Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ant_west
Clearly a "trendy" spot as the flagship Paris Apple store is immediately next door!
Bd Haussmann is not and never has been a "trendy" spot in Paris.
It is a mix of business (banks, insurance and some firms headquarters like Danone are located in this area) and commercial district. A kind of Times Square of the 19th century.

The reason why Apple has a flagship here is that the commercial zone is considered as one of the world most profitable in terms of revenue by sqm (and is the second touristic destination of the world most visited city).

As the district is largely visited by Chinese tourists, Richemont (Cartier) will open a multistore next to InterContinental Le Grand (at former Old England store) and Louis Vuitton is looking to buy the Société Générale bank building in front of W hotel.

What is getting trendy is the district around rue des Martyrs, Saint Georges, Abbesses and Château d'Eau: lots of new restaurants, cafés (Hotel Amour, Napoléon, Marcel, Café qui Parle, Café Burcq, Guilo Guilo, La Famille, Miroir, Kooba Boora, Le Cul de Poule, Café Panique, Playtime, La Fidélité, etc!)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
How were you able to get the SPG50 rate? I tried online and it says the rate is invalid :/

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Just booked an SPG 50 rate of EUR 360 inclusive of taxes for 4 nights later this week. An enthusiastic email from Cecile, the 'Insider'. Said breakfast for platinums is complimentary but only in the restaurant, not in room. Did not mention whether she meant full breakfast or continental, so will see how that works out.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by index411
How were you able to get the SPG50 rate? I tried online and it says the rate is invalid :/
SPG50 can only be booked on the phone.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
spg properties in trendy parts of paris?

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Bd Haussmann is not and never has been a "

What is getting trendy is the district around rue des Martyrs, Saint Georges, Abbesses and Château d'Eau: lots of new restaurants, cafés (Hotel Amour, Napoléon, Marcel, Café qui Parle, Café Burcq, Guilo Guilo, La Famille, Miroir, Kooba Boora, Le Cul de Poule, Café Panique, Playtime, La Fidélité, etc!)
What are the closest SPG properties to these neighborhoods?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:20 am

I have saved this tidbit in my travel notes for use in 2013. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I have saved this tidbit in my travel notes for use in 2013. Thanks!
If you want to get the map of trendy Paris
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18201983-post8.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
What are the closest SPG properties to these neighborhoods?
The most trendy part of the city are in the very centre and East side of the town.

Le Méridien Etoile is located in a soulless and rather ugly convention/business district (but easy access from CDG with Air France coaches, and close to the metro line #1 which goes from West to East of Paris)

Prince de Galles (now closed for renovation) is located next to George V hotel, in the Gold Triangle district: luxury boutiques, hotels and restaurant, firms headquarters, major advertising/law/management consulting firms). Some trendy spots in the neighbourhood, like Baron Baron night club, l'Eclaireur boutique and bar, Apicius gastronomique restaurant, Asian restaurant, Market restaurant, Findi restaurant, Le Baretto restaurant, Pershing Hall hotel, Renoma Gallery café, Mood restaurant, Buddha Bar, Mini Palais restaurant, Artcurial café. Etc.)

W hotel is conveniently located next to Opera, with easy access by metro.

Place du Marché Saint Honoré, with lots of trendy restaurants and Colette conceptstore, is 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

Trendy spots
- around Abbesses/rue des Martyrs, like hotel Amour are 20 minutes walk from the hotel
-around Chateau d'Eau like Café Le Napoléon are 25 minutes walk from the hotel.

Westin Paris is quite close the w hotel, but located in a more elegant part of the town (trendy rue du Mont Thabor is 5 minutes walk, with lots of great boutiques like Parfums Frédéric Malle and Ferdi bar/restaurant with fashion crowd).

Last edited by nicolas75; Mar 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
-around Chateau d'Eau like Café La Napoléon are 25 minutes walk from the hotel.
I have to say I'm surprised to hear that Chateau d'Eau is popular now. I've always liked the area, but I thought that it wasn't "trendy" because it is pretty much an African area. All the African shops and bars are there.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I thought that it wasn't "trendy" because it is pretty much an African area.

Very centrally located and still rather cheap, the cosmopolite district is now full of trendy cafés / restaurants / clubs like Pompon, Chez Jeannette, Le Napoléon

(a kind of extension of Montorgueil / rue Montmartre / rue Etienne Marcel / rue Tiquetonne).

