Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by MOZBOB
Just checked in for New Years Eve stay. The property is fully booked, so obviously and understandably no upgrades available.
At checkin Platinum is mentioned but in my view not really further recognised. Booked a Grand Deluxe for the nice view, but was put into a room to the back of the building without saying anything. After highlighting that this is not even a room in my paid category, I was moved to the front side of the hotel but in the smallest one available.
When explaining my expectations to front desk to have a room at least in my paid category and then also ideally one of the better ones within that category, they shrugged their shoulders about it.
Also had to ask for drink vouchers, as those were not offered proactively at checkin.
This is very different to previous experiences as Platinum here. So I’m wondering whether it’s a peak day glitch or service and platinum recognition has been going down in general?
I'm here too and have had a pretty good experience so far. I was a bit worried about receiving a smoking room despite having booked a non smoking room but wasn't a problem in the end. My upgrade was from city view to sports club view which is reasonable for a 5 night stay.

Do you know where you can use your drink vouchers tonight? The bar is being used for the NYE party so I assumed they weren't honoring the vouchers exceptionally this evening.

My only issue is that I had applied 5 SNA to the stay which was denied (no big surprise) but they only returned 1 back to my account. I've got no idea how to go about sorting that out as I don't think it is a St Regis issue, more of a marriott thing.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Originally Posted by newshound
I'm here too and have had a pretty good experience so far. I was a bit worried about receiving a smoking room despite having booked a non smoking room but wasn't a problem in the end. My upgrade was from city view to sports club view which is reasonable for a 5 night stay.
Good to hear it still works for some, maybe (and hopefully) my experience was an exception.
I was mostly struck by their indifference....enough to decide to try the Waldorf Astoria next time when I’m back in a few weeks.

BTW: a bit too late, but drinks were on ground floor....
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was mostly struck by their indifference....enough to decide to try the Waldorf Astoria next time when I’m back in a few weeks.
That seems rather extreme. If you felt insufficiently worshipped at SR, you're certainly not going to enjoy WA.
MikeFromTokyo and kkl like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:09 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

That’s possible that the changeover to Marriott didn’t help, but I was most surprised by the ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude at front desk when I raised what I noticed. Hence my post....
For the rates paid at the St.R and the status, you should have received better reception and treatment. I'd push back ...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
For the rates paid at the St.R
Not specific to OP's situation, just wanted to note SR was selling Grand Deluxe rooms over New Years for around 9k THB, about the same range as base rooms at he other full service Bangkok Marriott/SPG properties for that period.

I'm pretty sure this was an error, the inventory went totally wonky after the switch to the Marriott platform.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:34 pm

That’s possible that the changeover to Marriott didn’t help, but I was most surprised by the ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude at front desk when I raised what I noticed. Hence my post....
For the rates paid at the St.R and the status, you should have received better reception and treatment. I'd push back ...
I would give the staff the benefit of the doubt, as it was a very highly occupancy situation and they had additionally switched to the marriott system. It definitely sounds like an unsatisfactory experience, but are you absolutely sure there was in fact rude body language, or could that have been perceived due to the overall disappointment of not getting what you should have gotten?

I would contact management immediately and let them know you were dissatisfied. Receiving a room below your confirmed category is unacceptable, especially since there was no acknowledgement of it and your rate was not reduced accordingly. I think they owe you excellent service on your next stay, and a very generous upgrade in order to make this right.

Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Just for reference, I paid 15k and there was no rude body language (never mentioned that), just indifference....even about the room clearly below my paid category. I’m also not looking for ‘worshipping’, but at minimum what I paid for. I’ve seen indeed lower rates, if I would have booked earlier....that’s part of the game!
I’ve explained it in person at the front desk (shrugged shoulders) and summarised it all in the chat that I also used pre-arrival (sorry, maybe next time better).
I’m checking out today again and will just leave it like that. Happy to move on.
Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not specific to OP's situation, just wanted to note SR was selling Grand Deluxe rooms over New Years for around 9k THB, about the same range as base rooms at he other full service Bangkok Marriott/SPG properties for that period.

I'm pretty sure this was an error, the inventory went totally wonky after the switch to the Marriott platform.
The OP paid THB 15,000 per night which is a tremendous sum for a Bangkok hotel. Didn't mention which Platium he is (50, Premier, or Ambassador) so we won't talk about the best room at check-in, only that he is entitled to what he paid for, at a minimum.

St. Regis Bangkok on twitter: @StRegisBangkok https://twitter.com/stregisbangkok?lang=en

We’ll do our best to upgrade your room (including Select Suites), based on availability at check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability identified by each hotel and limited to your personal guest room. See terms and conditions for details.
It did not sound like they did their best ...

