Ottawa Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:10 pm

I agree with desi on this property. The last time I stayed here was in mid-2014 however I have stayed previously here 2-3 times a year for the past 3 years and it is my goto property in Ottawa.

While it's not the most up to date FS, it is more than adequate, and the nightly rate usually reflects that making excellent value for the location. The staff is great there, and the last time I was there on the weekend was given full breakfast in the resto without upcharge as plat.

The concierge floor rooms are generally better (top 3-4 floors) and the views are great of the Parliament Hill buildings and the river.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Yes, I was here last week. All very good and comfortable. Lounge Food is minimum but it's big with excellent views. Being right on Sparks Street means there's plenty of food options if you don't want to eat in
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Any recent reports? Construction noise?

Any recent reports from folks who've stayed at the hotel? I've read recent reports over at Tripadvisor of lots of noisy construction in the area. Anyone experience this? And any sense of which parts of the hotel to request to minimize the noise?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 9/29 - 9/30

Location: The hotel is located in Downtown Ottawa at the intersection of Queen and Kent Streets. For touring Ottawa the hotel is really well located. You're an easy walk to Parliament, ByWard Market, the military museum and a large number of restaurants and bars. The area around the hotel is fairly sleepy on the weekends but there was never an issue getting an Uber. YOW is about 20 minutes away.

Hotel: The hotel is an older, 1970s style hotel with even the closed revolving restaurant on top. There's a large lobby which has a Starbucks and a restaurant and bar. There's also an indoor pool and fitness center. Despite being a large hotel there was never a wait for an elevator.

Check In: We arrived at 12:30 and unfortunately were unable to check in but were able to store our bags. The agents at the front desk were always friend and helpful.

Room: As a Platinum I was upgraded to a corner King. My brother and his wife who are only Gold were not upgraded. The rooms here are not renovated and have old furniture and fixtures and horrendously tiny bathrooms. On the plus side the bed was comfortable, it had outlets near it and the wifi worked well. I also had a balcony I could go out on.

Lounge: I'm happy to report the lounge is open weekends. Weekdays breakfast runs from 6:30 to 9:30 AM and weekends 7:30 AM to 11 AM. Appetizers are Monday to Saturday 5:30 to 7:30 PM. Breakfast featured scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, cold cuts and cheese, breads and cereal. Appetizers had cheese, fruit, crackers and one hot dish. There was no alcohol.

Overall this hotel is pretty decent if a little old. Location wise it works very well.
escape4 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Visiting Ottawa for the first time. We will be there July 4 through 8. Like to stay at a Marriott property. I am gold. Will this be a good property for a tourist? or should I consider other Marriott properties? I read some recent reviews. It seems that the property is still dated and bathrooms are still tiny.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:36 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Visiting Ottawa for the first time. We will be there July 4 through 8. Like to stay at a Marriott property. I am gold. Will this be a good property for a tourist? or should I consider other Marriott properties? I read some recent reviews. It seems that the property is still dated and bathrooms are still tiny.
Downtown Ottawa is quite compact so for all hotels downtown they are all fine, location-wise. I prefer Westin's location and Marriott is a bit out of the way, but it's still only 15 min walk between them, so we are splitting hair.

If you want a Marriott property, I think Sheraton is the best value. Rooms were partially renovated recently and has a good lounge (although as Gold you won't get access). Delta and Marriott are similar, both have a lounge but rooms are aging and small bathrooms, although I have not seen Marriott myself, just relying on reviews and pictures. Delta is usually cheaper so I suspect it's better value than Marriott but cannot be sure. If money is no object then Westin has the best rooms for sure, but often I find the price premium is not worth it. Finally, in my opinion the worst of them all is Courtyard although similar to Marriott, I have never stayed there so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Prices at CY are very high, sometimes 2nd behind Westin despite being the lowest quality brand of them all which is puzzling so I never even bothered to try it. Sometimes CY is more expensive than the Andaz across the street which is absolutely ridiculous.

So if you have money to spend, go with Westin. If you want value, I suggest Sheraton. Avoid CY. Marriott/Delta would be ok.
unclepants and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:11 pm

If you are able to get a corner room with a balcony, those are spacious and have been attractively updated. The bathrooms are small, however. As mentioned upthread, Ottawa is small and easy to navigate on foot. If you have a car, the CY East has free parking and is ~10 minutes from downtown. I have stayed at many Ottawa hotels, as I have family there. The Delta rooms are 70's vintage, even their suites. The Sheraton has been refreshed, the Westin is good, as is the Andaz (but by Hyatt). All, except the CY East, are within walking distance of Parliament Hill and/or Rideau Centre, Byward Market.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:43 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Since @flyme2 is bringing up CY East, just for clarification purposes in my previous post when I said CY I was referring to CY downtown, not to be confused with CY East.

