Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
I want that Caroline Astor suite you had before. I would definitely save the SNA here.
The Caroline Astor suite is spectacular. I was in a St. Regis suite and it is not even close.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Something new with Bonvoy! Tried to apply an SNA to a late July stay. Cannot find the SNA online, so call Customer Service. First person had no idea what a SNA is! Really! second one told me the hotel can elect not to provide SNA...not even a registration for it! It's low season in Bangkok with a seriously low rate for the hotel. So they are clearly not at high occupancy.

Anybody wants to shade some lights on this?!? And as of Customer Service for Bonvoy, they are just a waste of time so far for me!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Booked at prepaid rate?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Yes, I believe so...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Old May 12, 2019, 6:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
St.Regis Bangkok = Suite Upgrade this Time, But Competition Gets Better Too

The St. Regis Bangkok

Map| 10 Reviews | 100% Recommended

The St. Regis Bangkok

159 Rajadamri Road Bangkok, TH 10330

St.Regis Bangkok = Suite Upgrade this Time, But Competition Gets Better Too (18 Photos)

The St. Regis Bangkok

I wrote a review of St.Regis Bangkok six months ago so I would normally not have anything material to add but I thought it would be worthwhile to provide an update because:

• I was upgraded to a different room type this time
  • I did not go to happy hour, the gym, or the pool last time so my review was incomplete
  • I stayed at Waldorf Astoria immediately before my stay at St.Regis this month and I thought the comparison might be worthwhile

Room

After my breakfast at Waldorf Astoria, I casually walked over to St.Regis around 8am without luggage to inform them of my arrival and I told them that I did not need the room right away because I was checking out from WA at 2pm.  I knew the Metropolitan Suite was available online but they only upgraded me to the Grand Deluxe room.  I asked if they normally upgrade Ambassador guests to suites and they said yes, but that the room was not ready and I could get it only if I was willing to wait.  I thought that was an odd answer - I had already said at the beginning of the conversation that I certainly did not expect or need my room at 8am.  I wish the upgrade had been a bit more proactive but in the end I was glad to get the Met Suite because I was curious to see how that room type looks like.  

I do not know if my memory fails me, but I thought the Grand Deluxe room I had in November was perhaps renovated more recently than the Met Suite.  Perhaps the hotel is not old enough to have done renovations yet, and instead the explanation could be that there has just been more wear and tear in the suite I had, anyway I thought the condition of the suite was a notch below my room a few months ago unless I am mistaken.  Nothing drastic but it did not seem as spotless as the Grand Deluxe: some stains on the carpet and chairs for example.  Or perhaps the fact that I had just stayed in the pristine Deluxe Suite at WA and the dropoff to the 8-year old St.Regis was more apparent.  In any event, in terms of hardware WA is far better than St.Regis if we compare the two suites.  Everything is more high end at WA and technological features far more advanced at WA.  My suite at WA was in the back of the hotel so no Park view, yet there was still a nice view of the city, compared to no view at all in the StR Met Suite since all you see is a tall building in front.  However for people who care about space, the Met Suite is far bigger than the Deluxe Suite at WA, it’s not even close.  The Met Suite has a full separate living room, a dining room, and kitchen appliances, whereas WA has none of that, plus the suite at StR has 1.5 bath and only 1 at WA.  Therefore I believe some people will prefer the suite at WA and some will prefer the one at StR.  A couple of interesting features I liked from the suite at StR: the large mirror and big window with blinds in the shower, and the sliding panel in the dining room to hide the “kitchen” if desired.

IMG_3352.jpegIMG_3354.jpegIMG_3355.jpegIMG_3357.jpegIMG_3358.jpegIMG_3359.jpegIMG_3361.jpeg

Dining

For breakfast my comments from before stand: StR is inferior to some other options within Marriott and given what’s on offer at WA there is no debate : WA is clearly better.  Unlike some reports earlier in this thread, I do not think the buffet improved recently at StR, if anything it’s unchanged or perhaps a bit downgraded from last time.  For example fried rice did not have anything in it, not even veggies – just eggs.  A far cry from the fried rice with protein I had at WA (for example, seafood fried rice).  On the plus side, StR has sushi unlike WA, and StR has more choices of juices.  Regarding the restaurant setting, the environment in the WA restaurant is superior by a significant margin due to the sparse layout of tables compared to the packed StR restaurant.  

