Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by remymartin
I stayed at the W last weekend and was again very impressed.
I was there as well and favorably impressed.

SPG definitely has the best SF options of the major chains.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:15 pm

Happy Saturday,
I'm look for a bit of info in regards to which SPG property to book in SF based on needing 3 beds. Here's the specifics:
-Memorial Day weekend
-San Francisco in the city I've been many times but will be first time for other 2 in party.
-3 adults/ 3 beds
-Family/Tourism trim
-SPG Gold

So far I've come up with:
-Le Meridien - Studio Suite w/ 1 King, 1 Pullout coach, + rollaway bed. This was recommended when I called this morning and I was advised their Classic and Executive rooms with 2 double beds cannot have a rollaway bed.
-Westin Union Square - Traditional Room, Landmark Building with 2 double beds + rollaway bed.
-Westin SFO - I'd like to stay in town but at half the price, this could make a compelling option.

Any other ideas and recommendations? Thank you!

Last edited by davedeboston; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Any recommendations on what properties have the best breakfasts (Plat Amenity) on the weekends? Doing a two night stay with my GF. She lives in Oakland so probably don’t need to be close to much sights wise but any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nevansm
Any recommendations on what properties have the best breakfasts (Plat Amenity) on the weekends? Doing a two night stay with my GF. She lives in Oakland so probably don’t need to be close to much sights wise but any recommendations would be appreciated.
Palace hotel buffet is the best. Park Central buffet is 2nd. Le Meridien is more limited but generally good quality. Once in a while they have a buffet. Otherwise, it is a discount off the menu. W and St. Regis are decent quality wise but you don't get much for the amount they give you.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Another vote for Palace Hotel Breakfast Buffet. One of the best in North America, comparable to Asian Hotel. (I’m from Thailand.)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Have plans for a week in SF (Presidio area) & is pretty much confused on which hotel to book - open to both SPG & Marriott properties.

Dates - Aug 5 - 10, have business meetings/workshops from morning till evening so may not have time for Fancy breakfast. Suite upgrades & Lounge access will be a better perk; also any special benefits for Platinums? I am checking in on a Sunday noon - can I expect a suite upgrade (considering a 5Night stay ?)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Palace hotel buffet is the best. Park Central buffet is 2nd. Le Meridien is more limited but generally good quality. Once in a while they have a buffet. Otherwise, it is a discount off the menu. W and St. Regis are decent quality wise but you don't get much for the amount they give you.
At 25k points a night that's a bit of a stretch. How's the St. Francis breakfast?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:57 am

I’m looking for suggestions for a one night stay near SFO later this month. Late fight in, early flight out. We are a family of 4 with two small children. We are plats in both SPG and Marriott.

It it looks like pretty much all of the SFO hotels in both programs are 35k per night post-merger. What’s our best choice in the area? Priorities are room size for 4, free breakfast, shuttle.

Choices are Westin SFO, Aloft SFO, Marriott SFO, Fairfield? Others?

Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
I’m looking for suggestions for a one night stay near SFO later this month. Late fight in, early flight out. We are a family of 4 with two small children. We are plats in both SPG and Marriott.

It it looks like pretty much all of the SFO hotels in both programs are 35k per night post-merger. What’s our best choice in the area? Priorities are room size for 4, free breakfast, shuttle.

Westin and Aloft share a shuttle (are essentially on the same lot) and are the closest hotels to SFO, with very frequent shuttles (15 minutes?)
SurlyJoe likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
For a stay in a couple of weeks (on "changeover weekend"), we found the best rates at the Courtyard (San Bruno) and Aloft, so we're spending one night at each. Whatever you do, avoid the Four Points.
SurlyJoe likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:39 pm Reason: Clarify which Courtyard
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the advice regarding Four Points. Should have mentioned we will be using points. Trying to minimize vacation $$$ spent.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Should have mentioned we will be using points.
If I were spending points, I would probably go for the Marriott. The Westin is a bit run down, and I've never been impressed with Aloft (even though we frequently stay there due to the low rates). The Marriott will probably have the best lounge/breakfast option.

All the near-airport properties have shuttles.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:10 pm

Appreciate that. I’ve actually got a res for the Marriott, but I thought I’d ask anyways since I’m a Starwood guy at heart. This merger has made things more complicated.

Last edited by SurlyJoe; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Do check cash prices for the rooms, though

SFO pricing bounces all over the place and weekend rates can drop as low as $100 - so a much better deal than 35000 points. Agree 4 Points is a real dog, and that the Westin is a bit shopworn but the Plat restaurant breakfast is a lot better than the Marriott lounge IMO.

Parking is expensive in either case, and not sure there's an on-street alternative nearby.
SurlyJoe likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Parking is expensive in either case, and not sure there's an on-street alternative nearby.
Nearest free on-street parking is on Cowan Rd, which is a 5 min walk to the Westin. Also happens to be where the excellent New England Lobster restaurant is located.
SurlyJoe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.