Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
It should be a pretty simple FOIA request. 2 hours of search time and 100 pages of documents incur no fee anyway.
http://usmint.gov/foia/index.cfm?action=handbook
And you think any Government agency can get anything done in 2 hours of search time? If so, why don't you send in the request.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
"Fees may be waived if disclosure of the information is in the Public's interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to Public understanding of the operation or activities of the government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester. Fee waivers/reductions must be requested in writing."
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by deant
How soon this will happen is a good question.....or maybe it has already. People will start finding out in the next few days/ weeks as they get their CC bills for shipments that are currently going out.
I always have my CC's cash advance set to zero if possible, such as AMEX and Citi. That way I will not lose my sleep and worry how it is coded will affect me.

Originally Posted by mrpickles
So here is how one days orders posted to my most recent credit card statement:

CODED AS A PURCHASE AND NOT AS A CASH ADVANCE. AND THE PAYMENT WAS POSTED ON THE SAME DATE THE PURCHASE WAS POSTED TO THE ACCOUNT.
I just had the billing cycle of the churn-card closed, too.... Points posted to AAdvantage within 24 hours. Not as many points as mrpickles, but happy to see the number goes up. ^ However long it will last, it doesn't matter to me.... We the FTers will always move on to something new. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Good time for me to take a break, too, as I will be on a reward trip heading to Hong Kong and Phuket for family and vacation in less than two weeks. The trip is not booked from the points generated by the $1 program, but from the Marriott travel package which I learned from FT. :-: Thanks, all! I will definitely take a lot of pictures and share if anyone cares.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you think any Government agency can get anything done in 2 hours of search time? If so, why don't you send in the request.
I have filed FOIA requests with several agencies. The actual "request time" is usually very minimal. They are very particular as to what they count as "searching". They spend a lot of time communicating with the agency personnel as to where the records are, but that doesn't count IME. It's the actual time they spend collecting the information once they figure out where it is.

As for this matter, I don't really care enough to bother submitting a request (I actually think this program was a waste of government money and wish the gov't would get rid of the dollar bill). The request process is annoying, often going through several rounds of correspondence before "perfecting" (their term) a request.

You see, one of the catch 22's of FOIA is that it is hard to request documents when you don't even know exactly what's there. It's a pain and it takes a long time IME. But, it's not expensive.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Just received a decent sized order of Presidents yesterday and they are still showing up as a Purchase rather than a Cash Advance.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
First, glad to see everyone back.

Please everyone, let's eliminate the personal insults. This thread has almost been closed about a dozen times. If we don't self-police, the mods will do it for us.

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Just received a decent sized order of Presidents yesterday and they are still showing up as a Purchase rather than a Cash Advance.
Same here. However, my order had been placed BEFORE the new bold red text was added to the Mint site, as I suspect yours was too. I am eagerly awaiting the first report from someone who placed an order AFTER the bold red text went up.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by drumdrum
You mean posts like this one:
Looks like the changes are happening. My Congressional rep sent me this:

On any of the product detail pages from the $1 coin direct ship program ...

The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions.

That statement wasn't there yesterday.
Here's a link to the GW product detail page for quick reference:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=27238
Who's your congressman?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ejs621
Just returned from 1 week in Moorea and 1 week in Bora Bora courtesy of the US Mint. I wish to thank all of the PRODUCTIVE FT'ers that have shared their knowledge that helped me in securing this life long dream trip and enough miles and points to be going to the Maldives in February.

Cheers!
I will have to PM you some time. I've always wanted to go to Tahiti and would like to hear what you recommend. Congrats on the trip.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by leisure32
I will have to PM you some time. I've always wanted to go to Tahiti and would like to hear what you recommend. Congrats on the trip.
It is truly a paradise, PM me any time would be glad to help.

Cheers!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
I can't resist commenting on the absurdity of the self-righteous complainant's "logic"....this Direct Ship programme is a PROFITABLE CASH COW for the Mint....why?...well, let's say it at most costs $.25 for a dollar coin, so that's $125 per box....then 3% bankcard transaction fees is $15...then $50 for shipping....well, that's a total of $190, which leaves $310 as pure profit for the mint.....which, by the way, is one of the only government agencies to report profits.....

Not only does the mint profit, but dollar coins are being circulated....despite vociferous complaints from uninformed, well-meaning individuals, the Mint would be best advised to continue this programme to get those coins circulated, then withdraw the dollar, and soon enough, we'll be using coins like the UK, Australia, etc

Last edited by aviators99; Nov 14, 2009 at 11:05 am Reason: Removed political reference
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:11 am
xp0

How are people still ordering 1$ coins? When I look it only shows the ones that are not shipping yet. Is there a way to order the older 1$ coins? (I must be missing something?)

Thanks ....
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xp0
How are people still ordering 1$ coins? When I look it only shows the ones that are not shipping yet. Is there a way to order the older 1$ coins? (I must be missing something?)

Thanks ....
The coins that are shipping now are ones that were ordered a week or two ago. Before they went on backorder.

You can still order the coins but they will not ship until they get back in stock.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:32 am
xp0

The coins that are shipping now are ones that were ordered a week or two ago. Before they went on backorder.

You can still order the coins but they will not ship until they get back in stock.
Ahhh I see, thanks a lot!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Same here. However, my order had been placed BEFORE the new bold red text was added to the Mint site, as I suspect yours was too. I am eagerly awaiting the first report from someone who placed an order AFTER the bold red text went up.
Could be...my order was placed on 11/5/09. Good thing I have another 6 orders in process and still waiting to be shipped that were from this same date!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.