IMG_3373.jpeg

For this stay I went to happy hour.  Besides perhaps Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, the bar at StR is possibly the best venue for happy hour drinks in Bangkok among the hotels I have visited before.  The Platinum drinks list includes cocktails and I was surprised that happy hour includes more than just a drink, they also offered a small appetizer – I expected no food at all.  I had a small dish of larb gai which was tasty, followed by a few crunchy snacks.  The equivalent at WA is not nearly as generous especially for long stays: 500 THB food & beverage credit per person, per stay.  StR wins easily here because it’s one drink per person per day.

IMG_3362.jpegIMG_3363.jpegIMG_3364.jpegIMG_3375.jpeg

Pool

Based on advice from @Kacee last time, I did check out the pool.  I concur: it is very nice and in fact better than the pool at WA which is a bit small and more sterile.  There are lots of chairs available at StR, some under the roof for those who want shadow, and some closer to the pool.  The only drawback is that the view of the park from the pool could be fantastic but the pool is not close to the edge so you cannot really enjoy the view much unless you stand up outside the pool.  There are chairs near the edge but they face the pool not the park.  In this aspect only, the pool at WA wins because it’s an infinity pool that ends right in front of a glass wall with views of the park and the city.  

IMG_3370.jpegIMG_3371.jpegIMG_3372.jpegIMG_3376.jpeg

Gym

The gym at St.Regis was disappointing.  There are only two treadmills and two elliptical machines and the TV was not functioning very well on any of them.  Some channels had a fuzzy image or no image at all.  On the plus side, there are several weight machines which is nice, and interestingly there is a small boxing ring. Other than that, the new and shiny machines at WA with big TVs trump the old ones at StR.  

IMG_3367.jpegIMG_3368.jpeg

Service

While service at WA was personal, friendly, and they made clear efforts to be as helpful as possible, nonetheless there is simply more staff available at StR to handle any request from guests so service at StR is superior in my humble opinion.  Also in my previous review of StR I made a mistake: the laundry benefit for Plat/Tit/Amb is not 2 pieces of laundry per person per day (=4 for a couple), it’s 4 per person per day so a whopping 8 per day for a couple.  At WA as Diamond I got nothing at all, in fact they provide an ironing board in the room.  There is no iron at StR because with 8 pieces a day you don’t need it!

Wifi

Last time at StR I did not notice issues with wifi but it was quite spotty this time.  It stopped working completely on a few occasions which should not be happening for a hotel of this caliber.  

Overall

Overall I think different guests will have different preferences between WA and StR depending on what they value most. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic room at WA and the breakfast buffet, and I value that more than the extra space of the Met Suite, the more generous happy hour at StR, and the better service at StR too.  I wish the suite was bigger at WA, but the high end finishes make up for it.  Regarding happy hour if I am in a drinking mood I won’t go to either StR or WA; I will pick Le Meridien, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, or hotels with a lounge such as Athenee.  And service is great at StR but it’s not like WA was mediocre (it was good too) so I would not pick StR exclusively based on service especially not in a city where I do not need service as much as if I was a first time visitor.  But that’s just me, admittedly.  So it’s nice to have different options depending on needs and preferences, for me I can see WA deserving a price premium over StR which is generally the case on average based on my observations so far.  The other issue for StR is that on my last stay at Athenee I was upgraded to a suite for the first time, it was newly renovated, and frankly it just looked sharper than the one at StR.  Not that I would expect to get a suite every time at Athenee (one does not make it a trend), but comparing apples and apples if upgrades are becoming more generous at Athenee going forward, there is a lounge, breakfast is better at Athenee, and prices are lower than at StR… so in my mind StR has to deal not only with WA’s arrival as a decent competitor but perhaps also deal with improving rooms at Athenee too. 

