Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SgFred
W is better in terms of quality and Westin for range. I would choose W for service was superior and the overall impression.
Agreed on both counts
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SgFred
W is better in terms of quality and Westin for range. I would choose W for service was superior and the overall impression.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agreed on both counts
thanks to the both of you for your help!

Do you know if there is an easy way to check the chances of me getting SNA upgrade if I stay at the W? It seems there are less rooms with good views at the W compared to the Westin
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i did apply SNA to my stays twice.

iirc, in the first stay, SNA was not approved but got upgraded to fantastic suite at check-in anyway.

the second stay, it was approved 5 days before arrival (got marvelous suite).
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
i did apply SNA to my stays twice.

iirc, in the first stay, SNA was not approved but got upgraded to fantastic suite at check-in anyway.

the second stay, it was approved 5 days before arrival (got marvelous suite).
Did you get any nice views of the Eiffel Tower or Paris skyline with the Fantastic or Marvelous suite?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Did you get any nice views of the Eiffel Tower or Paris skyline with the Fantastic or Marvelous suite?
my first stay: Fantastic suite - view of opposite building

my second stay: Marvelous suite - view of opera building

i'm pretty sure that no room here have view of eiffel tower or paris skyline (it's a low rise buliding)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
my first stay: Fantastic suite - view of opposite building

my second stay: Marvelous suite - view of opera building

i'm pretty sure that no room here have view of eiffel tower or paris skyline (it's a low rise buliding)
Got it, thanks! Even though the breakfast is better quality here, I think I'm going to go with the Westin since it has the view and didn't sound like the breakfast is bad, just not as great.

Thanks to all and this thread for helping me decide!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do any rooms or suites here have balconies? Another strange question...what face is on the pillows on each room's bed?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Got it, thanks! Even though the breakfast is better quality here, I think I'm going to go with the Westin since it has the view and didn't sound like the breakfast is bad, just not as great.

Thanks to all and this thread for helping me decide!
FWIW, when I stayed at the Westin they worked hard to get me one of the best views available as it was for my honeymoon (later switched to PdG).
It wasn’t a suite but one facing the park and the Eiffel Tower – but in all honesty I did not find the view impressive. The hotel is quite some distance away from the tower so the view you get is one of a tiny tower in the distance. I should really have just gone for a suite with no view.

I hope this helps to manage your expectations – for a magical view of the Eiffel Tower from your room, consider looking into the Shangri-La even for a single night!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by jaejaez
FWIW, when I stayed at the Westin they worked hard to get me one of the best views available as it was for my honeymoon (later switched to PdG).
It wasn’t a suite but one facing the park and the Eiffel Tower – but in all honesty I did not find the view impressive. The hotel is quite some distance away from the tower so the view you get is one of a tiny tower in the distance. I should really have just gone for a suite with no view.

I hope this helps to manage your expectations – for a magical view of the Eiffel Tower from your room, consider looking into the Shangri-La even for a single night!
Not a great fan of the Westin, but even a cursory search on google maps will tell you the relative distance of the Westin from the tower compared to the Shang. If proximity is everything, then for a "magical" view of the tower why not stay at the Pullman Tour Eiffel?

I did a three night stay at the Westin at the end of December and I was given a Room with a View of the tower when my SNAs failed to clear. I thought that the view was more than good enough and this having seen the Eiffel Tower from the Shangri-La Suite and a Superior Room with Eiffel Tower view from the Pullman. What I liked was being able to capture in one panoramic shot from the room of the balcony the Louvre, Les Invalides, Concorde/Paris Wheel and the tower. Not to mention an excellent view of Les Tuileries. While great views have a limited impression on me, they're definitely better than looking at an internal courtyard or some back alley, especially if they don't cost extra...

