Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
I'm thinking of spending a couple of weeks in French immersion school in Paris later this year. The W looks very cool, but I think three or four nights' stay there would cost as much as the full-time school for two weeks. Yikes. Bienvenue ŕ Paris and all that. :-)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I've been quiet on this thread for a couple of weeks as been travelling a fair bit and had a week's holiday off planes/trains in the middle!

Actually managed to rack up 5 stays at the W Paris before Easter (so average of 1 a week since they opened). Couple of the staff now recognise me but despite me dropping heavy hints, the WOW suite upgrade still eludes me!

So the line-up of rooms here is:

- Cozy
- Wonderful
- Spectacular
- Fantastic Suite
- Marvelous Suite
- WOW Suite
- Extreme WOW Suite

and my stays have been booked as:

- Fantastic Suite
- Wonderful Room
- Spectacular Room
- Fantastic Suite
- Wonderful Room

and I think what I ended up with was:

- Marvelous Suite
- Marvelous Suite
- Spectacular Room
- Fantastic Suite
- Marvelous Suite

(now I've experienced a few of the room types I'm getting to work out which is which!)

So the standard upgrade seems to be to the Marvelous Suite until they get a bit busier (which the front desk guy said they were pre-Easter). Also all the rooms I have had with the exception of the Fantastic Suite were on the Opéra side of the hotel. I wasn't that taken with the Fantastic Suite and part of it is probably that there is not as much light on the non-Opéra side of the hotel as it is North facing. Additionally though the Fantastic suite is really just a big room where they've stuck a divider in the middle with a tv on both sides to give a small living area with a sofa and a small bedroom. It made both parts of the room feel poky (sorry, cozy in W terminology). There was then quite a big walk-in wardrobe which seemed strange (as the mini-bar and the munchie tray were in there as well) - it is undoubtedly due to them trying to fit rooms around the fabric of an old building but for me it didn't work that well.

My beat is taking me away from Paris at the moment so might be a while before I get there again but I'll probably see if I can slip in a further visit in the next few weeks!

Oh and with relation to the question a couple of posts back against breakfast - not sure I follow but they mistakenly put the price of continental breakfast on my bill which they then took off - if you went for a cooked breakfast or eat a la carte then I suspect you need to pay - the continental option is already laid out at the tables in the mini-diy-buffet.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
How is Gold treatment at this hotel? I'm looking to make a one-night reservation this week at a Starpicks rate which I think is decent value (still well over my 250 EUR/night limit though), 320 EUR for a Wonderful Room.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Having a reservation for a Marvelous Suite what kind of upgrade to expect (I assume none) but I would appreciate some free internet. Any thoughts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Not sure what SPG level you are but even as a Plat I probably wouldn't expect an upgrade from a Marvelous suite. You may be lucky however.

For Internet, if you are a platinum you'll get it free but wouldn't expect anything otherwise (don't recall the suites coming with free Internet)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ant_west
Not sure what SPG level you are but even as a Plat I probably wouldn't expect an upgrade from a Marvelous suite. You may be lucky however.

For Internet, if you are a platinum you'll get it free but wouldn't expect anything otherwise (don't recall the suites coming with free Internet)
I am Platinum w/SPG, since upgrades from my booked category looks like pipe-dream (Staying 6 nights). I do hope they offer the breakfast amenity...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

As a Platinum you'll get free wifi internet throughout the hotel. They'll offer Continental Breakfast as a platinum amenity at check-in - if you are there 6 nights and intended on having breakfast at the hotel then definitely take it as your amenity - the headline price for breakfast is €38 pp so for 2 of you staying 6 nights you can save yourself €456 over the course of your stay - now whether the breakfast is actually worth €38 is another matter
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Great Stay

After many stays at Westin Paris, this was our first trip to the W Opera. And while I know it's a higher category hotel, we were both blown away by the amazing service and incredible attitude of the staff. It was my wife's birthday and they honestly did more to celebrate it than I did. First off, as a Platinum member, we were upgraded to a Fantastic Suite. And it was very cool. Beautifully modern with views of the Opera. Moments after we walked in the room staff appeared with champagne (very nice and $, unusual for a hotel) and a small birthday cake with a giant flaming sparkling candle. Then the staff members proceeded to sing happy birthday. However, they were a bit off tune and not the best rendition I've heard (jk). Anyway, it didn't stop there. As an additional gift they gave us a coupon for 2 drinks in the very cool lobby bar. Now, as a Platinum member I chose the breakfast option upon check-in -- and it was a very nice continental spread at your table, but I believe this coupon is the spg Gold amenity and it is very valuable when you consider the price of drinks in a cool Paris bar. After diner we went to the bar and ordered two very nice drinks understanding we would pay the difference beyond the 30euro limit. Of course they were amenable and never asked for more money. Very classy. Then, again, some desert treats were wheeled in with a huge candle (no song this time as bar was loud)..

