Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lili
They are also not exactly on backorder, but the John Adams coin won't be released until June 28.
To avoid any confusion, the coin you are referring to is the John QUINCY Adams dollar coin. And you are wrong about the release date. The John Quincy Adams dollar coin was originally released on May 15, 2008, so the boxes ARE on back order.

By the way, the John Adams (the father of J.Q. Adams) dollar coin was issued on May 22, 2007.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 15, 2008 at 10:43 am
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:41 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by freakflyer
I just tried it - $4.95 minimum shipping. Not worth it at this point.
I saw that on the site as well, but the $4.95 wasn't added to the total when I got to checkout.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by freakflyer
I just tried it - $4.95 minimum shipping. Not worth it at this point.
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the shipping charge gets dropped at checkout.

Mike
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by DCBob
To avoid any confusion, the coin you are referring to is the John QUINCY Adams dollar coin. And you are wrong about the release date. The John Quincy Adams dollar coin was originally released on May 15, 2008, so the boxes ARE on back order.

By the way, the John Adams (the father of J.Q. Adams) dollar coin was issued on May 22, 2007.
Sorry, thanks for the correction. Always did have a short attention span for American history. Well, European history also, to be accurate.

This is really interesting and tempting somehow, but like [B]cepheid[/B using them would be in place of times I would ordinarily use a more convenient credit card.

But you could pay for whole Costco pizzas at the outside window - they don't take credit cards. Or contributions to the homeless or the guy in the parking lot who just needs money for gas to get home to his family.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is really interesting and tempting somehow, but like cepheid using them would be in place of times I would ordinarily use a more convenient credit card.

But you could pay for whole Costco pizzas at the outside window - they don't take credit cards. Or contributions to the homeless or the guy in the parking lot who just needs money for gas to get home to his family.
I agree that there is no point to buying the coins unless you use them in places where only cash is accepted OR you just really want to encourage the circulation of dollar coins, which is what the U.S. Mint has been directed to do by Congress. This is the same idiotic Congress that won't allow BEP to stop the printing of dollar bills.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
But you could pay for whole Costco pizzas at the outside window - they don't take credit cards.
But you could also just order your whole pizza at the main retail registers and then go pick it up at the window, thereby paying with credit card and saving time. That's what I do...

Or contributions to the homeless or the guy in the parking lot who just needs money for gas to get home to his family.
Somehow, I don't really feel the need to buy $500 in dollar coins to make my questionable charitable donations easier. If this is something one routinely does, I suppose it could be of benefit, but I doubt this would be a huge convenience for most people.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:34 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by cepheid
But you could also just order your whole pizza at the main retail registers and then go pick it up at the window, thereby paying with credit card and saving time. That's what I do...
We were just there for the pizza on our way to visit friends Long-time member, first-time pizza buyer. You should have seen our expressions and fumbling when they asked for cash or check. Mr. lili is oldschool and actually had $23.11 cash.

This thread is amazing me in pointing out how rarely I use cash and how much of an inconvenience it is for me. I think that Mint place may be going out of business soon.

But I still want to buy a box of these coins. Irrational, but appealing. I could bury them in the yard. Or leave them hidden in crazy places in the house for my heirs to find...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I got a $2 Susan B Anthony at the recycling place. Nice recycling.
If you got "a $2 Susan B Anthony", it was counterfeit.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
The original idea was not to spend the coins, but to return them to your bank for a refund, thus earning 250 (or more) frequent flyer miles or other reward points per box, for free.
yes, somehow people are missing the point.

1. get coins on cc
2. take coins to bank and deposit
3. pay cc before incurring interest

if this doesn't work for you, then don't do it.

sam
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:23 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Except that some(most?) banks charge a fee if you bring coins that are more than "loose change" quantity to deposit. I forget how much, but if you bring in rolls and rolls of $1 coins, they have some sort of fee to deposit it. Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself the one time years ago I tried to turn in like just 3-5 rolls of some coin (forgot which). I said "you're charging me money to deposit legal tender US money in your bank?". The woman let me do it "the one time" without a fee. Apparently a lot of coin money isn't "real money" they want to deal with.

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
yes, somehow people are missing the point.

1. get coins on cc
2. take coins to bank and deposit
3. pay cc before incurring interest

if this doesn't work for you, then don't do it.

sam
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ET
Except that some(most?) banks charge a fee if you bring coins that are more than "loose change" quantity to deposit. I forget how much, but if you bring in rolls and rolls of $1 coins, they have some sort of fee to deposit it. Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself the one time years ago I tried to turn in like just 3-5 rolls of some coin (forgot which). I said "you're charging me money to deposit legal tender US money in your bank?". The woman let me do it "the one time" without a fee. Apparently a lot of coin money isn't "real money" they want to deal with.
One way around this is to buy a cheap-o money order. Many places will sell them to you for 25 - 50 cents. Then just deposit the money order at your bank. It would probably be cheaper than paying the fee.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:16 pm

I have a couple of employees who cash their checks thru my cash drawer. Maybe they would like a couple hundred JQA Dollars next time?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:18 pm
Original Member

I think everyone would appreciate it if anyone who actually purchases these coins reports here after your credit card is charged whether or not your card is charged for a purchase or a cash advance. If I am understanding previous comments correctly, cards are not charged until shippment, and the coins are not yet ready for shipment. If this is true, whoever said the coins are charged as a purchase couldn't possibly know this as fact. All credit card terms and conditions that I have read indicate that obtaining cash or cash equivalents via credit card will cause the expense to be charged as an expensive cash advance.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:27 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
If you got "a $2 Susan B Anthony", it was counterfeit.
You're right, but I didn't want to revisit an older OT post to correct my stupidity. It was something weird (to me) and was actually a $2 bill. I'm going to the recycling again tomorrow and will report back.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by pgary
I think everyone would appreciate it if anyone who actually purchases these coins reports here after your credit card is charged whether or not your card is charged for a purchase or a cash advance. If I am understanding previous comments correctly, cards are not charged until shippment, and the coins are not yet ready for shipment. If this is true, whoever said the coins are charged as a purchase couldn't possibly know this as fact. All credit card terms and conditions that I have read indicate that obtaining cash or cash equivalents via credit card will cause the expense to be charged as an expensive cash advance.
The US Mint charges for ALL online orders as a purchase, whether you believe it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.