Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by imasosec
if Carter is alive after the Gerald Ford Dollar is issued in 2016, the program ends and there will be no Ronald Reagan coin.
I do not believe that is true.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chuckd
I placed 3 orders for $500, and they all shipped out today according to the email I just received. Not bad.
Placed an order today too but mine says backordered until 7/3/08...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I placed two orders of $500 each on 6/13. Today I got notices that both orders have shipped, but I have no activity on my credit cards that I used.

Card#1 has zero change relating to this order
Card#2 showed a $500 decrease in available credit a couple days ago, but now shows the original pre-order amount

Very strange.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:03 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by vxmike
I placed two orders of $500 each on 6/13. Today I got notices that both orders have shipped, but I have no activity on my credit cards that I used.
Also placed my order on 6/13, but my order status states that the expected ship date is now 7/4. (It was previously 6/28.)
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I do not believe that is true.
You may be right, but the current release schedule ends at Ford.

My guess is that they will produce a Reagan coin in the end due to political pressure from his insatiable disciples.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
ordered too. thanks op. all that, though, for 500. with amex points that's worth about $12. but hey... free is free.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Awesome idea, thanks OP!

BTW, I keep waiting for that SPG breakfast guy to explain how we can get free buffets for 500 SPG points.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
I also ordered two boxes on 6/13. At the time, they promised a ship date of 6/28. Based on their order-status screen, they shipped the boxes today. Cool!

Also of note, the main page showing the product now says new orders will ship on 6/25. Recently, that prospective ship date was showing as 7/2.

So it looks like they found a stash of these coins somewhere, and are moving the backlogged orders faster than expected. Good job, Federal Government!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Originally Posted by World_Traveler
I ordered two boxes. They took my PO box for delivery address (which is also my billing address) so I'm guessing it will be USPS...it is the government after all...
Ya, the tracking number on the Order Status screen for my just-shipped order shows a USPS tracking number (Parcel Post).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gwarboy
Ya, the tracking number on the Order Status screen for my just-shipped order shows a USPS tracking number (Parcel Post).
Hmmm...I'm starting to feel a bit left out. My order still shows:

2 units backordered. Expected to ship on 07/04/2008.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:42 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by World_Traveler
Hmmm...I'm starting to feel a bit left out. My order still shows:

2 units backordered. Expected to ship on 07/04/2008.
Yeah, me too. I ordered 6/17, showing a ship date of 7/2. Now it says shipping 7/4! And seeing as that's a big holiday and a Friday... I don't expect shipping until 7/7 at the earliest.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Have I missed this? How do they limit you? By name? By credit card? By shipping addy? Just wondering if my wife and I can both order two boxes and have them shipped to the same address.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Orders for merchandise valued at $300 or more with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping.
My $500 order was shipped parcel post, so I guess the policy doesn't apply to the free shipping promo.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I have to ask... how often do people see $1 coins in the U.S? Will there ever be a day when the $1 note is phased out?
I understand there is a lobby with considerable influence that is dead set against losing George Washington as the face of the basic unit of currency for the country.

Interestingly, when I was in Australia last year, there was an airport sign advertising a financial institution, and the person holding currency bills in his hand was holding US $1 bills. Not what I expected to see on the other side of the world, but indicative as to how much the US dollar is considered the standard for currency.

The oversize silver dollars were neat. I remember well the Eisenhower dollar with the Liberty Bell and Moon on the reverse.

Since the 80's, the dollar coin push has been blatantly political.

The Susan B. Anthony, to push a woman on a coin, was a bust mostly because it was hard to distinguish from a quarter--nearly same size, and same color.

Then there was the Sacagawea, trying to squeeze in both a woman and a non-Caucasian person into a coin. At least they made the color different from a quarter, but there is not a free tray/slot in cash register drawers to fit the coin, so stores would typically chuck the coins under the tray, taking them out of circulation. Sort of like what happened to the $2 bill--without room in the tray, it was inconvenient. Though the latter did work out for Barnum & Bailey, I heard, in that after lots of complaints from their home base community in northern Florida about them (due to accusations from animal rights protesters and such), B&B paid their entire payroll one month in cash--all $2 bills. This made a huge impression on that community when they saw the flood of those bills enter their local economy, and they realized how much B&B employees affected them--the rumblings ceased fast.

Now it's presidents.

They should have done the states as dollar coins, and so made that much more profit margin on those. Idiots.

Steve
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by smk220
Also Crane paper company from MA produces all the paper for US bills. Without a one dollar bill they would be producing a LOT less paper, which means less jobs in MA.
The only reason that Crane is making currency paper is because they got a law passed that requires that paper to be manufactured in the United States. There is a Canadian paper company just over the border from them that can supply higher quality paper for lower cost, but can't due to that law. Yet another case of lobbyists getting a law made to favor only a single company.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.