Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Awesome, that makes my day, thanks! Not only should such hallowed institutions NEVER go out of business, they are the heart of what makes a city; but in addition, knowing it's still there also raises the appeal of the St. Francis just down the block, a couple of notches at least!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
We just burned some points and SNAs at the St. Regis for a long weekend and couldn't have been happier. Excellent recognition of SPG status and facility/staff/food was top notch. Easily one of the best stays we've had at an SPG property.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:25 pm

Okay, so we have the St.F covered for hot breakfast a block away, but what about the others; I'd assume both Palace and Market St. have enuff happening in their immediate radius to present good options, slightly more concerned about LM in its somewhat quieter/more isolated locale, especially on weekends when the whole hood is likely to be shuttered. Don't really mind the absence of a hot lounge breakfast -- altho it can be a lovely perk, as in some of the European properties -- but just want that fuel to launch a full day that may include lots of activities, and would greatly prefer a local option to a very over-priced hotel dining room. Help me out here, it factors into the choice of hotel believe me...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:15 pm

Westin Market Street is my favorite for the balance of quality, location (2 minute walk to all SF buses via Market St. and the BART Montgomery stop), and price. I'm sure the St. Regis is fancier, but very few people can afford it on a regular basis. And if you're only in SF for a touristy visit, how much time do you plan to spend in your hotel room? I would recommend Westin Market Street. They have a very good breakfast lounge if you're a breakfast fan. However I only had it on weekdays as a platinum with free breakfast coupons. I don't know if it's available on weekends. I would call and ask if you're concerned about it. However, SF has so many restaurants that you're probably better off going somewhere if you want a big breakfast experience. Personally I would eat a light breakfast and just get my day going, then worry about lunch/dinner later.

Le Meridien lobby is still under renovation. I only stayed there once, and it is a bit more out of the way. Room was very nice.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
thanks....i was initially considering the w but now since i can use 35% off a 5 day reward, thanks to the plat re-qualification gift, i would need only 52k points for the st. regis....that seems like too good a deal to pass up....
so now the website won't let me book 5 consecutive days at the st. regis in june, even though there seems to be standard room availability for all days....have asked my ambassador to look into it....
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball

Le Meridien lobby is still under renovation. I only stayed there once, and it is a bit more out of the way. Room was very nice.
I kind of like that the LM is a little bit out of the way from all the super touristy stuff around Union Square and Market St. Easy walk into North Beach for tons of restaurants/bars.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Westin Market Street is my favorite for the balance of quality, location (2 minute walk to all SF buses via Market St. and the BART Montgomery stop), and price. I would recommend Westin Market Street. They have a very good breakfast lounge if you're a breakfast fan. However I only had it on weekdays as a platinum with free breakfast coupons. I don't know if it's available on weekends. I would call and ask if you're concerned about it.
Thank you for that. Their page makes no mention of the breakfast offer, and as a lowly Gold I probably wouldn't get it anyway. However we'll see what they have to say when I phone; the hotel itself and location are plenty fine for me, and yes it is a weekend "retreat" from SoCal; just been way too long since I was there last to know what the local breakfast options in their immediate vicinity might be...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:38 pm

Anybody stayed at the Aloft SFO? I have a great rate there--$100.00/night on the days where all the hotels downtown are over 400 USD (yes a convention going on) methinks taking the shuttle or taxi up and down will be much more economical than the higher prices.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VPescado
Consider yourself corrected: http://searsfinefood.com/
It did close (tax problems and such) and reopened (I believe under different ownership).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
I stayed in the W recently and enjoyed my stay there. For your platinum breakfast amenity they give you $15 per person for use in their restaurant, which is excellent.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ac777
Anybody stayed at the Aloft SFO? I have a great rate there--$100.00/night on the days where all the hotels downtown are over 400 USD (yes a convention going on) methinks taking the shuttle or taxi up and down will be much more economical than the higher prices.
Yes, I've stayed there. Its not bad at all and just went through a very significant refurbishment (I think it was the Clarion hotel prior). They have an airport shuttle, so you could take that to SFO and then take the BART to downtown to get to your convention. That will likely be a 45 minute commute each way.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by omegadeal
Yes, I've stayed there. Its not bad at all and just went through a very significant refurbishment (I think it was the Clarion hotel prior). They have an airport shuttle, so you could take that to SFO and then take the BART to downtown to get to your convention. That will likely be a 45 minute commute each way.
Thanks a lot. This helps very much.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by omegadeal
You can also easily walk from the Aloft to the Milbrae BART/Caltrain station. Avoid the SFO BART surcharge that way too.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:12 am

Which SPG Hotel has the best location for a family with some older teenagers ??
Not looking for amenities or upgrades...... just a location that has interesting stuff/restaurants/sports bars within easy walking distance.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ezron
Which SPG Hotel has the best location for a family with some older teenagers ??
Not looking for amenities or upgrades...... just a location that has interesting stuff/restaurants/sports bars within easy walking distance.
Are they actually interested sports bars? Or do they want to hang out in the Haight/Ashbury (former hippie district, with some lingering "reek" of marijuana and eyeburn of tiedye)? Just asking. I don't know many teenagers , but the ones I know are interested in this bit of San Francisco history.

For you, as a concerned parent, it's as safe as anything in the city.

If the Haight is of interest, I think the Westin St. Francis would be closest by a few blocks. It's a manageable walk (for a teenager), though you do walk through the projects.

If they're more "high tea" than "High Times", the Palace is great; they won't have to leave the property

If they want gaudy tourism, the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf is your place.

If you're giving them your Platinum Amex, the St. Francis.

If you're sending them clubbing at/after midnight, the W works, as does the St. Regis.

If they want to hang out at the (former) Pacific Stock exchange and Federal Reserve, the Le Meridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.