Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
The easiest (and cheapest) is to take the train - the "local" actually gets you there jut as quickly as the Narita Express because you do not need to change trains.

On the lower level you can board the train (the airport is the end of the line so it only goes one way) and it will take approximately 50 minutes to the Kinshicho JR Train Station - no transfers necessary.

When you arrive at the station be sure you exit to the front on the station, which is the street the hotel is on, Kinshi Sumida-Ku. It's a two minute walk, turn left out of the station and the hotel is on the same side of the street, no need to cross across.

You can take the Narita Express, but you'll have to go to Tokyo station, change to the local line, and go back two stops to this station.

I've done it twice, and it's the best way.

If you are platinum by the way be sure to contact the hotel in advance to secure a room on the top floor - otherwise the rooms are very small (or so I've been told!). They have a great concierge, I believe her name is Julie, has always seen to it I've been well take care of - great service.

Enjoy,

Bruce
Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I took the train (actually used the Narita Express and then changed) and found it quite easy. I did not call in advance to let them know I was platinum and got upgraded to a nice corner room NOT on the top floor, but also got free breakfast coupons for every day and drink coupons for each evening. Next time in Tokyo, I will definitely stay here again!

------------------
CO plat, UA prem; Marriott plat, Hyatt plat, Hilton gold, Starwood gold, Fairmont gold; Avis select, Hertz 5-star, all the others base level...
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:17 am

Renaissance Tokyo Review

I recently stayed at the Renaissance Tokyo with points for three nights and what a waste of 78,000 points.

First, the hotel had its old Ramada signs everywhere, include my room key. And what a room key it was. It was an actual key with a shell that caused it to weight around five pounds. I don't think something more uncomfortable could fit into my pocket.

Second, the concierge was abysmal. They only had one and she was not helpful. She only worked from 8-4 and took an hour off for lunch. So, often there was no one there to help to guide and direct around Tokyo. When we asked her the best areas in Tokyo for nightlife, she said "I do not go out at night, so I cannot help you."

Third, the hotel needed a serious remodel. I suspect based on the current decor, the last time the hotel was remodeled was in the 70's.

Fourth, they wanted to charge me service charges and for internet use. As a platinum member, I did not feel this was appropriate. They said the service charges were because Japan did not have a tipping system. They also said Platinum members do not receive any special service for Internet. Needless to say, I had both charges removed after I talked with the Hotel Manager.

I would highly recommend no one stay here or at a minimum waste their points here. I will be calling the Platinum desk and requesting a refund on my points it was so bad. On a better note, I stayed at Westin Tokyo and would highly recommend it. They far and above exceeded my expectations, with a unbelievable breakfast, huge suite upgrade, and super attentive staff. Now they know how to treat a platinum guest!
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree. I had a terrible experience there in 1999 that I have described several times in old threads (that may be available through the search feature). I swore that I would never stay there again AND would tell everyone I know about how terrible the hotel is. I have kept both promises. This may be the worst hotel in the whole Marriott system (now that Orlando Worldgate Renaissance has left!).

Bruce
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:37 pm

Funny thing about those hotel keys at the Ginza Tobu. They have the room number and the name of the hotel on them. Don't lose it. The Japanese as a whole are pretty honest. But Murphy's law probably dictates that some dirtball will loot your room.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, HH Silver. AA, DL
Tokyo Marriott

What hotel is recommended? I am planning a trip to Osaka on business and it looks like closest Marriott property is Tokyo. There is a Marriott and a few Renaissance properties there. I will be there a week. Traveling through Narita. Any advise you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,

FrogFlier
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've stayed at the Renaissance twice and really don't like anything about it but its location, which is perfect. I've posted on FlyerTalk some of my bad experiences there, but the threads are pretty old and may not show up in the usual search. My two big complaints are:

1. The huge "service charge" imposed on award stays (something like $30/day), while receiving no service whatsoever -- not even a mint on my pillow, not once!!! I did get lots of rudeness, however, which must cost money there.

2. The totally hostile staff refused to acknowledge my Platinum status in any way. I didn't get lounge access, free breakfast, nothing!!! Just the aforementioned rudeness. And I'm really a pretty friendly guy. Save it at that place. It's wasted.

I wrote a long complaint letter to J.W. Marriott, Jr., which was answered unsatisfactorily by the hotel itself, basically telling me that everybody is treated just as badly as I was, so therefore I have no complaint!!! When I sent the hotel's response to Mr. Marriott, I got some action from headquarters. But I would never go back there.

I will be in Tokyo in May 2005 and have a reservation at the Marriott. The location is not very good (quite a distance from anything interesting), but a friend of mine stayed there and said that the subway is convenient, and the hotel itself is very nice. Maybe he'll elaborate.

Bruce
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed that your destination is actually Osaka, so you'll be staying in Tokyo just briefly. The Marriott is much closer to Narita, so I would definitely stay there.

Bruce
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:21 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
There are two Marriott properties in Tokyo which are Renaissance Tobu Ginza and Marriott Tobu Kinshicho. I have never stayed at Renaissance Ginza but I have stayed Marriott Kinshicho many times ( more than 30 stays ). I am only the SLV member, so I do not know the benefit for the GLD members. The reason why I stay at the Marriott Kinshicho is the cost performance. I pay only about 100 USD for the single rate per a night. For you, Marriott Kinshicho is closer to NRT airport than Renaissance Ginza.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:33 am
In Memoriam

Been to the Renaissance Ginza Tobu, forget about any upgrades, forget about any special recognition for Gold or Platinum Status.

Other than points or nights there is no good reason to stay there.

Very Japanese "efficient" Service. i.e. it was pouring down raining when the airport bus stopped in front of the hotel. 4-5 bellmen/women standing around inside. A dozen umbrellas sitting in their rack. Not one comes out to help me. As soon as I get inside three of them ask to help me with my bags.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:15 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
underpressure, I am very sorry for your experience. If you would stay at hotels in Japan, it would be better to choose hotels at wood, hilton and hyatt properties. They(MR) do not know how to treat not only the eilte members for MR but also the normal customers kindly.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, HH Silver. AA, DL
Thanks. Looks like the Marriott has a better review. I'll updater after my trip.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:55 pm

I usually try to stay at marriotts, but for Osaka, suggest to try the Westin, it is beutiful, spacious rooms and service is great
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
On my last trip to Japan (a couple of years ago), I stayed at the Marriott Kinshicho Tobu and the Marriot Nagoya. Both were outstanding! As a platinum, I got a nicely upgraded room (for a 4-star property in Asia), as well as complimentary drinks, snacks, and breakfasts. I also found the customer service at both properties to be the epitome of Japanese courtesy (I've NEVER experienced anything like what underpressure described).
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've stayed at both properties in the last two years. Generally the comments on the two are spot on. I prefer the location of the Ren and the service/upgrades at the Marriott. Neither is anything special and not as nice as the "typical" business hotel in Tokyo (like Hilton, Hyatt, New Otani, Prince, ANA etc.)

One other consideration, is the New Otani which is my favorite hotel there - but expect no upgrades. In fact, I ususually use my New Otani Club membership insead of my Marriott affiliation. I love that hotel. Not the nicest in Tokyo (The 4 Seasons is amazing, but not a great location) - but great location, tons of resturants and very well know location. If you're staying in Tokyo only one night - try the New Otani. Really nice. Sak for a king corner/end room in the tower - good views and slightly larger room.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.