Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA PLAT, AmEx Plat
wow.. this thread has not been updated in a while..
i have been staying in Westin St Francis and the Palace over the last 2 months..
Trying Market street Westin next week, yet to try the others..
Overall i think i like St Francis better, aside from breakfast amenity and location (proximity to Bart).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
need some advise here about an upcoming san francisco trip....have a family wedding to attend in el cerrito so mrs. keyser & i were earlier thinking of staying at the four points bay bridge property since it seems to be the closest starwood to where we need to be....but since this is mrs. keyser's first trip to san francisco, i thought we would be better off staying in one of the better properties....

its going to be a 5 night stay & i was thinking of using points....my options therefore are:

westin st. francis for 50k points....
palace hotel for 50k points....
sheraton fisherman's wharf for 50k points....
w san francisco for either 50k points or $550 + 30k points (only property with c&p available)....

the le méridien does not have award availability for my dates & i don't want to spend 80k points at the st. regis....

i'm leaning towards either the westin or using the c&p rate at the w....would love to hear some suggestions....
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:37 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Keyser
need some advise here about an upcoming san francisco trip....have a family wedding to attend in el cerrito so mrs. keyser & i were earlier thinking of staying at the four points bay bridge property since it seems to be the closest starwood to where we need to be....but since this is mrs. keyser's first trip to san francisco, i thought we would be better off staying in one of the better properties....

its going to be a 5 night stay & i was thinking of using points....my options therefore are:

w san francisco for either 50k points or $550 + 30k points (only property with c&p available)....

the le méridien does not have award availability for my dates & i don't want to spend 80k points at the st. regis....

i'm leaning towards either the westin or using the c&p rate at the w....would love to hear some suggestions....
Having stayed at all of the properties except Fisherman's Wharf...

Westin St. Francis - Okay if you are in the new tower. The old tower is repainted, but not soundproof, and there is almost always some sort of protest going on in the streets outside of the hotel, so prolly best to avoid. Also, parking is a fortune here, so park in the car park in Union Square to save a bundle.

Palace Hotel - This was so forgettable that I almost don't remember staying here. It is basically a nicer version of the old tower at Westin St. Francis, but the furniture and decor are still dated and tired.

W SF - This is prolly my favourite property. Rooms are modern and fresh. W-style, but Asian-inspired to reflect the tremendous Chinese population of SF. They recently remodelled their lobby/bar/restaurant area. Much more spacious than before. The breakfast amenity is worth it (there is an upgrade charge from continental to full), but I recommend eating outside of the hotel. Try a place called "The Grove" on Fillmore. Also, take Mrs. Keyser for dinner at "Slanted Door," which is at the ferry terminal building in Embarcadero (a brisk walk from the hotel). If you do not rent a hybrid, then parking is a fortune at this property, so park nearby at the Moscone Centre, which is a block or two down the street. As an SPG Plat from outside the US, you should have a better upgrade experience than US Plats here. Also, if you plan to stay here, the Bay Bridge is close by, but count on traffic during rush hour when going to El Cerrito.

LM SF - You are not missing much by not booking here. Service leaves little to be desired.

Westin Market Street - I am told by others on the board that this is a hotspot for bed bugs. During my SF bed bug nightmare, I was safe here. Avoid the 4PTS SFO at all costs.

Four Points SF Bay Bridge (Emeryville) - This is located in the Entertainment/Hi-tech hub of East Bay. You are within close proximity to several shopping centres, a movie theatre, and of course - Berkeley/El Cerrito. It is a typical Four Points experience pre-brand refresh. Clean and safe. Easy access to the city and all points East Bay. The BART is kind of a hike if you do not intend on renting a car.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by uxb
W SF - This is prolly my favourite property. Rooms are modern and fresh. W-style, but Asian-inspired to reflect the tremendous Chinese population of SF. They recently remodelled their lobby/bar/restaurant area. Much more spacious than before. The breakfast amenity is worth it (there is an upgrade charge from continental to full), but I recommend eating outside of the hotel. Try a place called "The Grove" on Fillmore. Also, take Mrs. Keyser for dinner at "Slanted Door," which is at the ferry terminal building in Embarcadero (a brisk walk from the hotel). If you do not rent a hybrid, then parking is a fortune at this property, so park nearby at the Moscone Centre, which is a block or two down the street. As an SPG Plat from outside the US, you should have a better upgrade experience than US Plats here. Also, if you plan to stay here, the Bay Bridge is close by, but count on traffic during rush hour when going to El Cerrito.

