Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by bgriff
Unless you're going to be going to offices near there, IMO the LM is a bit out of the way, and that area is especially dead on the weekends.

The W and the Palace are both clearly better than the PC IMO. So unless the PC is much cheaper (and watch out for its scammy "resort fee" in addition to the rate when doing the comparison, though I think some of the others might have started charging a similar thing by now), I'd stick with what you know. Both the W and Palace are reasonably solid and as you know offer very different styles so it's a matter of preference from that point.
Thanks for the input. I am travelling on a weekend for leisure so LM is out. I also checked the Design hotel and the cheapest room (more expensive than the Palace) is a bunk bed at 16m2 so no thanks, either

The cheapest Park Central rate is about 50 bucks cheaper than the other two and the Facility Fee is waived. The other two don't seem to have a similar fee, anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by remymartin
I am travelling on a weekend for leisure so LM is out.
The LM is our go-to hotel in SF for weekend travel. I would definitely recommend it unless you have to be where the noise is.

The cheapest Park Central rate is about 50 bucks cheaper than the other two and the Facility Fee is waived.
How did you manage that? Corporate rate?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The LM is our go-to hotel in SF for weekend travel. I would definitely recommend it unless you have to be where the noise is.

How did you manage that? Corporate rate?
I'm travelling solo - I need noise

I read about it under the Park Central thread - it's under "Promotions & Packages" instead of BAR. $121-138 without facility fee.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the input. I am travelling on a weekend for leisure so LM is out.
When people say "out of the way," really only by a short easy walk, either to Union Sq.. Chinatown / North Beach, or SOMA. Also, one of my favo(u)rite wine spots, The Barrel Room, is a very short walk.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I read about it under the Park Central thread - it's under "Promotions & Packages" instead of BAR. $121-138 without facility fee.
We'll have to keep our eyes out for that one.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When people say "out of the way," really only by a short easy walk, either to Union Sq.. Chinatown / North Beach, or SOMA. Also, one of my favo(u)rite wine spots, The Barrel Room, is a very short walk.
Thanks for the LM vouching to both of you. I'm currently holding a flexible booking at the W. They treated me very nicely last time. I'm not too familiar with SFO and will be travelling for 20h oneway for a short weekend trip. The last thing I need is serenity, otherwise I'll just fall asleep

Thanks for the tip on your favourite wine bar. I'll definitely check it out!

FWIW I've also taken a minor step over to the dark side and booked one of the two remaining Kimptons.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When people say "out of the way," really only by a short easy walk, either to Union Sq.. Chinatown / North Beach, or SOMA.
I've been staying at LM since the mid-90s when it was a Park Hyatt. Personally prefer it to the W or the Palace, but each has its advantages.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Appreciate some insights as I don't stay in downtown SF as a local.

My friend is looking at either the W, Westin St. Francis, The Palace, LM, or the Park.
Will be using an SNA as well too.

Priority would be landing into a suite.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by kxc262
Appreciate some insights as I don't stay in downtown SF as a local.

My friend is looking at either the W, Westin St. Francis, The Palace, LM, or the Park.
Will be using an SNA as well too.

Priority would be landing into a suite.
W is very hard for suites. I think the Park Central is as well but not sure. Palace I've had good luck at. Can't speak to Westin St Francis or LeM.

If you would otherwise be booking a refundable room rate (including using points) and have sufficient SNAs, best practice here would be to book as many places as you have SNAs to cover, request all of them, and then see which ones clear 5 days out and then cancel any unneeded reservations.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Recently was upgraded to a junior suite at St. Francis, as a Starwood Gold, confirmed 24 hours prior to check-in. The hotel did not seem empty to me at the time, but that's just anecdotal, of course.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LM will upgrade Plats if there are suites available. I'm 4/4 over the past year; these are all weekend stays.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Needless to say, this is all anecdotal, but...

I’m a p75. I’ve stayed at the Park Central at least a dozen times, including a couple weekends, and have never been upgraded to a suite. I do consistently get a room on one of the highest floors, however. I do not enjoy the lobby, service, bar, or breakfast at that hotel, but stay there often as it is a preferred property for my company.

I’ve stayed at LM three times and have been upgraded every time. The suites a very spacious and have private balconies. It is a far more pleasant hotel, IMO, and I prefer the location (far less riff raff outside). As mentioned above, you also have Barrel Room and Hidden Vine nearby.

I’ve also stayed at the St Francis a few times, and have always been upgraded to either a jr suite or a high floor room in the modern tower.

Outside of SPG, but in Marriott, I’ve also had very good upgrade success at the Addagio.

Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've had a number of stays at the Park Central in the last few years. Upgrades are hit and miss, but also depends on the front desk. I prefer regular rooms on a high floor. The suites have a funky corner shape. I like the breakfast.

Generally speaking, for SF, your arrival day really matters for suite upgrades. A typical property has ~50 platinums checking in on Mondays. I tend to always get upgraded when I arrive on Sundays, most of the time on Mondays (at properties where I'm a regular guest) but typically not if I arrive mid-week.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I've not stayed at the Park Central much since it changed from the Westin but just checked in...wow what a dumpster fire this place is now. In the nearly 700 SPG nights I can say this is by a long margin the crappiest SPG hotel I've ever stayed at. The mattress I believe they found under a bum in an alley, its crap and it along with the interior of the room remind me of a hostel in eastern europe. No room service...seriously in a hotel at this price point in this location no room service, they have a low rent restaurant downstairs you can bring about 10 items from their to-go menu up (think cheap hamburgers). this used to be a nice hotel, no longer - I cannot wait to leave this dump.
DJMeatBall likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:00 pm

I stayed at the W last weekend and was again very impressed. I got there early and was given a very nice room and late checkout, in addition to breakfast coupons and points. I don't know if it was a special weekend or not, but the breakfast was basically Sunday brunch with main courses ranging from burger to steak. And breakfast was extended to 2pm. ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.