St.Regis Bangkok = Suite Upgrade this Time, But Competition Gets Better Too

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Dave510 and xar like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:01 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What floor was this suite on? It looks like the suite facing the back of the hotel on the top floor as opposed to a standard Metropolitan Suite, especially with the kitchen.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Some
Yes, the layout looks like a Grand Metropolitan Suite I had last time I stayed there - unless I'm wrong I don't think the standard Metropolitan Suites are anywhere near that size? My observations were fairly similar at the time that service and space in the suite were very good, but that the finish on the hard product wasn't perfect and there were quite a few stains / chips to the furniture at the time.

Sounds quite a small thing, but one of my main objections to the St. Regis (and also Athenee) is there is no easy way to connect your phone up to play music in the room, in this day and age I think all five star hotels should be facilitating this (even the otherwise very old fashioned SGS has a Bluetooth system for the televisions).
Old May 12, 2019, 8:37 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
NIce review. Was thinking of paying them a visit maybe end-june to use my FHA.
Any thoughts if i should toss in a SNA too for an upgrade?
Old May 12, 2019, 9:13 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
@escape4 — I disagree about the HH at the StR. I think it's a pretty weak offering, limiting you to one drink. That's great, but it's just not competitive in BKK where you have free-flow at the SGS, LM, etc.
EuropeanPete and GalaxyChris like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
What floor was this suite on? It looks like the suite facing the back of the hotel on the top floor as opposed to a standard Metropolitan Suite, especially with the kitchen.
Oh, I thought all floors were the same - good observation @m0hamed. I was not on the top floor, I was one floor below the top floor and I cannot remember for sure what floor number that is. See below a plan in a brochure for the St.Regis residences which sit above the hotel. It might very well be that the top 2 floors of the hotel are different, not just the top floor, since they are marked "suites" rather than "guestrooms".

As you get off the elevators you are facing a wall, and need to turn left to access all rooms. Then you take the hallway going to the left and my room was the first one on the right. I guess that is right that it's the "back" of the hotel but I am not very good with orientation to be honest.

Originally Posted by helvetic
@escape4 — I disagree about the HH at the StR. I think it's a pretty weak offering, limiting you to one drink. That's great, but it's just not competitive in BKK where you have free-flow at the SGS, LM, etc.
I am not sure we disagree, perhaps one of my statements was not clear. What I mean is I previously thought happy hour at StR was only one drink per person. I was positively surprised that it also comes with an appetizer, and also I liked the venue. It exceeded my (low) expectations. Also, we can say objectively that StR happy hour is better than WA happy hour in terms of Platinum / Diamond benefit. That said, yes it's a weak offering. If I am in the mood to drink, then the fact that StR is better than WA for happy hour is irrelevant: they are both subpar, it's just that WA is worst, so I won't go to either StR or WA if I want free flow drinks so that is why in my mind, yes it's a point in favor of StR but it is so weak that practically speaking that argument will almost never drive my choice between StR and WA.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, the layout looks like a Grand Metropolitan Suite I had last time I stayed there - unless I'm wrong I don't think the standard Metropolitan Suites are anywhere near that size? My observations were fairly similar at the time that service and space in the suite were very good, but that the finish on the hard product wasn't perfect and there were quite a few stains / chips to the furniture at the time.
Without knowing, I might have been in the Grand Met Suite, not the Met Suite then - a more generous upgrade than I thought. I had booked the entry level room.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4
Without knowing, I might have been in the Grand Met Suite, not the Met Suite then - a more generous upgrade than I thought. I had booked the entry level room.
Officially it’s a Grand Metro Suite but it’s more of sub Penthouse. Had the room before and reviewed it in this thread. It’s lovely. Yes view is of the back of the hotel but it’s high so you get some views. Definitely a very high upgrade.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

Sounds quite a small thing, but one of my main objections to the St. Regis (and also Athenee) is there is no easy way to connect your phone up to play music in the room, in this day and age I think all five star hotels should be facilitating this (even the otherwise very old fashioned SGS has a Bluetooth system for the televisions).
The speaker next to the bed does connect via Bluetooth in that Grand Met Suite.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:10 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Dave510

The speaker next to the bed does connect via Bluetooth in that Grand Met Suite.
These days I just travel with a portable bluetooth speaker. I've wasted too much time trying to figure out how to connect to the audio system in various hotels around the world.
GalaxyChris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.