Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
I went to the other pool but they did have a type of pool lounger, basically firm Styrofoam that you could pick up and move anywhere and sit half in and out of the water . They also had beds right next to the water that could be reserved (both can be seen in the pic below, to the bottom right).

Yes, May 1st is supposed to be the next date when most of the restrictions are lifted

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the styrofoam loungers. lol. Ok, so you went to the Bamboo pool. I was curious to see how early the Blvd regular pool loungers (the purple and white ones) went. In my previous travels to the Cosmo, those loungers go pretty quickly. Now that Covid and restrictions are here, I wondered if things go quick a bit later on. Now thinking about it, I guess it would still be early as this was a busy weekend. Any reason why you went to the Bamboo pool instead of Blvd? Was it to get away from the Spring Break crowd?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately this is not possible, I even had a (Cosmo) VP look into it last year when I was considering regaining MR status; the crediting is either all MR or all Identity. But this shouldn't be an issue except in very limited circumstances, since points can be transferred between the programs.
I figured more people here might have run into it - People who stay Marriott for status but might not care about the points so much, like in my case. I'd rather get Identity credit and possibly some comped stays later... but unfortunately I need the nights to squeak by Titanium with Marriott Oh well, such is life. Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Yes, I'm quite familiar with the styrofoam loungers. lol. Ok, so you went to the Bamboo pool. I was curious to see how early the Blvd regular pool loungers (the purple and white ones) went. In my previous travels to the Cosmo, those loungers go pretty quickly. Now that Covid and restrictions are here, I wondered if things go quick a bit later on. Now thinking about it, I guess it would still be early as this was a busy weekend. Any reason why you went to the Bamboo pool instead of Blvd? Was it to get away from the Spring Break crowd?
Actually I double checked and it was the Chelsea pool we went to, because it was located in our tower. We went there because it was the closest, and they had available chairs. After the Mandalay experience, we didn't want to go pool hopping only to find out everything was full already!
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:17 pm

Gotcha! I'm old school Cosmo, so I still call the Chelsea Pool "Bamboo", lol
That's what it was known as when the Cosmo first came on the scene. I think it changed when the Cosmo remodeled the rooms 2-3 years ago.

The Chelsea Tower was just known as the West Tower and the Blvd Tower was known as the East.

What you did definitely made sense. I remember my stay at Mandalay Bay. The beach/pool area was madness. I had a much better time at the Moorea Pool as I was able to find a lounger!

The Chelsea Pool is known as the quieter/calmer pool vs Blvd and Marquee Dayclub
​​​
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
How does it work for Marriott points/credit if paying with Cosmo gift cards?

Lets say I book a room under my Marriott account that's estimated to cost $1,000 taxes/fees included. I purchase $800 in Cosmo gift cards (which I believe can earn Identity points?). When checking out, I tell the desk I'm settling the bill with $800 in gift cards and the balance on my credit card.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by TommyC80
It does not matter, and don’t hold your breath for that upgrade. I’ve spent over 120 nights at Cosmo over 10 years and I was upgraded to a wraparound ONCE, for a one night stay, on a Wednesday.

And the only reason I got that was because I had a back-to-back stay, one night in a terrace studio and the next three in a wraparound. Even then, I probably only got it because I knew the FDC due to my frequency of visits.

Cosmo’s “upgrades” are generally to better views. Sometimes you’ll move up a room category...but, other than that one time, I have never personally received a comp upgrade beyond the Terrace Angle (which I hate and refuse). That’s been true when I’ve been top tier Identity (Platinum) and top tier in Marriott...The old Platinum Premier and Titanium. Next month will be my first stay as Ambassador and I also expect zero in the way of upgrades.

Oh and don’t book a Terrace Suite expecting an upgrade to a Wraparound... it’s not going to happen. Probably 80 of my 120 nights have been in a Terrace Suite and I’ve never been upgraded from that room.
Thanks for sharing. Not Marriott top tier here, but I’m interested in booking via Amex FHR, which indicates an upgrade if available. It sounds like if I want a wraparound, I need to book actually book it, and it sounds like there would be no upgrade possible from that room, other than possibly view.

