Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by greener_007
What's the consensus on value vs. 'wow' factor?, etc.
My recommendation is to spend as little time as possible in whatever hotel you choose. San Francisco is far too interesting to spend unnecessary time in a hotel room!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My recommendation is to spend as little time as possible in whatever hotel you choose. San Francisco is far too interesting to spend unnecessary time in a hotel room!
+1. Though I like the Westin on Market.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Meridien has a really comprehensively equipped and modern gym as I recall, I think I managed to do my full gym programme. I cannot speak for the other properties.
Thank you. This helps.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
I'm researching Presidents Day, too. I can get basically the same rate at every SPG property except the W and the St. Regis. The W is about 50% more and the StR is about double the price. I'm leaning toward Le Méridien. Some friends have suggested the Embarcadero for my tourist pursuits. I'd be interested in the historic Palace and St. Francis properties, but it sounds like upgraded rooms are important there (and I won't get one as a Gold).

Outside SPG, the new IC looks good, but I'm not sure about the SoMA location (even if the StR and W are there, too).

Hello,

I'm planning a quick trip to San Francisco for the Presidents Day Weekend. In the past, I've stuck to Joire de Vie hotels, but now that I'm vested in the SPG program, I'd like to stick with starwood properties in the city (not the airport).

What are everyone's thoughts on the properties? I'm potentially interested in all of them (except St. Regis - not willing to break the bank!), but would like to get the insider info on the particular properties. For example,

Which Westin? Market St or Union Square...

Which is the better 'boutique hotel', the Le Meridian or W SOMA...

Any point in staying at the Sheraton near the wharf?

I appreciate the thoughts!

Last edited by HLS2002; Jan 19, 2011 at 9:28 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HLS2002
Outside SPG, the new IC looks good, but I'm not sure about the SoMA location (even if the StR and W are there, too).
The new IC is my favorite hotel in San Francisco. Location is not bad, and there are always taxis around also. You may want to check out the IC Ambassador program as with a buy one get one free it is possible to save the cost of the membership on a stay here. The other alternative is that I have found this IC available with DL miles at a really great combo offer (IIRC 18K DL miles per night) when the hotel is selling >$300 per night.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:44 am

I'm researching Presidents Day, too. I can get basically the same rate at every SPG property except the W and the St. Regis. The W is about 50% more and the StR is about double the price. I'm leaning toward Le Méridien. Some friends have suggested the Embarcadero for my tourist pursuits. I'd be interested in the historic Palace and St. Francis properties, but it sounds like upgraded rooms are important there (and I won't get one as a Gold).

While not super far, I find the Le Meridien area is a little dead/away from happening things if you like to be out at night time, though that may be exactly what you are looking for. It is closer to the Embarcadero than the St. Francis & the Palace though if distance is important to you. Personally the walk didn't bother me. Then again, I walked from the Westin Market to Sausalito without hesitation a couple of trips ago so my perception of distance...

I did recently stay at the Westin on Market and though I did not get a suite upgrade (I'm a Gold too) they did give me a premier room on the SPG floor with a cool southern view of the city.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Thanks a lot, TRAVELSIG and illico. I'll have to think more on this. I do have an IC BOGO, so that might make the difference for me. On my urban vacations, I typically walk 15+ miles a day, so the location issue for me is only about safety, not convenience.

Last edited by HLS2002; Jan 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm Reason: corrected walking hyperbole
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot, TRAVELSIG and illico. I'll have to think more on this. I do have an IC BOGO, so that might make the difference for me. On my urban vacations, I typically walk 30+ miles a day, so the location issue for me is only about safety, not convenience.
Fortunately, I have never felt the slightest bit unsafe at this hotel. The Moscone Center area is not nearly as desolate as it used to be. Also a Cab to Embarcadero was ~$10.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

I typically walk 30+ miles a day
30+ miles per day? That seems like a lot. I live in Manhattan and do a ton of walking...but over 30 miles per day seems a bit high.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks a lot, TRAVELSIG and illico. I'll have to think more on this. I do have an IC BOGO, so that might make the difference for me. On my urban vacations, I typically walk 30+ miles a day, so the location issue for me is only about safety, not convenience.
Fortunately, I have never felt the slightest bit unsafe at this hotel. The Moscone Center area is not nearly as desolate as it used to be. Also a Cab to Embarcadero was ~$10.
I would agree. I didn't feel unsafe in that area either. I just felt Le Meridien was a little further away (but not much) from the livelier parts of SF than the St. Francis, Palace, W, Westin Market...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Hello,

I'm planning a quick trip to San Francisco for the Presidents Day Weekend. In the past, I've stuck to Joire de Vie hotels, but now that I'm vested in the SPG program, I'd like to stick with starwood properties in the city (not the airport).

What are everyone's thoughts on the properties? I'm potentially interested in all of them (except St. Regis - not willing to break the bank!), but would like to get the insider info on the particular properties. For example,

Which Westin? Market St or Union Square...

Which is the better 'boutique hotel', the Le Meridian or W SOMA...

Any point in staying at the Sheraton near the wharf?

I appreciate the thoughts!
Don't recomend the Sheraton near the wharf. Didn't enjoy my stay and won't be going back
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:22 pm

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
As always your mileage may vary, but I had a deplorable experience at the Palace and never intend to return. My personal favorite is Le Meridien, and while it's very quiet over weekends in the Financial District, it's still a quick walk to the Ferry Building and China Town etc.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: Free Agent
Does anybody know which SPG property is closest to UC San Francisco? My dad is having surgery there next month, and I'll probably need to book a hotel in the city to avoid taking BART back and forth from the East Bay.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Condition One
Does anybody know which SPG property is closest to UC San Francisco? My dad is having surgery there next month, and I'll probably need to book a hotel in the city to avoid taking BART back and forth from the East Bay.
I would not say that any of the hotels are "near" UCSF, but my guess is that probably the St. Francis is closest, although the Wharf may be as well. Better chance of getting a bus if you're looking for public transit from around the St. Francis (and a nicer hotel overall than the Sheraton Wharf)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by pagotto
I would not say that any of the hotels are "near" UCSF, but my guess is that probably the St. Francis is closest, although the Wharf may be as well. Better chance of getting a bus if you're looking for public transit from around the St. Francis (and a nicer hotel overall than the Sheraton Wharf)
Ditto. the St. Francis would be the "closest".

But if you are taking the bus to the main med center area (such as Bus #6 Parnassus) then the Westin Market or the Palace might be more convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.