Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:35 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
For you, as a concerned parent, it's as safe as anything in the city.

If the Haight is of interest, I think the Westin St. Francis would be closest by a few blocks. It's a manageable walk (for a teenager), though you do walk through the projects.

If they're more "high tea" than "High Times", the Palace is great; they won't have to leave the property

If they want gaudy tourism, the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf is your place.

If you're giving them your Platinum Amex, the St. Francis.

If you're sending them clubbing at/after midnight, the W works, as does the St. Regis.

If they want to hang out at the (former) Pacific Stock exchange and Federal Reserve, the Le Meridien.
:-::-::-::-::-:
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior

If they want to hang out at the (former) Pacific Stock exchange and Federal Reserve, the Le Meridien.
Great summary overall, just wanted to add a vote for the Le Meridien's location-- easiest walking distance to north beach, and the ferry building and much of the Embarcadero area. A lot of stuff for a family of all ages to enjoy
Old May 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
I try to decide on which property to choose in San Fransisco. St Regis is out of my budget so that is easy. I am not interested in staying at Fishermans Warf. As far as I understand I can use the gym at all properties in the city center free of charge. Does all the properties have 24 h access to their gyms?

Regarding Platinum breakfast at the different properties is this true:
At The Palace I will get full breakfast?
At Westin in Market Street I will get continental and can pay 7 dollars to get the full breakfast?
At Le Meridien I will get a glass of juice and a bagel?
W will give me 15 dollars to order from the menu. (Guess no Ws in the US have a buffe)?
Westin St. Francis offers?

Regarding nice upgrade; I guess Le Meridien most likely will give the best upgrade?
Old May 7, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by Chriscross
Regarding Platinum breakfast at the different properties is this true:
At The Palace I will get full breakfast?
At Westin in Market Street I will get continental and can pay 7 dollars to get the full breakfast?
At Le Meridien I will get a glass of juice and a bagel?
W will give me 15 dollars to order from the menu. (Guess no Ws in the US have a buffe)?
Westin St. Francis offers?

Regarding nice upgrade; I guess Le Meridien most likely will give the best upgrade?
The palace gives the full buffet - and it's amazing. Probably the best hotel breakfast buffet I've ever been to (not that I go to a lot of buffets, but...)

The Westin St. Francis gives you two options - you can either take a $15 discount on the $30 buffet in the restaurant or you can choose 3 items from the cafe in the lobby (which serves pastries, yogurt, coffee, etc.).

Don't expect complimentary upgrades at either of these properties (at least to anything recognizable as an upgrade). In dozens of trips to the St. Francis I'm occasionally on a higher floor with a better view, but the room is about the same.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by azeckel
Don't expect complimentary upgrades at either of these properties (at least to anything recognizable as an upgrade). In dozens of trips to the St. Francis I'm occasionally on a higher floor with a better view, but the room is about the same.
Upgrades do happen, though. I'm the Palace now, and I was upgraded from a "Superior" (standard) room to a "Grand Deluxe" (very large) room. On a previous stay, I was upgraded to a suite.

But you're right: never firmly count on an upgrade.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm just about to re-qualify for plat so will have use of the 35% off redemption gift....i currently have a booking at the westin st. francis for 5 nights using 48k points....unfortunately there is no more availability at st. francis so i cannot use the 35% off award to make another booking....the only other property that has availability is the westin market street....so i can get a 5 night reservation here for 31.2k points....

is it worth shifting to market street to save 16.8k points or should i just stick to my original reservation????
Old May 30, 2013, 3:42 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm just about to re-qualify for plat so will have use of the 35% off redemption gift....i currently have a booking at the westin st. francis for 5 nights using 48k points....unfortunately there is no more availability at st. francis so i cannot use the 35% off award to make another booking....the only other property that has availability is the westin market street....so i can get a 5 night reservation here for 31.2k points....

is it worth shifting to market street to save 16.8k points or should i just stick to my original reservation????
I haven't stayed at Westin Market St but St Francis would be at the end of the list for SFO city properties, for me.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines

I would definitely switch... truth is, even if the points were equal, I would rather stay at Westin SF... Union Sq is nice for walking around, not for staying in. And with Westin Market St., you are closer to the ferry building and some great restaurants along the embarcadero (chaya, boulevard and waterbar are 3 of my faves).
Old May 30, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
I haven't stayed at Westin Market St but St Francis would be at the end of the list for SFO city properties, for me.
how come????
Old May 30, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
how come????
First off, the property is tacky. Second, its location is filled with tourists which makes simply getting in the hotel a pain. Third, they don't treat elites very well.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
First off, the property is tacky. Second, its location is filled with tourists which makes simply getting in the hotel a pain. Third, they don't treat elites very well.
3 very valid reasons....will consider the change to market street....
Old May 30, 2013, 7:44 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Tacky? I think the word you are looking for is classic as opposed to over-the-top yuppie nuevue-rich fake opulence.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by stc
Tacky? I think the word you are looking for is classic as opposed to over-the-top yuppie nuevue-rich fake opulence.
No... the word I was looking for was TACKY. The Palace is classic... the Westin St. Francis is not.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:20 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
No... the word I was looking for was TACKY. The Palace is classic... the Westin St. Francis is not.
Each to their own, I'd call the Palace "run down".

Last edited by stc; May 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old May 30, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club

I have stayed at both properties, St Francis and Westin at Market Street, multiple times. I prefer the Westin on Market street for the simple reason it is updated with a more modern look. The staff are very good and the location is good and close to all downtown areas.

The St Francis is an older Hotel. Original building is 1906 ish and it shows. It is a 4 Star Hotel and I was told by management there, after a complaint and casual conversation, it can never be labeled a 5 star. The "Tower" building was built in 1970 and unless you are on the top three floors, all the other room s are showing their age. If you are unfortunate to be in the original building, expect a small room and single pane windows. Three sides of the building are facing the street so expect loud noises from either the garbage truck at 3 in the morning or the guy banging his plastic drums until 10. I will never stay at this Hotel again.

I would recommend Westin on Market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.