Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
All it took was a call to the order line a couple of days ago where the nice order lady told me that my coins had been "picked" for shipment on the 19th, but, for unknown reasons, had not actually shipped. She sent a message to the warehouse and said I should have my coins by Tuesday (March 3).
.... sounded like it might help to call,
but after 10 calls through this morning
the automated system keeps telling me:

"we are unable to answer your call at this time".

Anybody know the elite line 800 number?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:35 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by PedroNY
I value this in benefits (points to be spent at Conrad) at around $150 not including the interest float for about 20 days.
I get my bonus in Starpoints which I value around that same ($150). But, since this purchase actually put me over the top for an Amex 15K bonus, actually worth, arguably, $600. Plus the joy of sucess in the points system.

By the way, when I called to check on my order I pushed the number for want to place an order. The lady at that number was able to check on my previously made order.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My order is showing a $4.95 shipping charge:

Shipping Method Selected
Standard Shipping: 1-2 weeks ($4.95)

I haven't finalized it. Is this deal basically dead?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by josephstern

Shipping Method Selected

No - on the final page it should show $0 S&H - before final submittal.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by compuser1973
Originally Posted by josephstern

Shipping Method Selected

No - on the final page it should show $0 S&H - before final submittal.
Correct-

Occasionally there's a glitch in the system that puts this charge out... so you can try it again to see if it clears out, or click purchase, call the mint and have the shipping removed.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I had to wash the de-icing material off my car after winter weather - the local $3 automated car wash location actually accepts $1 coins in the machine!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Seriously... how much is the mint paying to ship these?

When ordering $2500 in coins, the parcel weighs 46.9 LBS. And... they've been sending these to me 'Next Day Air'.

I just went to the shipping calculator at ups.com, and came up with a estimated cost of shipping at $245.08 !!

Is this a part of the stimulus package or something? Is this a form of UPS bail out? I mean, I understand they might have some bulk discount rate with UPS... but still... they're not even using the least expensive shipping any more.

As suggested earlier in this thread, why doesn't the mint simply save some money and just give me some SPG points and AAdvantage miles. Maybe 5000 of each, each month. Better yet, how about having the Department of the Treasury collecting $245.08 less from me this year.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thehawk75
When ordering $2500 in coins, the parcel weighs 46.9 LBS. And... they've been sending these to me 'Next Day Air'.

I just went to the shipping calculator at ups.com, and came up with a estimated cost of shipping at $245.08 !!

Is this a part of the stimulus package or something? Is this a form of UPS bail out? I mean, I understand they might have some bulk discount rate with UPS... but still... they're not even using the least expensive shipping any more.

As suggested earlier in this thread, why doesn't the mint simply save some money and just give me some SPG points and AAdvantage miles. Maybe 5000 of each, each month. Better yet, how about having the Department of the Treasury collecting $245.08 less from me this year.
well from numerous posts of yours since you have ordered numerous times exceeding the limit The Mint had per address and tried unsuccessfully to have gotten even more then you actually did. All knowing it was S&H free. It doesnt seem to Me at least that You really cared what it was costing the Mint whatsoever, so why now the change of mind?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by craz
well from numerous posts of yours since you have ordered numerous times exceeding the limit The Mint had per address and tried unsuccessfully to have gotten even more then you actually did. All knowing it was S&H free. It doesnt seem to Me at least that You really cared what it was costing the Mint whatsoever, so why now the change of mind?
I'm genuinely curious, especially considering it is now becoming easier to get the re-orders, and now they are using upgraded shipping. Why you have to make some sort of moral judgment about someone being curious is beyond me. Are we never supposed to express curiosity about something that we are participating in?

At any rate, I do not think they are paying $250 for shipping, but, if they are then it really isn't the most efficient means of circulating coins -- sorry if you don't find even the least bit of humor (cynical or not) in that.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Native American Coins are Available Again!

they are available again! Remember, unlike the President coins, you can order up to $5,000 in coins (20 boxes). That's 15,000 ThankYou points with the Citi Platinum Amex!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:53 pm

Just looked. They show as unavailable.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by friedice
Just looked. They show as unavailable.
Just ordered 10 boxes. Showed available when I ordered.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:31 pm

Yep, I see it now. Musta been some glitch.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I've just ordered some coins myself but they are restricting it to 2x each President.

What are people's experiences when it comes to re-ordering more of the same?

Are they particularly strict. Will second "maximum" order simply be cancelled?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by friedice
Yep, I see it now. Musta been some glitch.
Back to not being available. Wonder if orders from the other day will ship?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.