Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
what was this before?

Was this a new build or a refurbish of an existing property and if so, what was it before? thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:55 pm

Bad customer service treatment from Marriott Copley Place Boston

Fellow Flyertalkers:

I'd like to share my recent experience at the Marriott Copley Place in Boston that marks a landmark on how a platnium member should be treated.

I had a 3 night stay and at the last night, my TV unit would turn on by itself on again a second later after I hit the power button on the remote. This happened multiple times continuously. Although this was disturbing, after a long day at work and considering it was 1am in the morning, after it finally shut off I went to sleep.

The following morning, I had packed and left early to attend a business meeting and decided that I would call the hotel later to check out and inform them of what happened.

The person who took my call (Joy) informed me that it was probably a
"scheduled timer" that was supposed to go off. I then questioned why would they schedule the TV to turn on at 1am in the morning. This was not an acceptable response. After a while, she agreed to give me some points for my complaint, but she would have to wait until the manager came into work to decide how many points.

I got a call later in the day from Joy saying that after speaking with the manager they determined that because I did not report the incident when it happened, they can not proceed with giving me the points. She insisted that the hotel would have sent an electrician to fix the problem and switch rooms for me. I reminded her that it was 1am in the morning, it was my last night, I was in my sleepwear and did not want a stranger in my room. She then responded by saying that I still should have called, they are available all day, and it would not have inconvenience *them*. Again, after reiterated that it was an inconvenience to *me* she rebutted and asked that I should have reported this when i checked out (which was my intent when I placed the call in the morning).

After being put on hold to consult with the manager, Joy returned and said, for this one time only, they are making an exception and will grant me 500 points which I was told is equivalent to $50. I laughed and asked how the amount was arrived at. Apparently, the manager (whose name is Cruz Nirmin) calculated that guests are award 10 points per $1 spent. Therefore, 500 pts is the equivalent of knocking $50 off the bill.

Hope you enjoyed the story and have better luck elsewhere.

Last edited by walkerjane; Oct 14, 2004 at 5:21 pm
Old Oct 14, 2004, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by walkerjane
...at the last night, my TV unit would turn on by itself on again a second later after I hit the power button on the remote. This happened multiple times continuously.
I'm sure this was very annoying (especially when you're exhausted), but couldn't you just have unplugged the tv and let them know it was a problem when you checked out in the morning?

Ok, the lady you spoke to could have been more sympathetic, but 500 points sounds more than fair to me.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:42 pm

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
However, I will add that at the Chicago Marriott on Michigan Ave last year, we had an air conditioner that wouldn't shut off, making the room positively freezing. We let the desk know the next morning, and they awarded us 5,000 bonus points - definitely much nicer than 500!!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by hbyerly
I'm sure this was very annoying (especially when you're exhausted), but couldn't you just have unplugged the tv and let them know it was a problem when you checked out in the morning?

Ok, the lady you spoke to could have been more sympathetic, but 500 points sounds more than fair to me.

Originally Posted by hbyerly

Unplugging the unit would have required to manueveur between furniture and the TV unit which I'd like to avoid for several reasons. Having the TV turn on by itself repeatly was not only annoying but very disturbing.

On your second point - Precisely as you had suggested, I let them know it was a problem when I checked out via the phone the next morning.

IMHO a hotel with the caliber of Marriott that stands by customer service as their motto, I am appalled at the way the situation was handled by the employees - which is why my post directs to poor customer service rather than focusing on the TV or points issue. First, they attempted to justify that it was a scheduled event, then go on to that moving rooms, sending someone up is not inconvenience to *them* suggests that they are not thinking of the guest at all. Just coming up with excuses instead of acknowledging that there was/is a problem is not acceptable.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Therefore, 500 pts is the equivalent of knocking $50 off the bill
heh, then I'd have asked they just knock the 50 off. In reality, the points are worth more like 5 bucks.

You can always follow up with Salt Lake, if you got names. Marriott's standard of service is the cornerstone of their business and perhaps they can help the hotel handle such situations better in the future. IMO, they should have merely asked what they could do to make things right by you. Excuses or burdening the customer are not proper responses.

A mitigating factor would surely have been not reporting the problem contemporaneously, as most full service hotels have engineering staff on duty 24/7. Even if the electrician had only unplugged the unit and left, you likely would've had a much more pleasant ending to your stay.

Perhaps there is a lesson here for all involved.

Pat
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have stayed at the Marriott Copley and always had excellent customer service. In fact, I rate it as one of the best Marriott's on a CS level even though it has a large convention crowd.

On the timer issue, Marriott didn't set the timer. The previous guest did.

IMHO, 500 miles/points seems more than appropriate.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
On the timer issue, Marriott didn't set the timer. The previous guest did.

