrange through bell-desk, they just add to room bill. Overall, average hotel but great area.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
just got back

I just got back yesterday, having stayed at the Ginza property for five days. Highly recommended.

I was recognized, and thanked, for being Platinum. They apologized for not having an exec lounge and already had my coupons ready for breakfast and free drinks. I was given a choice of points or two foods and a drink for my gift.

They also apologized for no upgrades, all suites full. My room was fine, much better than typical US room, just not like many international properties. Free high speed internet made it a bargain.

Both the Japanese concierge (weekends) and the English one (weekdays) were very helpful with eveything. They also had a large rack of (free) write-ups on all the sights with very practical tips, written by an English-speaker. Even if you have a guidebook, you want to read these.

Location was so amazing for anything near Ginza, including the fantastic fish market, about 5 minutes away. Airport bus leaves you right at the door and picks you up the same. On the way it made a few stops, but express on the way back. Don't bother with any other way.

I also rented a mobile phone at the airport (US phones don't work in Japan, as most of you know). There are several right in the arrival's area. I used G-phone and it cost me 3000 Yen for the week. $26 without any other charges, since I just used it for inbound.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Why such crappy choices in Tokyo?

They have no full service Marriott, a pretty crappy Renaissance, and an Executive apartments that requires a 30 day stay.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:26 pm

They used to have one in Kinshicho district, now rebranded. Maybe they're trying to leverage the New Otani brand for MR members?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Nothing in Osaka either, but a very nice property in Nagoya.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Maybe they're trying to leverage the New Otani brand for MR members?
You can earn there, but can you redeem? I'm guessing no.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:37 am

Au contraire, albeit as a Partner Award:
https://marriott.com/rewards/partner...ll&elite=false
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
au contraire also

I stayed at the Rennaisance in December. Part of my mileage run, so it was my dime.

I agree it isn't the greatest facility, but:

1. The location is fantastic. A five minute walk from Ginza and the Tsukiji fish market. If you haven't been to the fish market, you haven't been to Tokyo.

2. The staff is fantastic. Not so much the desk staff, but the bell staff, and especially the concierge are terrific. The concierge is English speaking and has provided written itineraries for all sorts of tours and fun.

3. They don't have a club, so you have the run of the full breakfast if you are Platinum. In fact, you can eat at either the Western or Japanese place. At night, you get a free drink in the lounge. A little smoky, but again, the staff is very happy to serve you your free drink and you can tell. Have the "local" whisky or draft beer.

4. Internet access is FREE!

5. The rooms are well maintained and have high-tech toilets. I will leave this to your imagination.

6. Cost was very reasonable.

7. The airport express bus takes you right to the door. A few stops inbound, non-stop going back. Unless you have a bag full of money, you don't want to take the taxi.

8. I met a few very nice people there.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I also like the Ren Ginza

Disagree it is a crappy hotel. Sure it is an older property but so is Ginza. I have had many pleasant stays at this property and the location is way better than the former Marriott Kinshicho.

Hey, it sux there aren't many Marriott properties in NRT but I am going to TPE in April. Guess how many Marriotts in the whole country of Taiwan? Zero. So Shangri-La gets my dollars (New Taiwan Dollars that is).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.