Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:12 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by drumdrum
The Mint controls how their purchases are coded just like the Amex gift card fiasco.
True - I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However it remains the prerogative of the CC companies to tailor their award programs, and in turn how those programs treat various classes of purchases.

That said I'm not sure I can name a program that offers points on "cash-like" transactions for the obvious potential to commit arbitrage, but regardless it remains in their hands on how to reward transactions. How the vendor codes transactions is of course a matter of business between them and their CC processor.

But again if you don't mind me asking -- what happened with your shipment(s)?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
It is up to individual card issuers rather than the Mint to say whether something is a purchase or a cash advance.
It's a combination of card issuers and the way the merchant codes the transaction/the way their merchant bank codes the transaction.

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Plus, how would the Mint differentiate between people purchasing Gold coins and medals and the $1 coins?
They theoretically could put purchases through under multiple codes and/or merchant numbers.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by benmaller
As for the mint there aren't any mrpickles out there buying 100's of thousands of coins to spend at starbucks.
But Disney is buying thousands of dollars of coins to give out in their promotion.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by deant
But Disney is buying thousands of dollars of coins to give out in their promotion.
I'm only speculating, but I would very surprised if Disney is not getting a discount on their purchase.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:49 pm

Bottom line is that there are changes coming to the "Direct Ship" program. It is possible that the coins will go the same way that the TC program went. Only time will tell. It appears obvious that the Mint, or some other Government entity, is trying to put a stop to earning significant points / mileage from the Direct Ship program.

No one really knows if drumdrum, or anyone else for that matter, was responsible for the Mint making changes to the program. Right now, all we can do is wait and see what really happens.

I think everyone's concerns should be focused, for the time being, on the orders that are in place. Will they be processed as cash advances or as purchases? Or as purchases with no points attached (like the TCs).
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by benmaller
I'm only speculating, but I would very surprised if Disney is not getting a discount on their purchase.
IF they are getting a discount, it is probably offset by the fact that the Mint is not having to pay CC fees associated with their "purchase" of coins. Also, the Disney coins may, possibly, be coming from the Fed banks who have all the coins that FTs have deposited in regular banks.

Just a thought.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Bottom line is that there are changes coming to the "Direct Ship" program. It is possible that the coins will go the same way that the TC program went. Only time will tell. It appears obvious that the Mint, or some other Government entity, is trying to put a stop to earning significant points / mileage from the Direct Ship program.

No one really knows if drumdrum, or anyone else for that matter, was responsible for the Mint making changes to the program. Right now, all we can do is wait and see what really happens.

I think everyone's concerns should be focused, for the time being, on the orders that are in place. Will they be processed as cash advances or as purchases? Or as purchases with no points attached (like the TCs).
It could also be that they were able to line up others like Disney and thusly its alot cheaper and better for The Mint to simply deal with Extreme large orders then what they did with us.

IF they are getting a discount, it is probably offset by the fact that the Mint is not having to pay CC fees associated with their "purchase" of coins. Also, the Disney coins may, possibly, be coming from the Fed banks who have all the coins that FTs have deposited in regular banks.

Just a thought.
I don't think that's possible (or legal).

There's plenty of margin to offer Disney a substantial discount, though.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also, the Disney coins may, possibly, be coming from the Fed banks who have all the coins that FTs have deposited in regular banks.
Sweet harmony! I'd love to help out Disney.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:28 pm
RLW

Question

Originally Posted by drumdrum
No, the credit goes to everyone who abused the program and to those that mocked the ability of one person to make changes happen.
o it's the little drumdrum that could

did you always want to be the heroine? trying to save us all from ordering heavy back-breaking boxes of golden-colored coins?

dear drumdrum the people that "abused the program" already got their big rewards and now they'll have plenty of time to do other thangs like playing coin toss, gold digging, and taking free flights with their accumulated reward points.

and we all know your original goal wasn't to "make changes happen" but to recover your lost $20k shipment of coins.

then that somehow transformed into a vendetta against everyone else that was ordering the coins and against the coin supplier us mint.

you seem pretty bitter about losing those $20k coins and are now on a rampage for revenge

i suppose your significant loss of coins is still under investigation and while that case slowly moves along, you are agonizing and hurt and in order to release your pent up emotions, you desire to inflict punishment on those that recommended the coin deal to you.

calling and writing to your congresswoman and the us mint, you anxiously await the little bird that brings you new from afar. Inside your head, the question continuously rings, Where are my 20k coins? Why me? Why me? I want my coins back now!

Maybe you needed the 20k to pay your bills or maybe you're very rich and the $20k was just pocket change.

But in either case you still want those coins!

Your eyes are seething red with anger as you vow, "If I can't have those coins, then no one can! HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

But in the end, have you really accomplished anything? Well, who knows?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
I don't think that's possible (or legal).
What do you think is not possible (or legal)? Is it relative to getting a "discount" on the coins? I have the exact same feeling and that was why I put "IF" in bold letters.

Getting the coins from the Fed would be via the normal banks that Disney deals with. It would be very simple for them to order hundreds of thousands of dollars of coins as "change" for the bills that they get daily from the general public. You need to remember that Disney deals with millions of dollars of cash each and every day.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:33 pm
RLW

Question

What do you think is not possible (or legal)? Is it relative to getting a "discount" on the coins? I have the exact same feeling and that was why I put "IF" in bold letters.

Getting the coins from the Fed would be via the normal banks that Disney deals with. It would be very simple for them to order hundreds of thousands of dollars of coins as "change" for the bills that they get daily from the general public. You need to remember that Disney deals with millions of dollars of cash each and every day.
i thought disney ordered directly from the u.s. mint? that's why the native american coins were sold out!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by RLW
i thought disney ordered directly from the u.s. mint? that's why the native american coins were sold out!
Don't think anyone on this board knows. They could get the coins from the Mint or through their normal banking channels - or both. Also, look at my original post where I said: Also, the Disney coins may, possibly, be coming from the Fed banks who have all the coins that FTs have deposited in regular banks.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks Ft'ers

Just returned from 1 week in Moorea and 1 week in Bora Bora courtesy of the US Mint. I wish to thank all of the PRODUCTIVE FT'ers that have shared their knowledge that helped me in securing this life long dream trip and enough miles and points to be going to the Maldives in February.

Cheers!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ejs621
Just returned from 1 week in Moorea and 1 week in Bora Bora courtesy of the US Mint. I wish to thank all of the PRODUCTIVE FT'ers that have shared their knowledge that helped me in securing this life long dream trip and enough miles and points to be going to the Maldives in February.

Cheers!
Ditto that! You guys helped me ride in the front the bus on my birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.