Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Great to hear of the recent posts pointing to improved service.
Here's hoping that it isn't a fluke!
err, think the service has always been top class at this hotel - one or 2 digs at the decor but other than that the W has proved to be a great hotel with consistent delivery (albeit at consistently high prices!). Having done 5 stays there last year (all in their first month), I've been back 3 times in the last month and on each occasion have had an upgrade to a suite, had a genuine "really nice to see you again" from one of the reception staff who checked me in on my first visit (on their 2nd night) and even got a "wow, this is your 8th stay" last week from the still enthused receptionist!

Only slight disappointment for me is that I thought I'd finally scored the elusive Wow suite upgrade last week as it was showing on the iphone app, only to find that it had been changed to a Marvellous suite upgrade when I got there.....(#firstworldproblems)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ant_west
Only slight disappointment for me is that I thought I'd finally scored the elusive Wow suite upgrade last week as it was showing on the iphone app, only to find that it had been changed to a Marvellous suite upgrade when I got there.....(#firstworldproblems)
How devastating!!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
I was wondering if anyone can comment on treatment for Gold Members at this property. I see that a couple of people have asked, but no responses. The Mrs. and I will be staying at the W beginning this Sunday for 7 nights. I have booked a Spectacular room and was wondering what I should expect, if anything.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat75
Thank you so much, ant_west and nicolas75 for all the detailed information. Ant, here's hoping you get that WOW Suite upgrade soon!
Question: I'm planning a two week trip for myself and my husband (will be our first time in Paris) next mid-May. We're doing one week at the W and one week at Prince de Galles. Which hotel would you go to first? I was thinking W then PDG, but would love any input (or you can tell me I'm over thinking it and it doesn't matter--I tend to do that ).
Thank you!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Been meaning to get back to this after a great trip to Paris and stay at the W and letting the other Golds out there about the benefits/upgrade situation.

I had booked a prepaid flight/hotel package through Orbitz because the savings were incredible as compared to booking on my own or with other providers. The Orbitz negotiated rate for a Spectacular room was 199 Euros per night which worked out to less than $260. I had figured that I wasn't going to get any Starpoints for the stay but was hoping for an upgrade and other benefits based on my Gold status so I made sure that my SPG number was in the reservation record prior to my arrival.

We got to the hotel around 10:30am and at check-in without saying a word besides my name I was welcomed and told that they had my SPG number and had upgraded us to a Marvelous Suite. I was also asked what option I wanted for my Gold benefit (I selected free internet) and that was that. I only got Starpoints for my incidentals, but I can't complain. I knew the rules going in and was happy to get the upgrade and internet.

The hotel staff was excellent. I had the opportunity to speak with the General Manager on more than one occasion who was very nice (he is transferring to Washington DC soon). We were also greeted by the staff by name multiple times, which was unexpected. They were very helpful with questions and directions. Concierge made dinner reservations/changes for us multiple times always with a smile. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but did have drinks and snacks in the bar. Expensive for what it is by American standards, but fun nonetheless when on vacation.

We found the location of the hotel to be excellent. Shopping at your doorstep (litterally if you want to go to an Apple store). 2-3 minute walk to two Metro stations and multiple buses. We even opted to take the Roisy Bus back to CDG since it was a 5 minute walk around the Opera. All in all, a great stay.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:10 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm heading to the W in early Sept for 5 nights using points - hoping for some sort of an upgrade as a Plat. We really like this part of town so decided on the W instead of the Prince De Galles. What are the breakfast options included as part of my Plat amenity?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tomphot
What are the breakfast options included as part of my Plat amenity?
see post #25 of this thread for details and photo

I was back at the W a couple of weeks ago and arriving off the Eurostar in the evening from London when I checked in, I was told that they had a surprise for me as it was my 10th stay at the hotel - they had a "very nice" upgrade for me. Lo and behold it was the elusive WoW suite upgrade but not just the Wow but the Extreme Wow! Nice 10th stay present! When I arrived at the room, there sitting on the table was a brownie cake in the shape of a 'W' with '10' underneath along with a card from the manager thanking me for my custom. Really nice touch and very much appreciated. Then later when room service was delivered the waiter commented I hadn't started on the cake yet - he mentioned he'd brought it up earlier and how pleased the staff were to see frequent and repeat stayers. Felt very genuine.

The suite itself is enormous and quirky. 2 huge rooms and a large bathroom. The 'lounge' consists of a long refectory table with seating on both sides and a bar at the end. There are no arm-chairs or sofas. There is a small wc off this room. The bedroom is in the 'point' of the building and has fantastic light with windows on both sides running into the point and one there itself. The bed is a custom built round affair dead centre of the room with various controls built into the headboard and a tv rising out of the foot.

Certainly not a suite for the traditionalists!

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:15 am

Thanks for all the great reviews ant_west and congratulations on the fantastic upgrade.

Most properties I've stayed at offer a buy up from the continental breakfast, is that offered here as well? I hate starting my day off with a bunch of carbs.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
ant_west,

Great pictures, especially the bedroom! I hope you enjoyed your stay.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Qantas WP, Hyatt Plat., SPG Plat., Hilton Diamond
3 nights here in this hotel. Everything is great and excellent view of opera. Just that when u request a kettle if u wish the tea and coffee sachet to be included it is chargeable! And I'm wondering the "basic items delivered trough our whatever/whenever service" listed item such as mouthwash is also chargeable!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:18 pm

We had a fantastic stay at the W-Opera. I must say, the staff here is fantastic, everyone had a smile their face and were helpful at every turn. The hotel was sold out on our first night so our Wonderful room that was booked is what we had. The room was fine, about the size that I expected, average room for the area. On our first morning for breakfast, while they were checking us in, I saw that 10 Plats had chosen the free breakfast for their amenity. The next day, we were upgraded to a Marvelous Suite for the rest of our stay - 215 - this was a real treat and a great room! as for the layout of the floors, in the lobby, there is an evacuation map that lists all floors -
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Does anyone know if the bathrooms here are ALL open leading into the bedroom?

I'm going away with a group of friends... but let's just say... we're not THAT friendly!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Does anyone know if the bathrooms here are ALL open leading into the bedroom?

I'm going away with a group of friends... but let's just say... we're not THAT friendly!
Nobody remembers what the bathrooms are like here?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:26 pm

The bathroom is an open concept and leads straight into the bedroom. Anything you do at the bathroom sink will be visible from the bedroom ‘area’.
The toilet, however, is blocked off and has a door you can lock.
The shower is within a glass-cube which is shaded so whilst you’ll be able to see the ‘overall figure’, the ‘details’ won’t be seen…

If you’ve ever been to W Seoul Walkerhill, it is a similar concept.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:20 pm

I've stayed in 2 types of rooms - Wonderful room and Spectacular Suite.
Both room have VERY heavy frosted glass on the bathroom walls, no way you can make out a body shape through it. Both room also had frosted glass doors that blocked that area, including sink, off from the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.