Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by Jmr007
we are the casa magna marriott right now. 3rd time in 12 months. We love it. Best room is the carribean suite, but this time i used points for the one week points + miles deal, and got platinum upgrade to nice ocean view room. On site several nice rest. Make sure you pick up the brochure at airport by exit door for discount coupons.
We're you / are you able to add the all inclusive option to a points booked stay? If so, do you know the up charge per guest? What about kids - free / discounted to certain ages? Up in the air between CM and JW for our Feb 2014 trip..

Thanks much!
Old May 8, 2013, 2:34 pm

We asked about adding all inclusive option, during check in, but was denied. Kids below 4 eat free at breakfast buffet ( our son is 4yrs 3months and was not charged for his breakfast buffet )
Old May 8, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by Newflyer123
We asked about adding all inclusive option, during check in, but was denied. Kids below 4 eat free at breakfast buffet ( our son is 4yrs 3months and was not charged for his breakfast buffet )
Got it. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by d20513
Great info, thanks! The travel cert is a part of a marriott travel package, which was purchased with points, we are somewhat flexalble, and I do see some availability at the cove..
Looks like you've been to JW and casa magna in cancun too. How would you stack st Thomas / cove up against Cancun / JW, CM?
We've never been to st thomas, but do enjoy CUN, havent stayed at JW or CM, but just so much to do, or not do in area - and the public transportation is Great! the wife would like a new destination though..
Was just going to pull the trigger on the Cove, and now.. NO availability.. UGH!!
Looks like we may be back to CUN.. Having been to both CM and JW - which would you recommend?
Other recommendations also welcomed! Just need to book something by 5/15 - before the categories change..

Thanks Much!!
Old May 18, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UAPP, Marriott Platinum Premier, HHonors Diamond, HGP Diamond, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Any Luck as Platinum Premier in Cancun?

I'm inclined to believe that due to the indistinguishable difference between Plat and PlatPremier in most cases that the JW CUN, which appears to be notoriously parsimonious when it comes to offering differentiated benefits and/or upgrades to MR Elites, will fall in line as not having any special or elevated offering in this case... Thoughts? Experiences as PlatPremier?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by cactus319
I'm inclined to believe that due to the indistinguishable difference between Plat and PlatPremier in most cases that the JW CUN, which appears to be notoriously parsimonious when it comes to offering differentiated benefits and/or upgrades to MR Elites, will fall in line as not having any special or elevated offering in this case... Thoughts? Experiences as PlatPremier?
Bump
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott: Gold (CC) Ritz-Carlton: Gold (CC) Starwood SPG: Gold Hilton: Blue Hertz: Gold Plus 5Star
Was just going to pull the trigger on the Cove, and now.. NO availability.. UGH!!
Looks like we may be back to CUN.. Having been to both CM and JW - which would you recommend?
Other recommendations also welcomed! Just need to book something by 5/15 - before the categories change..

Thanks Much!!
I just recently came back from a trip to Cancun a couple weeks ago and stayed at both the CasaMagna and JW since i wanted to experience both hotels. JW was sold out the first night so i stayed at Casa. The quick answer for my choice would be JW if i had to choose again.

I'm only a Marriott gold so i didn't expect much there but both places upgraded me to a better room. Casa upgraded me to an oceanfront room from a basic resort view room which was pretty awesome and JW upgraded me to a premium ocean view room from regular ocean.

Both hotels are nice, but i was only in my room to sleep so it didn't really make a big difference. The Infinity Pool is way better and larger at JW and its heated. There's 2 hot tubs at the pool. Casa is an older hotel so you can see the age from the rust and dust in the room creases and i didn't really like the sheet rock or plaster they used as walls. JW was just what you expect form a five star hotel. It was clean, large, everyone was very professional, from their uniform to the way they talk to you. Casa has the Mediterranean feel with its decor if people like that. If the JW didn't have windows i'd think i was just in another fancy resort in the U.S. Rooms are nicer and a little bigger in JW since its newer. More restaurant choices in Casa though, but i know most of those place are westernized food so i just ate at local places which was amazing.

Last edited by TravelerJmL; Jun 4, 2013 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll be staying there next for 5 nights with the family. Any recommendations on the places you ate outside of the hotel.

Originally Posted by TravelerJmL
I just recently came back from a trip to Cancun a couple weeks ago and stayed at both the CasaMagna and JW since i wanted to experience both hotels. JW was sold out the first night so i stayed at Casa. The quick answer for my choice would be JW if i had to choose again.

I'm only a Marriott gold so i didn't expect much there but both places upgraded me to a better room. Casa upgraded me to an oceanfront room from a basic resort view room which was pretty awesome and JW upgraded me to a premium ocean view room from regular ocean.

Both hotels are nice, but i was only in my room to sleep so it didn't really make a big difference. The Infinity Pool is way better and larger at JW and its heated. There's 2 hot tubs at the pool. Casa is an older hotel so you can see the age from the rust and dust in the room creases and i didn't really like the sheet rock or plaster they used as walls. JW was just what you expect form a five star hotel. It was clean, large, everyone was very professional, from their uniform to the way they talk to you. Casa has the Mediterranean feel with its decor if people like that. If the JW didn't have windows i'd think i was just in another fancy resort in the U.S. Rooms are nicer and a little bigger in JW since its newer. More restaurant choices in Casa though, but i know most of those place are westernized food so i just ate at local places which was amazing.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:52 am