Therefore, I wonder if Cosmo would prefer that I book direct with them versus through the Amex FHR. I have no identity points or tier right now, so I’d like get on their radar for future stays.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by joe318
Therefore, I wonder if Cosmo would prefer that I book direct with them versus through the Amex FHR. I have no identity points or tier right now, so I’d like get on their radar for future stays.
I'd expect they will be indifferent as to how a standard paid stay is booked--just note trade-offs between FHR (spa credit/guaranteed late check out) and Luminous (F&B or Spa credit/late check out subj. to availability) offers.

As long as your gaming activity is tracked on Identity, they will find you when it's time for comps/targeted offers.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I'd expect they will be indifferent as to how a standard paid stay is booked--just note trade-offs between FHR (spa credit/guaranteed late check out) and Luminous (F&B or Spa credit/late check out subj. to availability) offers.

As long as your gaming activity is tracked on Identity, they will find you when it's time for comps/targeted offers.
got it, thanks. That makes sense. Now I wonder what possible upgrade could come from a booked wraparound terrace suite...probably nothing beyond a fountain view.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
I figured more people here might have run into it - People who stay Marriott for status but might not care about the points so much, like in my case. I'd rather get Identity credit and possibly some comped stays later... but unfortunately I need the nights to squeak by Titanium with Marriott Oh well, such is life. Thanks for the info!
As I mentioned though, remember it's possible to transfer MR to Identity - I've never done it personally, but the FAQ states a rate of 4 Identity points per 10 MRs. At Titanium, I assume you should be earning 17.5 MR (= 7 Identity) per $, so you're actually coming out ahead relative to crediting directly to Identity (5 Identity per $) - although there is a 100k transfer limit per year.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 12, 2021 at 1:22 am
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Room rates at Cosmo are significantly higher than at Bellagio and Aria for last week of April, about $100 higher. This makes the decision of WOH vs MB much easier, even though I won't get WOH elite benefits at MGM properties..
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Room rates at Cosmo are significantly higher than at Bellagio and Aria for last week of April, about $100 higher. This makes the decision of WOH vs MB much easier, even though I won't get WOH elite benefits at MGM properties..

I hear you, but Aria and the Bellagio is no Cosmopolitan lol
CodeAdam10 and camaross like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I hear you, but Aria and the Bellagio is no Cosmopolitan lol
It's a matter of personal taste. Cosmo feels too much like a W to me. That said, I don't think any of the three is worth $100/night more than any other if you're comparing their standard rooms.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by CIT85
I think if you're Explorist or Globalist, you can get an MGM match to a status that gives you lower room rates than are publicly available, which could more than make up the difference of not getting elite benefits.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I think if you're Explorist or Globalist, you can get an MGM match to a status that gives you lower room rates than are publicly available, which could more than make up the difference of not getting elite benefits.
MGM will also do a price match on rooms. If you find a lower price on an OTA, they will match and give an additional 10 percent off. It's nothing crazy, but it's something. I did this with a Vdara room that I booked for my sibling 2 months ago. I have MLife Gold status through the Hyatt status match. As a MLife Gold member, I saw some very good rates on MLife, but I found an OTA that had a cheaper price for the Vdara. I did the price match through email and they responded by the next day. Pretty painless and better than what the Marriott does for BRGs. Marriott makes you jump through hoops!
DallasEsq likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
It's a matter of personal taste. Cosmo feels too much like a W to me. That said, I don't think any of the three is worth $100/night more than any other if you're comparing their standard rooms.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. It's definitely a matter of taste. But with the other poster, I was getting the impression that he/she was interested in the Cosmo but turned off by the price. Even with that, people have to do what is best for them.

I personally like some of the W's, lol! Yes, if you are comparing standard rooms, they are all pretty much the same. I stay in the Terrace studio category and above when I'm at the Cosmo.

I would say the Cosmo and Aria are different than the Bellagio with the energy and vibe for sure. I read that the Bellagio rooms are going under a desperately needed makeover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.