Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:15 am

Can anyone confirms who delivers this? Is it brought to my door my the USPS or by DHL?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by lumofny
Can anyone confirms who delivers this? Is it brought to my door my the USPS or by DHL?
DHL takes to USPS, USPS delivers.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I have several friends that work at Bank of America. They told me that customers are always coming in and asking for the new dollar coins: "Do you have the new ones yet?" It seems like they are pretty popular.

Personally, I must admit that I find the designs rather ugly, and I find them less convenient than paper, not more - dollar bills are light and take up little space in my purse. However, I will continue to use them for things that I can't use credit cards for, since I enjoy getting the miles for them.

-kirax2
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:35 am
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
I deposited 2000 dollar coins at Wachovia this morning. They didn't say much, but it sure took a lot to unbox all of them. What a pain...but worth it for miles!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
the mint on their own can DUMP them by all the banks, that doesnt mean they will be changing hands. the Mint was hoping that the public would use them in everyday transactions so as to get us use to them , thusly it will take the Dollar bill out of the system
Craz,

I think you may be making an incorrect assumption about the Mint being able to ship these coins out to banks in any amount that they wish. It may be up to the bank manager to actually select an amount of these coins to take in.

My local bank was thrilled to get some of these coins since customers are always asking and they never have enough of them on hand. (This is in New York City.)

So, I think these coins can enter circulation in a myriad ways...from the consumer spending them directly to those depositing them and then the bank getting them in circulation by giving them to customers who specifically request them.

I agree that broadcasting certain info on the Internet isn't always the best thing to so, but the Mint is a federal entity. Do you really think they are monitoring FT? If a government worker has the motivation and resources (Internet access) to monitor, I'd be very surprised.

Cheers!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:06 am

What happens if the authorization has expired on my credit card, yet the coins have yet to ship? Will my credit card be charged 'again' before the ship, or if they havent been shipped by the time the authorization expires, I'm out of luck and wont be getting them?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndreaRH

I agree that broadcasting certain info on the Internet isn't always the best thing to so, but the Mint is a federal entity. Do you really think they are monitoring FT? If a government worker has the motivation and resources (Internet access) to monitor, I'd be very surprised.

Cheers!
I happen to agree, but have learnt never to say/think never, when 1 least expects it you find something out the hard way.

So its I feel a good policy to get used to doing things rather then drawing possible attention to yourself/others
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by FLYINBELLS
UNBELIEVABLE! I have to admit, I was a little skeptical after reading your post, but my order has been on hold for 13 days now so I called in to see what's up with my order. They verified the last 4 of my CC and expiry, and lifted the hold, shipping out in the next 24-48 hours.

Just an FYI for anyone else in the same situation.

Now we'll see how well they actually execute the order........
Just called. Same story.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:50 am

check the shipping method

and shipping address.

i placed an order on 8/19 for a total of 10 rolls (= $2,500). i called today and spoke with a csr rep about why the order was still on hold. she verified only my name and address [cc info was already in the website because i order many items from them]

then she said she would expedite the order and send it fedex (signature required).

i asked her to change it to dhl/ups, but she said because of the dollar amount a signature would be required. she offered to change the shipping address to my business address to save me a trip to the fedex office after work BUT I HAD A SENIOR MOMENT AND TOLD HER TO SEND IT TO MY HOME ADDRESS (which means an additional trip for me).

so, make sure of everything when you order.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Just for laughs I tried putting a search of 'Presidential $1 coins' into eBay, I got numerous hits with people selling these exact same (non proof) coins, still in the same paper mint rolls as they come out of the box.

$39/roll seems to be the 'buy it now' price for most rolls

So fess up guys, which of you here is trying to resell these, and for a profit no less, on ebay ?? And to what sucker did you sell them to for this profit?

Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
OMG...

And there is actually a market for these things apparently...

eBay Item #130246990697

Some one actually BOUGHT a $25 roll of Adams for $34.50 + $3.50 shipping...

wow!

Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Just for laughs I tried putting a search of 'Presidential $1 coins' into eBay, I got numerous hits with people selling these exact same (non proof) coins, still in the same paper mint rolls as they come out of the box.

$39/roll seems to be the 'buy it now' price for most rolls

So fess up guys, which of you here is trying to resell these, and for a profit no less, on ebay ?? And to what sucker did you sell them to for this profit?

Unbelievable! Damn good idea though. If I weren't starting a new job in a week I would totally order more coins and attempt to sell for a profit.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:56 pm

Monitoring? Probably not. Reading? Very possibly. Treasury Department employee here, just looking for some good deals on miles. I have nothing to do with the Mint, nor do I care what any of you do, but don't assume that somebody can't just stumble across this kind of thing.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by craz
thusly it will take the Dollar bill out of the system
FWIW, I don't believe there is any pending or proposed legislation to eliminate the dollar bill. Previous such legislation has always failed miserably. I'd be all for it, but most people see not to be... but then again, the times, they are a-changin'.

It may be up to the bank manager to actually select an amount of these coins to take in.
Indeed, I believe that banks specifically order amounts and types of currency from the central federal reserve banks. If they had strong demand for dollar coins, they could presumably order more, so I find it strange that they "don't have enough on hand," but perhaps that demand isn't getting communicated to the higher-ups who order currency.

Originally Posted by lumofny
What happens if the authorization has expired on my credit card, yet the coins have yet to ship?
Presumably it would be just like any other delayed transaction - they would simply charge your card when the coins ship. It shouldn't be any different than other online retail transactions for back-ordered items.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:35 pm

Worth a try. Certainly seems like a great way to even out accounts. Thanks for the idea.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.