Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
That is why I buy my Simon VGCs in South Cali and liquidate them in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West
Now it will be a blast when telling my CSR friends at Wally that I need a $998.12 MO and will not need to split the transaction
I’m debating buying more and trying to liquidate a bit further from the mall. I am curious to see how far this policy extends in the area.
Unfortunately, the middle of nowhere wouldn’t be an option for me since this is a very densely populated area and I don’t travel for work.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by DBFL
Simon CSR was wonderful to deal with. She was very pleasant. After I told her how much I wanted, she asked for my ID and the card I’d be using to pay with. She even asked if I wanted to buy more with another card. When I was leaving she made sure to remind me that the promo is good through the beginning of next month.

WM liquidation was another story. I went to two different locations and both times they immediately asked for ID and to see the card I was using. I was doing my usual $999.12 per MO and was only trying to buy one. Both said they were specifically told that they can’t accept Simon cards and that cards would have to have my name on them.
Ended up liquidating half of each card at my local grocery store and the other half, ironically enough, at WMNM.

I’m hoping this WM policy doesn’t apply to the GCM cards that I have coming.
This is not SOP. Its up to the individual. One WM I go to I know the WM lady at the MC asks to see the card even though I am not splitting payments.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
This is not SOP. Its up to the individual. One WM I go to I know the WM lady at the MC asks to see the card even though I am not splitting payments.
Seems like it may be a new policy for my area. I went to two WMs and it was the exact same thing. Both asked to see the card and both specifically said that they can’t accept Simon mall cards. One of the stores I went to is the one I always go to. And it was the same CSR that’s usually there. She said she was instructed to check for and deny any Simon mall cards and that the card had to have my name on it. She has been extremely friendly every time I’ve been in there. Her demeanor led me to believe that she wanted to do the transaction but was afraid of getting in trouble.

I’ll probably test this out some more in a few days. I have more than a dozen stores (evenly split between super centers and NMs) within about 30 minutes from my house.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
The end merchants are the losers here. Money services are offered by stores as a loss leader to get people in the door, but we are not their target customers. They are taking losses on these services in hopes that the unbanked then spend their entire paycheck on other crap in the store.
That's overly simplistic. A company like WM has hundreds of cost accountants (or the AI equivalent) analyzing profitability of its goods and services. Although I'm sure that they factor in the "bringing people thru the door" benefit of money services, I sincerely doubt that money services operates perpetually at an overall loss.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tuphat
That's overly simplistic. A company like WM has hundreds of cost accountants (or the AI equivalent) analyzing profitability of its goods and services. Although I'm sure that they factor in the "bringing people thru the door" benefit of money services, I sincerely doubt that money services operates perpetually at an overall loss.
I can't image how MSers are profitable for WM or anyone else. They may make money off other MC services, but I highly doubt they make anything off MOs.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:03 am

Seems like it may be a new policy for my area. I went to two WMs and it was the exact same thing. Both asked to see the card and both specifically said that they can’t accept Simon mall cards. One of the stores I went to is the one I always go to. And it was the same CSR that’s usually there. She said she was instructed to check for and deny any Simon mall cards and that the card had to have my name on it. She has been extremely friendly every time I’ve been in there. Her demeanor led me to believe that she wanted to do the transaction but was afraid of getting in trouble.
This is becoming widespread with a lot of DPs coming in with the same experience.

I made the ill-fated decision today to show a cashier my actual debit card when she asked to see it, then swipe a SM VGC instead. Wrong move. She compared the last 4 and saw they were different. The transaction went through but she refused to give me the money order, telling me it was illegal to use a gift card, and wouldn't refund me in any way. The only way I can hope to recover my $1,000 now is to file a dispute by calling the number on the card. Anyone ever have this happen to them?
This was posted on reddit MS sub, store referred to is Kroger.

