Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
FP San Rafael or SF Bay Bridge (Emeryville)

Early April I'll be in the area for work for 4 nights and will be hotel-hopping (mainly to take advantage of some excellent BRG rates at the Palace).

On one of the nights, rates everywhere are astronomical. The exceptions are FP San Rafael (FPSR) at $174 and FP SF Bay Bridge (FPSFBB) at $204. Which one should I pick? I have a 9:00AM meeting in Oakland, and while I am aware the FPSBB is more conveniently located, it looks as if it's located in a somewhat industrial area whereas the FPSR looks newer and has a nicer vicinity. I don't mind setting off 20 minutes earlier for my meeting if it means staying in a far nicer area/property.

Anyone stayed at both and can comment? Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by RafKa
Early April I'll be in the area for work for 4 nights and will be hotel-hopping (mainly to take advantage of some excellent BRG rates at the Palace).

On one of the nights, rates everywhere are astronomical. The exceptions are FP San Rafael (FPSR) at $174 and FP SF Bay Bridge (FPSFBB) at $204. Which one should I pick? I have a 9:00AM meeting in Oakland, and while I am aware the FPSBB is more conveniently located, it looks as if it's located in a somewhat industrial area whereas the FPSR looks newer and has a nicer vicinity. I don't mind setting off 20 minutes earlier for my meeting if it means staying in a far nicer area/property.

Anyone stayed at both and can comment? Thanks.
I haven't stayed there but the Bay Bridge property is not in such a bad location. There are industrial areas in the vicinity, but the immediate area around the hotel is mostly retail and is close to a BART station, which could be handy for getting to your meeting as traffic around Oakland in morning rush hour can be terrible (due to people trying to get to the Bay Bridge).

San Rafael is very far out of the way for your purposes and would probably require much more than an extra 20 minutes in AM rush hour traffic. I'd recommend looking at other non-SPG properties before considering staying there, no matter how strong your SPG loyalties.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bgriff
I haven't stayed there but the Bay Bridge property is not in such a bad location. There are industrial areas in the vicinity, but the immediate area around the hotel is mostly retail and is close to a BART station, which could be handy for getting to your meeting as traffic around Oakland in morning rush hour can be terrible (due to people trying to get to the Bay Bridge).

San Rafael is very far out of the way for your purposes and would probably require much more than an extra 20 minutes in AM rush hour traffic. I'd recommend looking at other non-SPG properties before considering staying there, no matter how strong your SPG loyalties.
The Emeryville property (Bay Bridge) is your only reasonable option. It is a short drive to Oakland, you don't even have to get on the freeway. A very short walk from the hotel there's Bay Street, an open air mall with a theater complex and several better casual dining options, and there's Powell St. Plaza which has a Trader Joe's and Starbucks.

The I-80 corridor has some of the worst traffic in the state, and you'll be caught up in it from San Rafael. All that said, the SR property is in a very nice setting and has a country escape sort of feel.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff
I haven't stayed there but the Bay Bridge property is not in such a bad location. There are industrial areas in the vicinity, but the immediate area around the hotel is mostly retail.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The Emeryville property (Bay Bridge) is your only reasonable option.
I guess that settles it - thanks for the help!

Last edited by RafKa; Feb 26, 2016 at 11:04 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:42 pm

With the Westin Union Square and Park Central having moved from cat 5 to cat 6, leisure travelers are being priced out of SPG properties in SF. Sad. Even business travelers will probably be forced by many companies to stay at other brands due to their lower rates.

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf remaining in category 5 is little solace, as the location is not convenient for anyone besides Wharf tourists.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The Emeryville property (Bay Bridge) is your only reasonable option.
And there's also the Emery-Go-Round to access to MacArthur BART.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'll be in San Francisco for 2 nights arriving in the evening on the 1st night from SJC airport around the end of January. Any recommendations? Between the W San Francisco and The Palace Hotel, I'm leaning towards the later.

