Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Ditto the Westin. Ask for a view of Parliament.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyme2
None of tbe Marriott properties are going to blow you away. As mentioned, the Westin is probably the best of the bunch. The Marriott used to be a Radisson, the Sheraton was previously a Four Seasons converted from an efficiency apartment building.
The Marriott was a Holiday Inn in 1977, when we stayed there on our honeymoon. Marriott closed the revolving rooftop restaurant - the only thing that made the place stand out. The hotel was a little "tired" even pre-pandemic.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
The Marriott was a Holiday Inn in 1977, when we stayed there on our honeymoon. Marriott closed the revolving rooftop restaurant - the only thing that made the place stand out. The hotel was a little "tired" even pre-pandemic.
Correct.The Ottawa Marriott Hotel[1] (formerly a Holiday Inn, then a Radisson Hotel) is a hotel located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on the north-west corner of the intersection of Queen Street and Kent Street. It was built by Campeau Corporation as part of the second phase of the Place de Ville complex. Upon its construction in 1971, it was the tallest building in Ottawa, but the title was short-lived when the neighboring Tower C was completed in 1972. As of 2013 it was the sixth tallest in Ottawa and eighth in the National Capital Region.
The Radisson then moved a few blocks over to 402 Queen St. and has since disappeared from the Ottawa market. Coincidentally, that property is now a Holiday Inn.
dgreen12 and yyzflyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:32 pm

Book 3 nights and the 3rd will be reimbursed upon check-out

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...1-10-10-a.html
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:01 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by flyme2
None of tbe Marriott properties are going to blow you away. As mentioned, the Westin is probably the best of the bunch. The Marriott used to be a Radisson, the Sheraton was previously a Four Seasons converted from an efficiency apartment building. While the remainder aren't really FS, they are newer builds. If you are not married to Marriott, I like the Andaz.
Westin is the best Marriott if money is no object, but is arguably one of the worst Marriott in Ottawa if you consider what you get vs what you paid for (perhaps second to last, ahead of CY Downtown). The comparison to Andaz is probably the most striking, Andaz >>>>>> Westin in pretty much all regards, yet Andaz is similar price if not cheaper. So if I really needed Bonvoy night credits I would definitely pick Marriott, Sheraton, or Delta, save a bunch and accept that my room will not be "wow" by any stretch of the imagination. But I would not pay for Westin on my own dime, and even less so if being Bonvoy elite because Westin frequently disregards upgrades while Marriott has a lounge and will provide hot breakfast unlike Westin, unless they changed something recently.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by escape4
...I would definitely pick Marriott, Sheraton, or Delta, save a bunch and accept that my room will not be "wow" by any stretch of the imagination. But I would not pay for Westin on my own dime, and even less so if being Bonvoy elite because Westin frequently disregards upgrades while Marriott has a lounge and will provide hot breakfast unlike Westin, unless they changed something recently.
I actually agree with escape4. The Westin, IMHO, has two advantages: It's location at the Rideau Centre and its newer(ish) hard product. Apart from those, its QPR is weakest amongst the bunch. I've stayed at almost all of the Bonvoy properties in Ottawa, in their current and former flags, Back in the day, when Starwood ruled, the Sheraton was my go to Ottawa property due primarily to its Executive Lounge. That is no longer the case, and I will usually stay at either the Marriott or the Delta. I like breakfast at the Marriott's restaurant, but prefer dinner at the Delta's. I prefer the corner rooms with a balcony at the Marriott over any room or suite in either of those two hotels. Suites are usually two regular rooms with the connecting door and bed removed with little or no regard to design. The Executive Lounges at either the Marriott or Delta are both similar, IMHO, and wouldn't really play a role in swaying my decision on where to stay.
yyzflyer and escape4 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:23 am

For those looking for lounge access in Ottawa, be sure to check opening days and available services at those hotels with lounges. Canadian hotels have been slow to recover from reductions and the summer season is slower in Ottawa, providing little incentive to speed up restoration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.