Four Points SF Bay Bridge (Emeryville) - This is located in the Entertainment/Hi-tech hub of East Bay. You are within close proximity to several shopping centres, a movie theatre, and of course - Berkeley/El Cerrito. It is a typical Four Points experience pre-brand refresh. Clean and safe. Easy access to the city and all points East Bay. The BART is kind of a hike if you do not intend on renting a car.
thanks for the info....i'm leaning towards the w....also using suite night certificates so hopefully i should get a nice room....have a cousin who stays near embarcadero so she would pick us up everyday when we are heading over to el cerrito so i probably won't rent a car unless i decide to stay at the four points bay bridge....
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:19 am
uxb

thanks for the info....i'm leaning towards the w....also using suite night certificates so hopefully i should get a nice room....have a cousin who stays near embarcadero so she would pick us up everyday when we are heading over to el cerrito so i probably won't rent a car unless i decide to stay at the four points bay bridge....
Ok. Just making sure you know what you are in for.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Ok. Just making sure you know what you are in for.
thanks....i've been to sfo many times over the last 4-5 years but have only stayed at the hgi oakland/bay bridge as my clients would put me up there....this would be the first time in a long time that i won't be there for work....
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:59 am
uxb

thanks....i've been to sfo many times over the last 4-5 years but have only stayed at the hgi oakland/bay bridge as my clients would put me up there....this would be the first time in a long time that i won't be there for work....
Ahh, so you know the ins and outs of Emeryville.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Ahh, so you know the ins and outs of Emeryville.
pretty much....
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I'm trying to move more nights over to Starwood this year, to hopefully hit 75 or even 100 nights. I spend a lot of time in San Francisco and have stayed in most of the Starwood properties over the winter. Now I am having trouble finding rates anywhere close to my company negotiated corporate rates I get at competitors (Marriott, Intercontinental) over the summer.
I've checked out some well known corporate codes but they don't really come close, plus I don't want to book rates I'm ineligible for. There don't seem to be many opportunities for BRG's either.
Does Starwood just have a different pricing strategy where they keep prices consistently higher, or am I missing the point entirely?

Last edited by escapefromphl; Apr 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm trying to move more nights over to Starwood this year, to hopefully hit 75 or even 100 nights. I spend a lot of time in San Francisco and have stayed in most of the Starwood properties over the winter. Now I am having trouble finding rates anywhere close to my company negotiated corporate rates I get at competitors (Marriott, Intercontinental) over the summer.
I've checked out some well known corporate codes but they don't really come close, plus I don't want to book rates I'm ineligible for. There don't seem to be many opportunities for BRG's either.
Does Starwood just have a different pricing strategy where they keep prices consistently higher, or am I missing the point entirely?
when are you looking to stay????i have noticed that booking closer to your stay date in places like ny & sfo normally tends to get you a better rate....
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:32 am

Westin St. Frances : Great Location and very good service. I stayed there 3 times first time got upgraded to a nice room at the new tower, second time got upgrade to a very nice large suite at the new tower ( high floor, Union Sq. view) and third time I got Upgraded to their presidential suite ( the one Queen Elizabeth stayed at).

Palace- Old- Very old. there are better option in San Francisco so I don't stay there.

Westin Market St. : never stayed there so no comments

W San Fran: stayed once, good location but I won't be back. I can't stand their attitude. not a family friendly hotel. I won't go there with wife and kids as you will probably see some disturbing guest behaviour when passing by the lobby ( especially at night ).

St. Regis: great location, top service and excellent Platinum recognition.

when I go to San Fran I stay at either the Westin St. Francis or the St. Regis

Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
Westin St. Frances : Great Location and very good service. I stayed there 3 times first time got upgraded to a nice room at the new tower, second time got upgrade to a very nice large suite at the new tower ( high floor, Union Sq. view) and third time I got Upgraded to their presidential suite ( the one Queen Elizabeth stayed at).

Palace- Old- Very old. there are better option in San Francisco so I don't stay there.

Westin Market St. : never stayed there so no comments

W San Fran: stayed once, good location but I won't be back. I can't stand their attitude. not a family friendly hotel. I won't go there with wife and kids as you will probably see some disturbing guest behaviour when passing by the lobby ( especially at night ).

St. Regis: great location, top service and excellent Platinum recognition.

when I go to San Fran I stay at either the Westin St. Francis or the St. Regis
thanks....i was initially considering the w but now since i can use 35% off a 5 day reward, thanks to the plat re-qualification gift, i would need only 52k points for the st. regis....that seems like too good a deal to pass up....
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
when are you looking to stay????i have noticed that booking closer to your stay date in places like ny & sfo normally tends to get you a better rate....
Usually do a 2 to 4 night stay during the week, sometimes Sunday night as well. Was looking middle of May, last week of May, middle of June & last 2 weeks in July. I've stayed in both the Westin's, the W, and Le Meridien, they are all fine. I'm sure the Palace would work too. Sheraton in Fisherman's wharf is a bit out of the way.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
no lounges

Seems clear none of the in-town locations have concierge lounges with breakfast offerings. The breakfast packages I'm seeing for May are A LOT more money. So, if the choices are Market St., Palace, or LM or just possibly St. Francis, do any have great local options for full, hot breakfast both weekend days, within a block or so -- seems the famous Sears closed a few years ago but correct me if I'm wrong on that...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by time2go1st
seems the famous Sears closed a few years ago but correct me if I'm wrong on that...
Consider yourself corrected: http://searsfinefood.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.