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:07 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:16 am

The OP paid THB 15,000 per night which is a tremendous sum for a Bangkok hotel. Didn't mention which Platium he is (50, Premier, or Ambassador) so we won't talk about the best room at check-in, only that he is entitled to what he paid for, at a minimum.
I believe I made clear my comment about the low rates was NOT directed at OP. I was commenting generally on inventory weirdness I've seen just within the past several weeks (since the platform switch), which included Grand Deluxe rooms for Dec. 30-Jan. 2 at under 10k THB per night (I actually had one of these booked, but went with SGS instead).

I suspect the property oversold various room types due to the very poorly timed and executed switch to the Marriott booking platform, which could explain OP's experience.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:20 am
kkl

Would not be surprised regarding marriott change over as they are unable to credit me my points for a booking just a few days before change over.

Made with old system. They can't locate my booking with old booking number
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would contact management immediately and let them know you were dissatisfied. Receiving a room below your confirmed category is unacceptable, especially since there was no acknowledgement of it and your rate was not reduced accordingly. I think they owe you excellent service on your next stay, and a very generous upgrade in order to make this right.
There wouldn't be a next stay for me in these circumstances, especially in Bangkok, where there are so many quality Marriott options.

Just for reference, I paid 15k and there was no rude body language (never mentioned that), just indifference....even about the room clearly below my paid category. I’m also not looking for ‘worshipping’, but at minimum what I paid for. I’ve seen indeed lower rates, if I would have booked earlier....that’s part of the game!
I’ve explained it in person at the front desk (shrugged shoulders) and summarised it all in the chat that I also used pre-arrival (sorry, maybe next time better).
Try SGS next time. One thing you will never get there is indifference and a shoulder shrug.
EuropeanPete and MOZBOB like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There wouldn't be a next stay for me in these circumstances, especially in Bangkok, where there are so many quality Marriott options.

Try SGS next time. One thing you will never get there is indifference and a shoulder shrug.
Are you saying that because of the perceived body language of one employee, that the St.R should be written off? St.R is the best Marriott property in Bangkok, and this was a one off bad experience that was likely caused by a perfect storm of high occupancy during the holidays, as well as the computer system change.

I am very surprised that there was apparently no service recovery during the actual stay. Did the OP raise this issue with management while still at the hotel?

This kind of experience is totally inconsistent with this hotel’s proven track record of treating guests very well. So, something weird must have happened. Not giving management a chance to fix this is foolish in my opinion - one could be leaving a great suite upgrade and a perfect hotel stay on the table by not doing so. But, of course there are four other great hotels in a row next door to his one walking up the street, should anyone want to try something else. However it is unrealistic to think that service will be flawless at those hotels 100% of the time either.

Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Are you saying that because of the perceived body language of one employee, that the St.R should be written off?
Just saying that I wouldn't go back.

St.R is the best Marriott property in Bangkok, ...
... in your opinion. The OP might feel differently.

... and this was a one off bad experience that was likely caused by a perfect storm of high occupancy during the holidays, as well as the computer system change.
High occupancy and computer issues are both irrelevant. Customer-facing staff have to be both pleasant and attuned to the needs of guests. Always. Are you saying that a full hotel during a busy period makes indifference by the staff acceptable? If so, then we just disagree.

I am very surprised that there was apparently no service recovery during the actual stay.
Me, too.

Not giving management a chance to fix this is foolish in my opinion ....
The hotel was given a chance to make it right. Unfortunately, OP reports that staff was indifferent. THIS is the big problem for me. Stuff happens. Pipes leak, electricity fails, booked rooms are unavailable, and more. What really differentiates a hotel, however, is how the hotel deals with those problems.

But, of course there are four other great hotels in a row next door to his one walking up the street, should anyone want to try something else. However it is unrealistic to think that service will be flawless at those hotels 100% of the time either.
Agreed. But as I said, it's how the hotel responds when there are failures. Apparently the staff at StR was indifferent. That takes it off the list for me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just saying that I wouldn't go back.

... in your opinion. The OP might feel differently.

High occupancy and computer issues are both irrelevant. Customer-facing staff have to be both pleasant and attuned to the needs of guests. Always. Are you saying that a full hotel during a busy period makes indifference by the staff acceptable? If so, then we just disagree.
StR Bkk is a great hotel, as many people will attest to. A perceived “shoulder shrug” and “indifference” on the part of one staff member - and bear in mind we do not even know both sides of this story - does not change the fact that it is an excellent hotel.
Kacee, bhrubin and Dave510 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Exactly. One member had a poor experience and won’t return, and other members have had excellent experiences and would return. Everyone wins by learning what more likely than not will work for them...and what won’t.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.