FWIW, doing switcheroo is ALWAYS risky since more cashiers have been trained to check the last 4 of card number which usually shows on the receipt and/or their monitor. During those times I was asked for the card, I gave to them what I had and if they said they don't accept it, so be it. There were times, fwr, cashiers flipped the SMGCs back n forth, gave them back to me and gave me the go signal to swipe (happened at WM and grocery store(s))

The cashier and store manager who said it was illegal to use GC was wrong although switching cards was indeed shady. Store has two options ~ 1.put back the funds in the GCs swiped and if they can't, 2.they have to give cash refund while telling the person they can't come back to buy MOs there. They CANNOT keep the funds or else customer can file a case of theft against them since they took the payment but did not give the goods (MO) purchased. There was no mention what region/state/city this happened and one can expect them to be on lookout for more MSers with SM GCs doing the same thing. I have not experienced this kind of issue at the grocery store(s) but at WM, when there were issues with MGMO printing and my receipt says refund amount and I see the drawer opened, I make sure to ask for my cash refund from the cash dept manager if cashier refuses. The cash dept manager had no problem giving me cash refund.

PSA to newbies, best NOT to try switcheroo and the fat fingered/fake SSN trick anywhere you're asked to avoid troubles you don't want to deal with. Make sure you have back up liquidation plans or you might end up with stacks of GCs and a huge CC debt(s) with high interest rate(s).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 am

"Everyone wins but Wal-Mart."

WM doesn't make money on selling MOs. WM doesn't plan on making money selling MOs. The reason they sell MOs is to get people into the store, and once you are in the store, you will purchase other things that do make money for them. This even applies to MSers, sure most of the time we are in and out just to get our MOs, but every once in a while, since we are already there, we pick up a bunch of groceries (they do have decent prices for many things).
Steve in Olympia and golfr like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
Word on street is there is a nat campaign to stop manuspen and stores will track whoever cashes out $1k gebits...
A campaign by Simon? Don't they already know their MS customers just by volume?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Lol. Similar to how Simon will never sell 1k cards?
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TyPo311
I can't image how MSers are profitable for WM or anyone else. They may make money off other MC services, but I highly doubt they make anything off MOs.
They would not sell MOs if they didn't think they benefited from doing so. Any supplier who has ever tried to do business with WM can attest to that. Also, I think that WM -- at least at the corporate level -- feels that they have addressed any MS'er "problem" via the limits imposed last year.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Anyone know if you can use your mobile phone to pay for these gift cards? Thinking of using my US Bank Altitude card.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Anyone know if you can use your mobile phone to pay for these gift cards?
The few locations I've been to explicitly say they don't allow that.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Anyone know if you can use your mobile phone to pay for these gift cards? Thinking of using my US Bank Altitude card.
they used to accept AP but no more. Worked great for the 10% D/AP CB promo. One $10k purchased hit the max spend.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:20 am

I’ll probably test this out some more in a few days. I have more than a dozen stores (evenly split between super centers and NMs) within about 30 minutes from my house.
YMMV. BAU at a local Walmart here. Unloaded 10k in multiple transactions, 4/4/2, she even looked at the cards.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by yaji
YMMV. BAU at a local Walmart here. Unloaded 10k in multiple transactions, 4/4/2, she even looked at the cards.
It’s definitely a local policy. I’m just not sure if it’s certain parts of the county, the whole county, or the entire region. But both rejections were before any swipes. The CSRs immediately asked to see ID and the card I was using. And both specifically said they can’t do Simon VGCs.
I bought another round of Simon cards. I’ve liquidated a little over half so far using my usual grocery stores and one WMNM. The NM register asked for ID for a $1k MO. I gave the CSR my ID and there was no problem. I’m not sure if I’ll have to provide ID for every purchase there now, or if it was just random.
I have a few cards left that I’m going to try at a regular WM further north when I head that way later this evening. I’m more curious than anything at this point. I was hoping my new BB card would be here by now so I could test how they treat that, but I guess I’ll have to wait for the next round of cards for that.

Last edited by DBFL; Jul 22, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.