Same story for rue Charlot / rue de Bretagne, extension of now too expensive Marais for "createurs" and trendy crowd.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Despite the merits of a discussion on where is "en vogue" in Paris at the moment, probably worth steering the chat back to the hotel itself...

Third week running I was in Paris this week and despite originally thinking I'd stay at the airport due to an early flight my plans changed so I ended up staying at the W for the third week running. This time I booked a 'Spectacular' room. I checked in quite late having been for dinner first with colleagues and was given a room on the first floor. I had some emails to write so rather than go straight to the room I went to the lounge for a glass of wine and to work through my inbox - the bar next door was buzzing but the lounge side was "quiet" enough so a good place to get some work done. When I say quiet I mean there were only a couple of people there - the volume level of the music from next door was still pretty loud!

I did wonder whether the receptionist would note that it was my third visit which must be quite unusual given they've been open 2 weeks but she didn't say anything.

The room is a fair bit smaller than the Wonderful room I've had the last couple of weeks - the bathroom is open plan onto the bedroom similar to other Ws I've stayed in. Couple of minor points I noticed - the toilet seat had been left up, my wife has obviously got me well trained as when I was a bachelor this wouldn't have registered but now did! The other was that the small shelf in the shower cubicle to rest your toiletries on was loose and left hanging at an angle.

The room had a good view of the Opera but similar issue to the Wonderful rooms in that you can't get onto the balcony. This room I think was actually above the Apple store next door.

I took a snap of the fire map on the door as it gives a good indication of the various room sizes...

The top left must be the "cozy" rooms. The far right is I suspect the WOW suite. I was in 119 but despite what the fire plan shows it didn't have a connecting door to 120.

I was glad to see the shower was as good in this room as in the Wonderful room though you lose the bath tub. The bed was also the same very comfortable bed and you get the multi-charger device by the bed as well. One thing I did notice was that the bathroom amenities were much smaller - 25ml tubes of shampoo etc rather than 120ml bottles in the Wonderful room (and duplicates of everything as well).

As I had a bit of time in the morning I felt in the interest of research for this board I ought to take the breakfast so I had chosen that as my platinum amenity. I wasn't given a voucher at check-in. The breakfast room is on the mezzanine level of the hotel (confusingly labelled 00 in the lift) and at your table they have a funny shelf above the table where you have your own mini-buffet with cereals, fruits, yoghurts and pastries. There is a menu with hot items as well. The continental breakfast price is an eye-watering €38 with the full hot option being €43. Makes the platinum amenity look good value!

On check-out there was a bit of a wait as there was a bunch of American rappers checking in and asking lots of questions about connecting their iPhones to the wifi - haven't got a clue who they were but no doubt I would have done if I was under the age of 19 and possessed a pair of jeans that were designed to hang around half way down my bottom in order to advertise my preferred brand of underpants to the world...

The receptionist had to take the cost of the breakfast off the bill as it had been erroneously added - done with no fuss and an apology. She then said something about hoping they'd see me again soon to which I noted that this had been my third visit so every likelihood I'd be back again soon. At this point she came round from the counter to shake my hand and tell me she thought I was their only repeat customer so far so she was very pleased to have met me! I am back again this week so will see if anyone remembers me! At some point they've got to give me the Wow suite as an upgrade surely!?!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Incredible to rack up this many stays at such a high end property so quickly. It's also nice to see someone enjoy their benefits without any drama... I hope you get that wow suite soon and can post some pics.

While I'm not much of a fan of W properties (much prefer the luxury collection or SR)- When in the mood for trendy boutiques the host cities do usually come through with some really incredible trendy off/chain hotels. I don't know Paris as well, but I imagine that for 600 euro one can get said nice room at one of these chic properties...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
ant_west thanks for your reviews here. But it looks like you got a cozy room from looking at the photos. If that is really a spectacular, I'd hate to see the cozy.

Love the mix of old and new in the decor, but the elaborate munchie box right next to the sink seems a little odd and taking up a huge about of valuable space.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Thanks for the pics.. excellent.
Rates are really high for this property... can't find anything under 300 euros..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
So for the platinum amenity, I can choose the hot option and it should be removed from my bill? Thx
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Great report, Ant_west! For all your three stays, did you get any upgrade to Suite at all? I see you are SPG plat and also a repeat customer for this new hotel... From your reports, it seems you got the rooms you booked for without any suite upgrade... Curious mind wants to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.