Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the review and pics. A couple of comments.

The upgrade from Deluxe to Grand Deluxe at St. Regis gives you a view of the Sports Club. I find the view quite nice, so would consider that a meaningful upgrade.

No mention of the pool - did you check that out? It's spectacular. The nicest of any property I've stayed at in Bangkok and big plus for this property if you're looking for an urban vacation.

The issue I've had at SGS my last two stays is the crowds of tourists from the mainland. Breakfast at Orchid Cafe resembled a rugby scrum and the pool was completely overwhelmed (and the staff visibly unhappy about it). I stayed one night at St. Regis last visit due to lack of availability at SGS, and found it to be a serene escape from all that.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
No mention of the pool - did you check that out? It's spectacular. The nicest of any property I've stayed at in Bangkok and big plus for this property if you're looking for an urban vacation.
Thanks for the tip mate, I appreciate it. Indeed I did not check out the pool - in Thailand usually I spend time at the pool in Hua Hin, Phuket, or Krabi, but not much in Bangkok. Sounds like it would be worth relaxing at the pool of St.Regis Bangkok and I will go out of my way to do so on my next stay there based on your recommendation.

The upgrade from Deluxe to Grand Deluxe at St. Regis gives you a view of the Sports Club. I find the view quite nice, so would consider that a meaningful upgrade.
I am in Bangkok too often I guess, so I no longer pay attention to the view much except for the panoramic view suite at Millenium Hilton right on the river which is the strong point (and room type) of that hotel. But I can understand that some people would enjoy the view from St.Regis Grand Deluxe room and that was missing from my review.

The issue I've had at SGS my last two stays is the crowds of tourists from the mainland. Breakfast at Orchid Cafe resembled a rugby scrum and the pool was completely overwhelmed (and the staff visibly unhappy about it). I stayed one night at St. Regis last visit due to lack of availability at SGS, and found it to be a serene escape from all that.
On my last stay at SGS I also did not enjoy the atmosphere much at the buffet, but at least Rossini is a pleasant alternative.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

GH and Pen breakfasts were also the same. St. Regis is definitely more better managed or price prohibitive for the masses.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:14 am
kkl

So far have not seen tour busses pulling up to str bkk
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
GH and Pen breakfasts were also the same. St. Regis is definitely more better managed or price prohibitive for the masses.
I am no expert, but suspect it depends on the channels they sell into and their willingness to discount. I get the sense St. Regis has deliberately not gone there.

I stopped staying at Shangri-La when they sold out to the tour groups. It degrades the service levels. Property can't be selling half its room at 3* prices and continue to deliver 5* service.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Thanks for the update. We stayed here for 3 nights earlier this year in a Grand Deluxe and very pleased with every aspect of the hotel. We would certainly return here as well. The car service from BKK was really well done and worth the $ for us.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:08 pm
kkl

Currently on site, made to order dishes at breakfast have been cut down. Not as extensive

But buffet seems to have improved? Better quality pastries and bigger range of Thai breakfast choices.

Coffee order was forgotten but small issue.

Hotel is running at high capacity

Service still top notch.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kkl
Currently on site, made to order dishes at breakfast have been cut down. Not as extensive

But buffet seems to have improved? Better quality pastries and bigger range of Thai breakfast choices.

Coffee order was forgotten but small issue.

Hotel is running at high capacity

Service still top notch.
I bet they could still make your old favorites if you remember what they were.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:27 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by Aventine
I bet they could still make your old favorites if you remember what they were.
will try that tomorrow. Lobster omelette mm
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by kkl
will try that tomorrow. Lobster omelette mm
Do they still offer sushi and sashimi at VIU breakfast buffet?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Do they still offer sushi and sashimi at VIU breakfast buffet?
I saw sushi but not sure on sashimi
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Just checked in for New Years Eve stay. The property is fully booked, so obviously and understandably no upgrades available.
At checkin Platinum is mentioned but in my view not really further recognised. Booked a Grand Deluxe for the nice view, but was put into a room to the back of the building without saying anything. After highlighting that this is not even a room in my paid category, I was moved to the front side of the hotel but in the smallest one available.
When explaining my expectations to front desk to have a room at least in my paid category and then also ideally one of the better ones within that category, they shrugged their shoulders about it.
Also had to ask for drink vouchers, as those were not offered proactively at checkin.
This is very different to previous experiences as Platinum here. So I’m wondering whether it’s a peak day glitch or service and platinum recognition has been going down in general?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 am
kkl

Originally Posted by MOZBOB
Just checked in for New Years Eve stay. The property is fully booked, so obviously and understandably no upgrades available.
At checkin Platinum is mentioned but in my view not really further recognised. Booked a Grand Deluxe for the nice view, but was put into a room to the back of the building without saying anything. After highlighting that this is not even a room in my paid category, I was moved to the front side of the hotel but in the smallest one available.
When explaining my expectations to front desk to have a room at least in my paid category and then also ideally one of the better ones within that category, they shrugged their shoulders about it.
Also had to ask for drink vouchers, as those were not offered proactively at checkin.
This is very different to previous experiences as Platinum here. So I’m wondering whether it’s a peak day glitch or service and platinum recognition has been going down in general?
There was a letter given to me at check in couple weeks ago explaining plat benefits. As a return customer I remarked that no need to be explained
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by MOZBOB
So I’m wondering whether it’s a peak day glitch or service and platinum recognition has been going down in general?
The treated me quite well in October.

I bet they're frazzled dealing with room assignments. Inventory has been totally messed up since the switch to the Marriott booking platform earlier this month. Marriott should have waited until after the holidays to do that.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
The treated me quite well in October.

I bet they're frazzled dealing with room assignments. Inventory has been totally messed up since the switch to the Marriott booking platform earlier this month. Marriott should have waited until after the holidays to do that.
That’s possible that the changeover to Marriott didn’t help, but I was most surprised by the ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude at front desk when I raised what I noticed. Hence my post....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.