Last edited by lcpteck; Nov 13, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
The Emeryville property (Bay Bridge) is your only reasonable option. It is a short drive to Oakland, you don't even have to get on the freeway. A very short walk from the hotel there's Bay Street, an open air mall with a theater complex and several better casual dining options, and there's Powell St. Plaza which has a Trader Joe's and Starbucks.

The I-80 corridor has some of the worst traffic in the state, and you'll be caught up in it from San Rafael. All that said, the SR property is in a very nice setting and has a country escape sort of feel.
I used to live in Emeryville. Even in rush hour, you can easily get to Oakland as long as you stay off the freeway.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I'll be in San Francisco for 2 nights arriving in the evening on the 1st night from SJC airport around the end of January. Any recommendations? Between the W San Francisco and The Palace Hotel, I'm leaning towards the later.
I prefer the Palace, especially as a platinum. The rooms are really nice after the recent renovations. The rooms at the W feel a bit worn and dated.

The breakfast at the Palace is amazing, one of my favorite SPG breakfasts worldwide. The (free platinum) breakfast at the W is OK, but more of a "order a cheap item off the menu".
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I prefer the Palace, especially as a platinum. The rooms are really nice after the recent renovations. The rooms at the W feel a bit worn and dated.

The breakfast at the Palace is amazing, one of my favorite SPG breakfasts worldwide. The (free platinum) breakfast at the W is OK, but more of a "order a cheap item off the menu".
Thanks for the info.

I notice there's also either a $7-9 upgrade to breakfast buffet as well if needed. If so, that means I can skip lunch and just spend on dinner.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Thanks for the info.

I notice there's also either a $7-9 upgrade to breakfast buffet as well if needed. If so, that means I can skip lunch and just spend on dinner.
IME, The Palace tends not to charge the upgrade fee if you're by yourself. If you like a hot breakfast, the $7-9 is well worth it.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
IME, The Palace tends not to charge the upgrade fee if you're by yourself. If you like a hot breakfast, the $7-9 is well worth it.
Okay, will see what happens.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I have an upcoming mini trip to San Francisco and am trying to decide where to stay. Of the SPG options in town I've only tried the Palace and the W - which I both enjoyed. The dates I'm going in addition to the aforementioned the LM, Park Central and San Francisco Proper seem to be within budget (St Regis is not and Westin St Francis only through expensive BRG). I am looking at staying at two different properties. Ideally I'd like a property that has a decent bar (something along the W) or within close reach of more bars. Many thanks for your input ^
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by remymartin
I have an upcoming mini trip to San Francisco and am trying to decide where to stay. Of the SPG options in town I've only tried the Palace and the W - which I both enjoyed. The dates I'm going in addition to the aforementioned the LM, Park Central and San Francisco Proper seem to be within budget (St Regis is not and Westin St Francis only through expensive BRG). I am looking at staying at two different properties. Ideally I'd like a property that has a decent bar (something along the W) or within close reach of more bars. Many thanks for your input ^
Unless you're going to be going to offices near there, IMO the LM is a bit out of the way, and that area is especially dead on the weekends.

The W and the Palace are both clearly better than the PC IMO. So unless the PC is much cheaper (and watch out for its scammy "resort fee" in addition to the rate when doing the comparison, though I think some of the others might have started charging a similar thing by now), I'd stick with what you know. Both the W and Palace are reasonably solid and as you know offer very different styles so it's a matter of preference from that point.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by remymartin
The dates I'm going in addition to the aforementioned the LM, Park Central and San Francisco Proper seem to be within budget (St Regis is not and Westin St Francis only through expensive BRG). I am looking at staying at two different properties. Ideally I'd like a property that has a decent bar (something along the W) or within close reach of more bars.
The Proper I would take off the list, it is in an unpleasant area (mid-Market) with lots of homeless. Le Meridien is in the Financial District. It's close to Ferry Plaza which has quite a few bars and restaurants, but the immediate area is quiet on the weekends. LM is very good with upgrades. If you want a lively bar at your hotel, W and Palace are the two best bets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.