Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:17 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed there the last week of September. They only upgrade PMs to Premium Ocean VIEW rooms. Not ocean front and no suites. The upgrade to a Caribbean suite was $50/night.

Was still a nice upgrade over the resort view room I booked.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Casa Magna is next to the JW, and you can walk between them and use the properties and charge to your room at both locations. Casa Magna is nice, but not the JW level... for only 20k pt difference it is worth staying at the JW.
The Ritz is a little farther over so is not connected to the Marriott hotels. While the Ritz certainly is nice, I think for the price the JW is better and probably more friendly for a child.

Don't think its worth the Club 91 unless you plan on staying at the hotel and taking advantage of it the entire time, such as the food/snacks etc. If you actually want to go out and see anything or go to other restaurants, I'd say skip the club91 upcharge so you have more flexibility on your own.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
Christmas in Cancun 2011--Pay or Use Points?

Hi,

New to the Flyertalk forums. I have booked a 7 night trip to Cancun over Christmas (Dec. 21-28th) snagged a great rate at the CasaManga property ($140 a night w/ breakfast) for the first 3 nights. Hotel is unavailable for Dec. 24-25th so will need to switch properties.

My question is this--do I go to the JW Marriott and spend 60k points for 2 nights or head to the Hyatt Regency where I can do 4 nights at a club level room for 40K points? The HR doesn't get as great reviews as the JW but burning 60k MR points seems a bit much.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
From a convenience standpoint, the JW would be the way to go. The hotels are connected to each other and you could probably get someone to bring your luggage from the Casa Magna to the JW.

If that doesn't matter, I might even open up your search to priceline or hotwire to see what is available. On both you would want to select the "Hotel Zone".
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I stayed there the last week of September. They only upgrade PMs to Premium Ocean VIEW rooms. Not ocean front and no suites. The upgrade to a Caribbean suite was $50/night.

Was still a nice upgrade over the resort view room I booked.
$50/night seems reasonable assuming the suite was a real 1BR.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
$50/night seems reasonable assuming the suite was a real 1BR.
He did say the $50/nt was because they weren't in peak season - so I'm assuming it would be more in peak season.

From the pictures I've seen it looks like a 2 room suite. We didn't do it though as we weren't in the room much.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:33 pm

I just got back and can answer any questions.

Room Service included
La Capilla included (even though it didn't say so on their "fact sheet") - except for surf and turf and a couple other items that were a $15 upcharge.
The thai place (can't remember name, but it was closed for renovation while we were there) is included except lobster
The japanese steakhouse was included - either Hibachi or regular table dining including sushi - same exception with lobster.
Champs sports bar was included - only exception was the 24oz bone in ribeye.
Room service was included
Pool/Beach side dining/bars included with a couple small exceptions.
Breakfast room service or at La Capilla included

You order off the same menu as everyone else - they got rid of the specific AI menu. They clearly mark on every menu what's not included. (not much)

All domestic beer included - house wines included - which weren't that bad. Base liquors included as well as pretty much every frozen drink.

Gelato/Deli in the gift shop is NOT included. Minibar is not included.

There wasn't much that wasn't included. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:41 am

You could also consider the AI package at the Casa magna - I think it's 70k for 5 nights, 90k for 7 nights + whatever points the room requires. It allows 2 adults + 2 kids under 12 in the room - includes almost all food/drink/kid's club/non-motorized watersports.

So if you were staying a week it'd be 150k (25k/night, 5th night free) + 90k for the AI. Or if you did just 5 nights of that then it'd be 100k + 70k.

We spent on average ~4,500 pesos a day (~$350) there on food/drink each day - that was two of us. If you are big drinkers it'd be more.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:33 am

JW Marriott Cancun Spa Facilities

Can anyone tell me a little about the spa facilities at the JW Marriott Cancun? I have read that Level 1 is free to guests and Level 2 is pay? Can you give me an idea about what is available on each level?

My husband and I are looking for a spa facility that might have a thalasso type pool and maybe heated tile loungers? Not sure if those are available.

I did try to do a search but nothing came up for what I am really asking.

Maggie
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:17 pm

Cancun: JW or Casa Magna based on pools for families

I'm heading down to Cancun over Christmas. My 6 and 4 year old love the water. The 6 year old is a pretty good solo swimmer (75 feet without issue) - the 4 year old less so.

My question is, are the pools heated at that time? What restrictions will there be at both properties for kids? They usually act more like kids than adults despite what they are instructed to do.

Any property recommendations based on heated pools and kids?

TIA!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:06 am

While I cannot say for certain if either of the resorts heat their pools, I will tell you that the CasaMagna pool was VERY COLD in Feb. and the JW pool was very comfortable in April.

The CM pool is simply a large round pool, nothing special. Since your family is so interested in the pool, I would definitely go for the JW There is an adult pool there, but you have several better options at the JW over the CM.

Not sure about your method of payment, but if you are using points, the JW is usually only 10k or 20k more points than the CM, and that's a worthwhile choice. If paying cash, the CM is usually much cheaper than the JW.

Your kids will love Champions, the sports bar/restaurant on-site.
Have fun.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:31 pm

Just got back.

The CM is one large pool area typical resort style. Its nice but not overwhelmingly impressive. The JW is more sprawling, with several infiniti ledges that offer better views.

No idea on the heater situtation, but my vote is go with the JW
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Having been to both resorts numerous times during the "cold weather" periods in CUN. Definitely go with the JW, I can confirm that it is heated whereas the CM is not. (Don't know if they have installed heaters yet, most people end up congregating in the hot tub in cold days at the CM)

That is the kicker for my kids and I. That being said, the free form infinity pool at the JW is fantastic for its size as well. Also, as mentioned, for your four year old the zero entry kids pool is nice as well.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
I agree with the other posters that the JW is quite a bit nicer. It has been a few years since we stayed there, but I remember there was also a very nice indoor pool - though it may be adults only.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
The Cancun JW is a fantastic property and well worth the small difference in points over the Casa Magna. I haven't stayed at the Ritz there, but in general, I don't think the price/point premium is worth it - especially compared to the JW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.