Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ketelone
Can someone please direct me to some website that explains the economics.
1) when I buy a 500 gc who gets what out of it. With Visa, cc company, metabank, Simon mall, is there enough to go around for the 3.95 fee.

​​​​​apologize if it's been answered in forum somewhere
Everyone here is intensely curious, but no one really cares. As long as we make money it's all god.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ECCM

Not St. Pete’s...the one further north. Was contacted by higher up apologizing for the encounter and welcoming me to come in now that the individual was spoken to. As is often the case, try to avoid older clerks when possible as they are oftentimes difficult to deal with.
Glad it worked out. I guess I’ll find out how St. Pete is tomorrow.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Agree to disagree- wm should love this, lower swipe fees for them. Unless there’s another aspect I’m not considering.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Agree to disagree- wm should love this, lower swipe fees for them. Unless there’s another aspect I’m not considering.
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ketelone
Can someone please direct me to some website that explains the economics.
1) when I buy a 500 gc who gets what out of it. With Visa, cc company, metabank, Simon mall, is there enough to go around for the 3.95 fee.

​​​​​apologize if it's been answered in forum somewhere
Everyone wins but Wal-Mart.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Everyone wins but Wal-Mart.
Why doesn't WM win? They get reduction in swipe fees.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Why doesn't WM win? They get reduction in swipe fees.
Card fees are not just a flat rate, there is a percentage fee is as well. That percentage fee on unregulated debits (which gebits are) is extremely high. The MO sellers are the losers in MS, this just makes them lose money faster. As of 2015 the visa unregulated debit interchange fees were 1.80% + $0.20 (based on one source I found). This is how Simon/Blackhawk/Metabank make money.

Last edited by shipitkthx; Jul 18, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:38 am

Those fees are the maximum fees that can be charged. We have no idea what WM actually pays to process an unregulated debit card, and we have no idea of the arrangements Simon.com has made either.

Plus, please explain to me how Simon/Blackhawk/Metabank make money by paying fees to process the charge cards used to buy the debit cards. A fee is not a profit item--it's a cost. If fees are paid TO Simon/Blackhawk/Metabank by those who distribute their cards, that's different.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
MG and Simon mall can make money if people dont deposit MO/misplace VGC
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
Those fees are the maximum fees that can be charged. We have no idea what WM actually pays to process an unregulated debit card, and we have no idea of the arrangements Simon.com has made either.

Plus, please explain to me how Simon/Blackhawk/Metabank make money by paying fees to process the charge cards used to buy the debit cards. A fee is not a profit item--it's a cost. If fees are paid TO Simon/Blackhawk/Metabank by those who distribute their cards, that's different.
My point is that Walmart is PAYING fees to Blackhawk/Metabank when you liquidate the card. This is how the system works:
Simon pays less than 100% of face value to buy the cards from Blackhawk/Metabank. They make money on that spread + $3.95 card fee, their expenses are the swipe/interchange fees they pay to our credit cards.
When you use a VGC, the merchant (in most cases Walmart or w/e your liquidation outlet is) pay swipe/interchange fees to Blackhawk/Metabank on that transaction.
It's not rocket science to figure out how who's paying the bills here. Simon is embracing "loyalty gamers" because they, and those above them on the chain, are making money. The end merchants are the losers here. Money services are offered by stores as a loss leader to get people in the door, but we are not their target customers. They are taking losses on these services in hopes that the unbanked then spend their entire paycheck on other crap in the store.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
MG and Simon mall can make money if people dont deposit MO/misplace VGC
That is not how this works. Even if it was, we would be their worst customers as I guarantee MSers have the lowest breakage rates.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:03 pm

Word on street is there is a nat campaign to stop manuspen and stores will track whoever cashes out $1k gebits...
shadow520 and Prometheus77 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:47 pm

CSR smiled and immediately asked me if I was there for the $1K cards. Liquidation went smooth at WM and a couple local grocers.

Last edited by Prometheus77; Jul 18, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:48 pm

Simon CSR was wonderful to deal with. She was very pleasant. After I told her how much I wanted, she asked for my ID and the card I’d be using to pay with. She even asked if I wanted to buy more with another card. When I was leaving she made sure to remind me that the promo is good through the beginning of next month.

WM liquidation was another story. I went to two different locations and both times they immediately asked for ID and to see the card I was using. I was doing my usual $999.12 per MO and was only trying to buy one. Both said they were specifically told that they can’t accept Simon cards and that cards would have to have my name on them.
Ended up liquidating half of each card at my local grocery store and the other half, ironically enough, at WMNM.

I’m hoping this WM policy doesn’t apply to the GCM cards that I have coming.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by DBFL
Simon CSR was wonderful to deal with. She was very pleasant. After I told her how much I wanted, she asked for my ID and the card I’d be using to pay with. She even asked if I wanted to buy more with another card. When I was leaving she made sure to remind me that the promo is good through the beginning of next month.

WM liquidation was another story. I went to two different locations and both times they immediately asked for ID and to see the card I was using. I was doing my usual $999.12 per MO and was only trying to buy one. Both said they were specifically told that they can’t accept Simon cards and that cards would have to have my name on them.
Ended up liquidating half of each card at my local grocery store and the other half, ironically enough, at WMNM.

I’m hoping this WM policy doesn’t apply to the GCM cards that I have coming.
That is why I buy my Simon VGCs in South Cali and liquidate them in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West
Now it will be a blast when telling my CSR friends at Wally that I need a $998.12 MO and will not need to split the transaction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.