We have stayed at W's all over the world including Barcelona and this has to be top of the line.

The location is perfect for shopping. Good shopping. And don't miss the old winding Red staircase in the hotel. Makes you want to skip the elevator.

One funny thing is, I couldn't tell if hotel was crowded or empty. It's spaced out a bit and I believe I heard it only has 95 rooms? In any case, everything felt very personalized.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Glad you had a great stay JBauer.

August is a funny month in Paris. Almost zero business going on and few locals in town, but the top hotels are usually busy with middle easterners escaping the heat and Americans on holiday. I would expect the top hotels are even busier than normal due to the Olympics in London. But as the W is new and maybe not on the radar of the middle easterners, it might not be very busy.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ant_west
The restaurant is run by Sergi Arola, a Spanish michelin starred chef and the menu is based on choosing several smaller plates that you share. The food was excellent although if you're hungry you may want to order 3 per person rather than the 2 we were advised. Particularly good were the ox-tail ravioli, the pork with pistachio and the sardines. The waiting staff were excellent and showed the same enthusiasm as my receptionist earlier (as did all the staff).
I had recently a dinner at W Paris Opéra.
The food was pretty good, staff very smiling, service quite fast.

But the room is very noisy, the interior design looks very cheap (and the bar is even more terrible).

I had dinner with a talentuous interior designer who said: "oh, it is the perfect synthesis between a cheap provincial night club and a kitsch Dubai resort."
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 am

Stayed here for a week in August booked into a Marvelous Suite @ 420 EUR/night. Did not get any upgrade from that but the hotel was very full so no complaints from me, they said that I could get an upgrade next day but I did not wanna move. Got free continental breakfast as plat benefit I had written to the hotel earlier stating that my wife is gluten intolerant so they upgraded her breakfast too the full breakfast (w/ egg) free of charge. All in all very friendly staff and professional and service minded. Perfect place for shopping and also fro a Sunday stroll down to the Jardin de Royal over the Seine and St Germain. I really loved this property it is a boutique hotel but that was what I expected. Next time in Paris will definitely stay here then too (maybe in a WoW suite .....
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold
Thanks for the report. Really looking forward to a 3 night stay in a Wonderful room beginning oct 6. As a gold, I won't get the platinum perks, but can't wait to check out the hotel.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
After many many years as Platinum, 2013 will see me as a mere 'Gold'. I've booked one night in mid March at the Paris W using points, and was wondering about Gold treatment here. I'm not looking for a suite or dramatic upgrade, but would like a nice room with a view if possible ??
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:55 am
ESC

Programs: AC S100K
Marvelous Birthday Stay at the W Paris Opéra!

We stayed here for 1 night in Feb 2013. Booked a beatthetimer.com rate (285 Euro). The hotel was especially happening for Paris Fashion Week - we were invited to a party in the lobby/bar to celebrate the opening of Fashion Week as well as the hotel's anniversary! Cécile, the W Insider, introduced herself at check-in and extended the invite to us.

We used a SNA to upgrade to a Marvelous Suite ... and yes, it was indeed marvelous! The hotel even gifted us with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne for my birthday.

The service of the W team at this property was outstanding. Everyone was so attentive, warm, and genuinely seemed to take an interest in assisting guests to the best of their ability. One of the team members even insisted on showing us up to our room and introducing us to all the cool features in our suite. We were really impressed. I think the team here would rival the ones at the W Taipei and the W Hong Kong.

In lieu of the 500-point plat amenity, we decided on the breakfast, which I would describe as "Continental Plus", in the Restaurant Arola (worth 38 Euro I think). In addition to the cheeses, yogurt, and pastries, there was also a few plates (tapas-style) of a very nice smoked salmon and Iberian charcuterie. The team said that this was because the chef believed in having some additional protein to round out the usual continental breakfast. My friend really enjoyed the smoked salmon, so they even gave her extra. Would highly recommend this breakfast.

All in all, had a marvelous stay here!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:17 am

Great to hear of the recent posts pointing to improved service.
Here's hoping that it isn't a fluke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.