This happened on the 3rd night I stayed in the same room and it did not occur on the first 2 nights so it wouldn't be a timer setting that was placed by the previous guest.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

I have stayed at the Marriott Copley and always had excellent customer service. In fact, I rate it as one of the best Marriott's on a CS level even though it has a large convention crowd.
To give them some credit, the person that checked me in was very gracious.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, AA Plat, Hilton Silver
Renaissance just a notch nicer than the Marriott

Having just completed a week's stay at the Marriott Burlington and now staying at the Renaissance Bedford, I vote for the Renaissance. The property is only two stories so sometimes it's a hike to the lobby. But there are multiple entrances around the property, so you just park closest to your room.

The rooms are just a notch above the standard Marriott rooms. For instance there is a mini-fridge in my room here at the Renaissance. The bathroom here is bigger, and the room is slightly larger.

There is no concierge lounge at the Renaissance, but as a gold I was offered 2 breakfast buffets per day (or a room service breakfast of up to $31 per day).

The pool is slightly nicer at the Renaissance but there are not as many cardio-vascular machines in the fitness center as there were at the Marriott. There are 2 tennis courts at the Renaissance and none at the Marriott.

The Burlington Marriott is a busy beehive of activity, especially on weekends when there are weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc. The Marriott also has a very lively pub with live music on some nights, whereas the Renaissance has a more subdued ambience overall.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Cambridge Marriott

If you can get in on a decent rate at the Cambridge Marriott, go for it. We stayed there July 4th this past summer and loved it. The location is excellent, right across the Charles from Copley Square and the T station is downstairs from the hotel. Check the other threads for discount codes.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Marriott Boston Tremont okay?

Going back to Boston. Stayed at the Custom House last time but was shocked by the price ($299). Saw the Tremont property on the Marriott site for a decent price ($159), but the website says:

"HOTEL INDEPENDENTLY OPERATED UNTIL JANUARY 2005

THIS PROPERTY DOES NOT CURRENTLY PARTICIPATE IN THE MARRIOTT REWARDS PROGRAM OR IN THE BEST RATE GUARANTEE.

*** NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR JANUARY 1, 2005 AND BEYOND ***""

So is this a decent hotel or something to stay away from? They let me book on the Marriott site, but with a message like that, I am leery. BTW, I don't care about the rewards prog for this trip. I made plat again earlier in the year.

So, anyone stay at Tremont recently? Are the nice things that they are saying about the property on marriott.com true, or will they just be true next year?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:30 pm

Wife has been there several times for meetings. It has recently become a Marriott property (as you can see by this note).

She said it is OK, older, but sort of Boston classic chic style. Think Fairmont Copley if you've ever been there. She has never seen the rooms.

The hotel is right on the edge of Chinatown/Theater district. So, can get a little shady at night, so be careful. Lots to do in that area.

The Custom House is in a nicer, if more touristy area of town. I used to live a block from the Marriott Copley. This is more of a convention hotel, but I used to put my parents there when they came to town. Nice and a nice lounge. BIG hotel. You might also try the Long Warf. I also think there is a brand new, literally, just build in the shell of an old brick building, Courtyard on Exeter and Tremont. This is in a VERY nice area (rents in the $2300/mo range for 1bd apartments, I used to live there). If it is done in the "new courtyard" way, you should check that place out. Tons to do, and not the big hotel that the Copley Marriott is.

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Going back to Boston. Stayed at the Custom House last time but was shocked by the price ($299). Saw the Tremont property on the Marriott site for a decent price ($159), but the website says:

"HOTEL INDEPENDENTLY OPERATED UNTIL JANUARY 2005

THIS PROPERTY DOES NOT CURRENTLY PARTICIPATE IN THE MARRIOTT REWARDS PROGRAM OR IN THE BEST RATE GUARANTEE.

*** NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR JANUARY 1, 2005 AND BEYOND ***""

So is this a decent hotel or something to stay away from? They let me book on the Marriott site, but with a message like that, I am leery. BTW, I don't care about the rewards prog for this trip. I made plat again earlier in the year.

So, anyone stay at Tremont recently? Are the nice things that they are saying about the property on marriott.com true, or will they just be true next year?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
Boston Long Wharf Question

I'm considering a stay at the Long Wharf in Boston. I was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on walking from the hotel into the city. I understand that there was an issue with construction because of the Big Dig. Is that still there?

Also, parking seems to be pretty expensive. Are there any good alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:02 pm

You'll be fine walking. You're a short walk to the North End, not far from Fanieul Hall, etc. It's a good location.

There are no other alternatives with in/out privs. Parking is horrible and expensive in boston. I used to pay $300/mo for my full-time spot to avoid having to fight for resident parking. What street parking there is is usually resident, always metered, etc.

Is this your own car or a rental? If it is a rental, DON'T rent a car! Unless you're going somewhere you need it, you might consider just renting for the day.

Originally Posted by boltor
I'm considering a stay at the Long Wharf in Boston. I was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on walking from the hotel into the city. I understand that there was an issue with construction because of the Big Dig. Is that still there?

Also, parking seems to be pretty expensive. Are there any good alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.