CY East is not my favorite hotel, but at least prices there are not ridiculous like CY downtown. The drawback is that at CY East you are a bit out of the way but if you have a car, yes it can be considered.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
One of the most dismal FS Marriott properties in Canada, by far. Rooms are outdated, rundown and dirty. The Delta across the street is a far better option. Rooms are about the same size, but at least its been fully refreshed, and has a smart TV system with Netflix connection. This s*%thole has a 37 that doesnt even have a guide.

I will say, the staff were friendly and there were no issues in that area at all. They are just burdened with a godawful property.

Overall, Ottawa is a city that should be avoided whenever possible, but if you do get stuck here, avoid this Marriott like the plague...which Ill be lucky if its the only thing I contracted here.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
...Overall, Ottawa is a city that should be avoided whenever possible, but if you do get stuck here, avoid this Marriott like the plague...which Ill be lucky if its the only thing I contracted here...
So why don't you tell us how you really feel. ;-) A bit harsh, but I will agree that the Ottawa hospitality and F&B landscape is not the most stellar. I've stayed at dozens of hotels there over the years and none are what I would deem aspirational. That being said, hotel rates are, for the most part, generally less than their counterparts in the downtown cores of YVR, YYZ and YUL. Both the Marriott and the Delta are 70's vintage buildings with unwieldy infrastructures that were never that great to begin with. The rooms could be readily renovated, and some have been, but the bathrooms and plumbing would require a serious commitment of resources to enlarge and modernize them to today's standard. In my experience, this is the case in many Northeastern hotels built in that era. Bathrooms were designed to be functional and nothing more.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:15 pm

As I said, I dont mind the Delta at all. The infrastructure is what it is, but hotel ownership at the Marriott has made a conscious decision to not invest a dime in the property, and accept standards that are far different than what I am used to from the chain. The property would be a fine Ramada, maybe an acceptable aging Holiday Inn, but its not what I expect from Marriott.

Ottawa is a government town, and that reflects in the scene. There simply isnt the demand for fine dining you see in similar sized cities, partially because there are no expense accounts that will pay for better quality experiences. Its where fun went to die, and parents take children who have greatly disappointed them on summer vacation...

Well, Braydon, we were thinking NYC this summer, but your C- average means we are going to Ottawa so we can see if anything will permeate your dim brain. I told your Mother it was a waste of time, but shes soft, and still thinks you might amount to something. I, on the other hand, am sure that youll be lucky to be accepted as a sandwich artist at Subway
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
One of the most dismal FS Marriott properties in Canada, by far. Rooms are outdated, rundown and dirty. The Delta across the street is a far better option. Rooms are about the same size, but at least its been fully refreshed, and has a smart TV system with Netflix connection. This s*%thole has a 37 that doesnt even have a guide.

I will say, the staff were friendly and there were no issues in that area at all. They are just burdened with a godawful property.

Overall, Ottawa is a city that should be avoided whenever possible, but if you do get stuck here, avoid this Marriott like the plague...which Ill be lucky if its the only thing I contracted here.
I have two kids under 8 and they have never been to Ottawa. Which brands of Marriott families of hotels would be the newest and best to stay at? Price is not a factor but just want a comfortable and prefer newer hotels.

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip
I have two kids under 8 and they have never been to Ottawa. Which brands of Marriott families of hotels would be the newest and best to stay at? Price is not a factor but just want a comfortable and prefer newer hotels.

Thanks
I'd recommend the Westin. It's right in the heart of the Parliament and Byward Market districts, easy walk to most tourist attractions, and is a well kept property, if a touch dated. The phrases "sleek and modern" and "Ottawa" never go in the same sentence. Don't plan for a long stay, not much for smaller kids to do.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:52 am

None of tbe Marriott properties are going to blow you away. As mentioned, the Westin is probably the best of the bunch. The Marriott used to be a Radisson, the Sheraton was previously a Four Seasons converted from an efficiency apartment building. While the remainder aren't really FS, they are newer builds. If you are not married to Marriott, I like the Andaz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.