Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed at the Sheraton FW, W, and Sheraton SFO last week - all around $250-275. FW was nothing special but had a great sleep. At the W I used a SNA for a suite and was surprised how banged-up the suite was (was selling for $1,000 that night) - outlets didn't work at the desk, iPhone cable was broken in the charging pod. I was also really disappointed that they closed the pool to enlarge the gym. While the gym is very nice, I don't remember it being terrible and it now has a big chunk of wasted space where a few couches sit in the middle of it (?). I went partially just for the pool as I had a confirmed SNA at the Westin St. Francis for $20 less.

The Sheraton SFO upgraded me to a huge suite (no SNA) and I was surprised by the great lamb I had for dinner. For an extra $10 you can book a rate with $25 credit at the restaurant. I was more impressed with this hotel than the W, unexpectedly (have had 3 W stays in the last decade that were all better)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
The Sheraton SFO upgraded me to a huge suite (no SNA) and I was surprised by the great lamb I had for dinner. For an extra $10 you can book a rate with $25 credit at the restaurant. I was more impressed with this hotel than the W, unexpectedly (have had 3 W stays in the last decade that were all better)
I think you meant the Four Points SFO.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Napa Westin

Anyone?

I've eaten there only, may need an extra night to reach my 50 for the year and I'm considering this location as will be in Bay Area 24-31.

Eating there, they seem very self-important and you are so lucky to be there.

Anyone with a 1 night stay experience with PL status and 4 p.m. checkout?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:16 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
A year or so ago, I had a one night (Thursday) stay and got a very good upgrade and late checkout. YMMV as they may be more busy now.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stc
A year or so ago, I had a one night (Thursday) stay and got a very good upgrade and late checkout. YMMV as they may be more busy now.
+1. Friday and Saturday nights are prime time at this hotel; they are much more likely to move you to a suite on other nights of the week.

I really like the restaurant - have had 3 really terrific wine pairing dinners. But everyone's taste is different, and it certainly isn't an inexpensive outing.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Pet Peeve of mine. Happened to me last night and normally happens to me in San Francisco. Not being able to check into my room almost 3 hours after check in time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I will having a quick three night visit to San Francisco; I have only stayed at the Westin St Francis previously but those times I was a Platinum and nice upgrades to the Tower building overlooking Union Square. This time around I will be a lowly nothing status member and I see that the basic rooms are like 16sqm So to use my points wisely, I can spend 12K points either at the Westin OR go and stay at The Park Central where rooms vary between 20-36sqm (and hope I get a room at the bigger end of sizing). What would you do in my situation?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:00 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I will having a quick three night visit to San Francisco; I have only stayed at the Westin St Francis previously but those times I was a Platinum and nice upgrades to the Tower building overlooking Union Square. This time around I will be a lowly nothing status member and I see that the basic rooms are like 16sqm So to use my points wisely, I can spend 12K points either at the Westin OR go and stay at The Park Central where rooms vary between 20-36sqm (and hope I get a room at the bigger end of sizing). What would you do in my situation?
Given the Park Central has gotten better reviews lately and it might be the last chance there, *I* would go with the Park Central.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stc
Given the Park Central has gotten better reviews lately and it might be the last chance there, *I* would go with the Park Central.
Stayed at almost every SF property for numerous reasons over the last few years. We are currently at the Park Central because of house renovations. Since we are here for 3 wks, no upgrade, except to higher floor. This is the first time in probably a dozen stays we haven't received an upgrade. Outside of the St Regis this is my favorite SF city property. The rooms at the Palace and St Francis are more 'charming' but very worn. Only got an upgrade at the Palace because first room had issues. Also, the elevators at the new tower of the St Francis take forever. The Sheraton FW usually has the best rate, and the rooms were remodeled a few years ago, and the fire pits are great. Only been upgraded to preferred floors. The W is old and like others mentioned pretty worn out.

SFO airport. 4points is typical and the upgrades include a 2 level loft suite, which I have gotten a handful of times. I have always gotten some type of upgrade here. The Westin is also a normal, Westin. I've also always received an upgrade. Aloft is an aloft.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I liked the Park Central and while it doesn't quite have the "character" of the St. Francis, character in a hotel is not always a good thing. For Plats the St. Francis may be better since the Park Central seems to have very few suites, but for Golds/non-status members I think the Park Central is probably a better bet.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Thanks to all for your feedback. I will book the Park Central noting that it appears to be more recommended here, and that the rooms appear quite modern. After comparing room sizes the PC might be a bit just a bit bigger so I guess that's the key difference for me.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Planning a stay in a few weeks. LifeTime Plat at Marriott but trying to stay more SPG. Park Central looks nice, and is reasonably priced. I'll give it a try!
Old May 26, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I just had a few separate stays at Park Central.

Great property in a central location. Breakfast buffet is delicious. Didn't get a suite upgrade, even on a one night stay.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
What's going on the first weekend of February - other than Superbowl? Can that really explain that half of the hotels are sold out and the rest horrendously priced?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by remymartin
What's going on the first weekend of February - other than Superbowl? Can that really explain that half of the hotels are sold out and the rest horrendously priced?
Um ... Other than Superbowl? I think that's enough right there. It's not just the people that go to the game. The Superbowl is a big business with all kinds of vendors and associated media and industry people. The economic impacts (and all hotels being sold out) goes well beyond JUST the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.