Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by World_Traveler
Yeah, I ordered 6/18 and mine said shipping 7/3 and then 7/4 but now says 7/5 so I'm not expecting it to ship until 7/7 either...
I ordered mine 6/13. When I first ordered, expected shipping date was 6/28. Two days ago it was 7/4. Yesterday it changed to 7/5. Today I see it's 7/6. At this rate the Gerald Ford dollar will be out before I receive my order!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:21 pm
FSU

I have been having some fun spending the coins. Tried to pay for some ice cream at Baskin Robbins today and was told they don't accept foreign money. After I explained that they were American coins the clerk reluctantly took them. At the local 7-11 the clerk was excited and asked if I had anymore that she could "buy."

Seems to be a good promotion by the mint. It is certainly getting the coins in circulation
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by FSU
Just received my coins today. Interesting it did not need a signature and was left on the front step.
Yeah, mine too. $1500 just sitting there. I overslept and when I went to the door I saw some random guy on my porch looking at the boxes, so I quickly opened the door and asked him what he wanted. Said he was looking for his friends apartment and was reading the name, which makes sense as he was dressed to go to the pool and our buildings aren't really marked.
Anyway, they are here and tomorrow I'm going to try and start spending them. I wonder if autozone will take them as payment for a battery.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by chuckd
Anyway, they are here and tomorrow I'm going to try and start spending them. I wonder if autozone will take them as payment for a battery.
Wouldn't it make more sense to spend them places where you couldn't use a credit card?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Where does one obtain one hundred $2 bills?
I just purchased 600 $2 bills on ebay for $1.56 each...and as if that wasn't a good enough deal, I paid for them using my SPG Amex through paypal, thus earning 936 Starpoints as well!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by imasosec
If Jimmy Carter is alive at the Deadline (Aug 2014) the program ends with the Gerald Ford Dollar, there is no Reagan Dollar.
The only place I've seen that claim is in USA Today. All other sources state otherwise. And I don't know about you, but I'd believe almost anyone before I'd believe the McPaper.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I just purchased 600 $2 bills on ebay for $1.56 each.
How did you manage to get lucky enough to find such a moron?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:58 pm

I just purchased 600 $2 bills on ebay for $1.56 each...
And they're real?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The only place I've seen that claim is in USA Today. All other sources state otherwise. And I don't know about you, but I'd believe almost anyone before I'd believe the McPaper.
They will make a Reagan dollar. It will be a big seller!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
...I think it's Bill Clinton who needs to watch his diet and exercise...
How true...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I just purchased 600 $2 bills on ebay for $1.56 each...and as if that wasn't a good enough deal, I paid for them using my SPG Amex through paypal, thus earning 936 Starpoints as well!
Explain to me why someone in their right mind would sell you $1200 in real currency for about $900 plus ebay fees. Although $2 bills may be embarrassing or inconvenient to spend, they can be brought to the bank and deposited just like $1 or $100 bills.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
Explain to me why someone in their right mind would sell you $1200 in real currency for about $900 plus ebay fees. Although $2 bills may be embarrassing or inconvenient to spend, they can be brought to the bank and deposited just like $1 or $100 bills.
I never said they sold them to me for less than face value. Actually, there are people selling 100 packs of $2 bills on ebay for $236. I purchased three units for $708 + $10 for insurance on the shipment. Microsoft was offering 35% off everything on ebay (searching through live.com, using Buy It Now and checking out with PayPal) on Monday and much of Tuesday. So I paid $718.50 through paypal and will get $248 (35% of $708) refunded to me in 60 days. Net cost is $470 for 300 $2 bills, or $1.56 each! I ended up going back and doing it again (since the promotion limits the cash back per purchase to $250) so I actually bought 600 total.

Unfortunately the 35% cash back is no more, but you can still get anything on ebay for 20% off. It's possible they bring the 35% back, but nobody knows. Basically this will probably go down as the deal of the year. I'm curious to know how much Microsoft paid out to advertise their new shopping website. I still find it pretty funny that they paid me $150 to buy a Sony PlayStation 3.

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...30-cash-398602
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Basically this will probably go down as the deal of the year. I'm curious to know how much Microsoft paid out to advertise their new shopping website
Brilliant!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:22 pm

This tidbit really deserves a place in the SPAM forum ^
" live.com .. selling 100 packs on ebay for $236 - Buy It Now - PayPal checkout .."
Ummkay -- except that eBay doesn't seem to be one of the listed 'stores' @ live.com...
For future reference, how's that play? Or was it just a one-shot?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by squawk7500
This tidbit really deserves a place in the SPAM forum ^
Ummkay -- except that eBay doesn't seem to be one of the listed 'stores' @ live.com...
For future reference, how's that play? Or was it just a one-shot?
Deal is still going on...but the cash back is now 20%, not 35%. Just go to Live.com, search for an item (PS3 works at the moment) and then click "web" results. On the next page you'll see the microsoft cash back logo appear at the top of the results page. Once you are at ebay you can search for anything you want, and the 20% off should remain. To confirm, just make sure that when you click on buy it now the cash back info is displayed on the final page.

Edit...it's back up to 25% (search for "Blu Ray")

Last edited by broadwayblue; Jun 22, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.