Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
I said it earlier, Simon are gamers also, just like us. Somewhere in the chain someone was losing money on the hardcore MS trade, most likely one of WM, MG or BHN or the Banks. There is no breakage with us.
Amex took steps to stop issuing rewards for Simon spend, but there its still likely that either WM, MG or BHN were losing money on the MS trade. There is zero chance of Simon ever getting into selling MO.

Also mentioned before; if MS increases annual Mall turnover by $10m, you can bet that is in the mix when Simon are negotiating rents. So even Simons core revenue stream could be benefiting from MS impact. Not saying that its the making or breaking of them, but it is important to them.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by soy
I said it earlier, Simon are gamers also, just like us. Somewhere in the chain someone was losing money on the hardcore MS trade, most likely one of WM, MG or BHN or the Banks. There is no breakage with us.
Amex took steps to stop issuing rewards for Simon spend, but there its still likely that either WM, MG or BHN were losing money on the MS trade. There is zero chance of Simon ever getting into selling MO.

Also mentioned before; if MS increases annual Mall turnover by $10m, you can bet that is in the mix when Simon are negotiating rents. So even Simons core revenue stream could be benefiting from MS impact. Not saying that its the making or breaking of them, but it is important to them.
based on the fact that Metas also stopped working at Kroger, my best guess is it’s a BHN/Meta decision to block debit transactions utilizing some percentage of the card value.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Many years ago.

Fees went up a bit. From $2.95 for 1 card to $3.95.
Okay. I remember the increase; I didn't realize there was a shift in issuers then too.

It was around the time I got in the game so I just figured they increased the price to capture their new "gamer" audience.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:49 pm

Well, back then, with VGC issuer 1, the fees were on a sliding scale with $2.95 as the highest. Which I would avoid with scale.

VGC issuer 2 had a flat and fixed fee of $2.95, which I just never bought.

AMEX was also of course a 3rd choice, but useless even w/o fees.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by danpeake
When WM sells a $500 WM gift card, WM holds the funds until they're spent (ie, their obligation). They can't book the revenue until it's spent.

When WM sells a $500 McDonalds gift card, the funds go to McDonalds (or whoever manager's McDonald's gift cards for them) minus some cut that WM takes, presumably.

That's why when you said that "So for Wal-Mart, at least, no matter how much it loads onto its gift cards, it's not revenue until it's used to purchase stuff" I replied that it is only related to WM-store gift cards.
In all likelihood, a vendor of GC's carries a liability for gift cards outstanding. That's how I would do it if I were setting up an accounting system. However there may be ways the green-eyeshade guys do stuff.

In any case, yes it's very different when you sell a GC redeemable anywhere and one redeemable only in your store(s).
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Replacing my earlier post with a much simpler plan of action.

The T&C state "If you do not agree to these terms, do not use the card, save your receipt, and cancel the card by calling customer service and requesting a refund check."

So it would seem a simple phone call to MetaBank should get your money back.

Of course, this isn't really what I hope for. I hope to be back in business. We all do.

Last edited by redtop43; Nov 18, 2020 at 8:11 pm Reason: Found more relevant information
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:46 pm

Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately all these posts speculating about "why" this is happening just made the past few pages in this thread unreadable.

That said - what is the latest status on this? My own update is: I unloaded at over 15 WM's in the last week of October. For the most part I had no issues except at a couple WM's, I had to swipe multiple. One thing I noticed is after the amount shows on the pinpad, give it about 5 seconds to sit there before swiping. If I swiped too quickly after it started blinking, it would decline.

Not sure if that is the reason at all, but I have about 4 cards left, might give it a try today. By the way, my cards are not exactly at $1k, I purchase a bit below so I get an even dollar amount with the 88c fee ($980.88)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by fearless2357
Unfortunately all these posts speculating about "why" this is happening just made the past few pages in this thread unreadable.

That said - what is the latest status on this? My own update is: I unloaded at over 15 WM's in the last week of October. For the most part I had no issues except at a couple WM's, I had to swipe multiple. One thing I noticed is after the amount shows on the pinpad, give it about 5 seconds to sit there before swiping. If I swiped too quickly after it started blinking, it would decline.

Not sure if that is the reason at all, but I have about 4 cards left, might give it a try today. By the way, my cards are not exactly at $1k, I purchase a bit below so I get an even dollar amount with the 88c fee ($980.88)
At last check it seems like it's a BlackHawk issue. My cards didn't work at WM or Kroger in the last 2 days. A few have even tried to use their cards for normal purchase (someone tried frontier airlines) and it was denied.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by fearless2357
.... My own update is: I unloaded at over 15 WM's in the last week of October. For the most part I had no issues except at a couple WM's,...
Welcome back Mr Swipe Van Winkle. While you slept, none of this no longer works.
cruisr likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Welcome back Mr Swipe Van Winkle. While you slept, none of this no longer works.
Thanks for the update. I'll sleep for another month and post here again in 30 days
cruisr and littlewinglet like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Went to Simon Mall and bought a VGC today for $800. Went to a local grocery store (not Kroger family but still pretty well known name brand) and attempted a $475 MO. Worked with no problem on first swipe. I did change the PIN a few mins after I bought the card. Not sure if something changed in the past day or not. This was the first time in probably 2 months I attempted a Simon card at this location.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by History05
At last check it seems like it's a BlackHawk issue. My cards didn't work at WM or Kroger in the last 2 days. A few have even tried to use their cards for normal purchase (someone tried frontier airlines) and it was denied.
If regular purchases are being declined this may be an IT error and I would imagine it would be fixed asap.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
If regular purchases are being declined this may be an IT error and I would imagine it would be fixed asap.
It would be so nice if that's all it was. Let's hope!
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by History05
Went to Simon Mall and bought a VGC today for $800. Went to a local grocery store (not Kroger family but still pretty well known name brand) and attempted a $475 MO. Worked with no problem on first swipe. I did change the PIN a few mins after I bought the card. Not sure if something changed in the past day or not. This was the first time in probably 2 months I attempted a Simon card at this location.
I have not had any problem buying MOs with $200 Metas (Staples) at my local grocery store. The fee is higher ($0.65-0.79) for a maximum $500 MO but I am allowed multiple swipes.

It appears that certain local grocers who allow MO purchases with GCs are not affected (with the exceptions noted in prior posts).

With that being said, my actual fear is that displaced whales will find said liquidation portals and overwhelm them causing them to shut down as well (as we have seen numerous times before).

My portals exist because I use them sporadically and for small amounts. Buying a $400 MO once a week does not arouse interest, but buying 4 $500 MOs daily will.
FrankMS and Burton Codh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.