Oddly, when I lived in Paris, I only went up the tower twice, both times within the last 2-3 months of my three-year stint in the capital, and even then the last time was actually to lunch at Jules Verne. Then again, I took Line 6 or walked from Beaugrenelle to Bir Hakeim so many times, for me it just became part of the Paris landscape like the smog.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
Not a great fan of the Westin, but even a cursory search on google maps will tell you the relative distance of the Westin from the tower compared to the Shang. If proximity is everything, then for a "magical" view of the tower why not stay at the Pullman Tour Eiffel?

I did a three night stay at the Westin at the end of December and I was given a Room with a View of the tower when my SNAs failed to clear. I thought that the view was more than good enough and this having seen the Eiffel Tower from the Shangri-La Suite and a Superior Room with Eiffel Tower view from the Pullman. What I liked was being able to capture in one panoramic shot from the room of the balcony the Louvre, Les Invalides, Concorde/Paris Wheel and the tower. Not to mention an excellent view of Les Tuileries. While great views have a limited impression on me, they're definitely better than looking at an internal courtyard or some back alley, especially if they don't cost extra...

Oddly, when I lived in Paris, I only went up the tower twice, both times within the last 2-3 months of my three-year stint in the capital, and even then the last time was actually to lunch at Jules Verne. Then again, I took Line 6 or walked from Beaugrenelle to Bir Hakeim so many times, for me it just became part of the Paris landscape like the smog.
I guess the whole concept around "a good view of the tower" can be highly subjective. I was in one of the closest rooms to the Eiffel Tower at the Westin (towards the corner near the Concorde Metro) and I did not find the view all that impressive (nor did my wife) as I found the tower too distant, especially on days when it was hazy. When we stayed at the Shangri-La I was impressed even pleasantly overwhelmed. I did not stay at the Pullman so won't comment on those.

Each to their own but I would suggest that the newcomers do a quick image search (there're tons on the web) for Eiffel Tower view rooms for the different hotels.. because not all "Eiffel Tower Views" are born equal..

Having said all of that I would still pick the W over any of these hotels for the service and the vibe (entertaining view of the chaotic traffic around the Opera) and the bar scene
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: *wood Gold
We just spent two nights here at the beginning of a longer trip on points and had booked a Wonderful Room. I am gold, and was told upon check in that they could upgrade me to a Spectacular Room because I was gold, or they could offer me the Fantastic Suite for 130/night,and that it was ready for check at that time, which was about 10am. Being jet lagged and disoriented, that sounded like a fantastic deal so we took it. We had a view of the Opera and a large bathroom with a large tub that was awesome for soaking after our long site-seeing days, but it was the smallest suite I have ever been in. They also sent up champagne and pastries the first night. Did not do the breakfast so can't comment on that but everyone we interacted with at the property was awesome. I thought the neighborhood was great, loved the proximity to Galeries Lafayette (particularly the food court!) but on our return to Paris we stayed at the Le Metropolitan and I honestly loved that neighborhood more. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the W again, though.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:08 pm

Im staying here between Christmas and NYE. I booked the fantastic suite, what’s the best way to secure an upgrade to a nicer suite as a SPG GOLD?
anything in advance, or just ask when checking in?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Thino
Im staying here between Christmas and NYE. I booked the fantastic suite, what’s the best way to secure an upgrade to a nicer suite as a SPG GOLD?
anything in advance, or just ask when checking in?
In my experience, any upgrade given to an SPG Gold would be something along the lines of a standard room to a higher-floor standard room or a renovated room. If you already booked a suite, you'll get that and not much else other than your requisite elite benefits. You can always ask at check-in, but don't get your hopes up.

Enjoy Paris!

khabah
Thino likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The smallest suite that I have experienced, so far, at all the Marriott / Starwood properties I have stayed had.

Great location, impressive view, ok service, except for one Concierge that was excellent.

The breakfast is not bad but nothing spectacular - no WOW!

I was told that the hotel has started a renovation process and that it is taking over the very nice space next door, where the Apple store is located.

Paris was beautiful during this October week.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hopefully they put a proper gym in w/the added space...
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.