Thanks much! We booked at JW for February '14. Heard mixed bag about upgrades, so will keep expectations Low, especially in the High season we'll be there..
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott: Gold (CC) Ritz-Carlton: Gold (CC) Starwood SPG: Gold Hilton: Blue Hertz: Gold Plus 5Star
Originally Posted by robertctxs
Thanks for the info. I'll be staying there next for 5 nights with the family. Any recommendations on the places you ate outside of the hotel.
I booked with the promo that had breakfast included for 2. Food was very nice and high end for the hotel. Even had like a raw fish bar at breakfast which was surprising. I was mostly on tours visiting things like Chichen Itza so my food was served buffet style in small places somewhere in the yucatan. I recommend going to Xplor the new adventure park that has ziplining, rafting, swimming, atving and free food with ticket. I'm not sure where your going but i liked Minino's on isla mujeres which you have to take a 20 min boat ride to visit from the port in cancun. The food and especially the fish is so fresh you can see them catching and gutting the fish next to you on the water. The tiny island is worth a visit you can rent a golf cart and drive everywhere and also get a massage next to the ocean on the beach for like 30$. Theres a sea food and crab house place near JW across the street which was nice. Senor Frogs was also nice. Most of the restaurants on the hotel strip are pretty much american food. Theres Mcdonalds, Outback etc. You have to go downtown with any of the buses to have authentic mexican food. Regarding currency exchange theres tons of HSBC atms and branches everywhere if you have that bank. Theres alot of atms in both JW and Casa, but their fees are really high. Theres a scotia bank and alot of Santader Atms and banks in cancun also especially downtown and they are allied with Bank of America so no atm transaction fee. Theres one also when you exit the immigration but be careful they automatically take like 6$ and donate it to something when you use it. I had no idea what it was since it was in spanish.

Thanks much! We booked at JW for February '14. Heard mixed bag about upgrades, so will keep expectations Low, especially in the High season we'll be there..
Have a great trip! It wasn't very busy when i went last month. I think the high season in cancun is around January to april with spring break and stuff. Didn't have issue getting beach chairs or pool chairs either. With upgrades its ultimately up to them, but being nice goes a long way. Also in the comments box in the reservation online you can edit and add something like please upgrade if available since they can see that. Yashua at the front desk is really nice if you deal with him he was the one that helped me out. I'm not 100% sure, but think i remember booking an ocean room and i checked a few days beforehand and it was changed to premium ocean view in the reservation. So you can check your online reservation too.

Last edited by TravelerJmL; Jun 6, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:53 am

I booked with the promo that had breakfast included for 2. Food was very nice and high end for the hotel. Even had like a raw fish bar at breakfast which was surprising. I was mostly on tours visiting things like Chichen Itza so my food was served buffet style in small places somewhere in the yucatan. I recommend going to Xplor the new adventure park that has ziplining, rafting, swimming, atving and free food with ticket. I'm not sure where your going but i liked Minino's on isla mujeres which you have to take a 20 min boat ride to visit from the port in cancun. The food and especially the fish is so fresh you can see them catching and gutting the fish next to you on the water. The tiny island is worth a visit you can rent a golf cart and drive everywhere and also get a massage next to the ocean on the beach for like 30$. Theres a sea food and crab house place near JW across the street which was nice. Senor Frogs was also nice. Most of the restaurants on the hotel strip are pretty much american food. Theres Mcdonalds, Outback etc. You have to go downtown with any of the buses to have authentic mexican food. Regarding currency exchange theres tons of HSBC atms and branches everywhere if you have that bank. Theres alot of atms in both JW and Casa, but their fees are really high. Theres a scotia bank and alot of Santader Atms and banks in cancun also especially downtown and they are allied with Bank of America so no atm transaction fee. Theres one also when you exit the immigration but be careful they automatically take like 6$ and donate it to something when you use it. I had no idea what it was since it was in spanish.

Have a great trip! It wasn't very busy when i went last month. I think the high season in cancun is around January to april with spring break and stuff. Didn't have issue getting beach chairs or pool chairs either. With upgrades its ultimately up to them, but being nice goes a long way. Also in the comments box in the reservation online you can edit and add something like please upgrade if available since they can see that. Yashua at the front desk is really nice if you deal with him he was the one that helped me out. I'm not 100% sure, but think i remember booking an ocean room and i checked a few days beforehand and it was changed to premium ocean view in the reservation. So you can check your online reservation too.

THANKS!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by robertctxs

So it’s been a few years since we've been (we'll be heading back in February though) so, not 100% sure it’s still there, but the best restaurant we ate at in CUN was an Argentine steakhouse (forgot the name of it). It was on the second floor of the shops that has the hard rock cafe in it. GREAT food, Phenomenal sangria, and the Cesar salad was made fresh tableside - highly recommend!
Another good one was La Madonna.
Other must sees are:
Senor Frogs
Carlos / Charlie’s
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cactus319
We stayed at th Casa last year. There was not any recognition as a PP that I could discern. They gave as an upgrade to an Ocean View room but not a Suite but I would not have expected it as it was NYE. There was no lounge as a resort.

We had no problem using the facilities at the JW and could charge things to our room at their facilities without a problem. If we return to CUN, we would probably stay at the JW (better facilities and condition) or the RC.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Hi there

I have a Plat Premier status (if that even matters) and I am planning on staying 8 nights in Cancun around Xmas.

It seems that neither the JW or CM offer free breakfast to Elite Members: is that correct?

Both seems 'far' from downtown: can people confirm?

People seem to favor the JW as it seems nicer. I guess for 8 nights around Xmas, I can forget the room upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:38 am

Cancun- Ritz v JW Marriott

Sorry did not realize already this thread

I have 2 nights that I want to use Marrriott points for in Cancun. Either RC at 100k or JWM at 70k. Is there a significant difference?

Thanks.

Last edited by trey; Nov 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.