Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TTT103
Simon does have a policy that if your card is declined you may not attempt the transaction during the same day regardless if you use the same or different card.
Not quite true, in my experience.
You cannot do the transaction with the same card, but you certainly can switch cards and complete the transaction.
That is what I had to do after my AA Citi card was declined. I switched (at that time) to an Amex card and completed my business without issue.

Of course, now I would not use an Amex card either
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The Simon CSR told me that you have to wait until the next day to try again after a declined transaction on that CC. .
"next day" means next calendar day or rolling 24 hours? I will find out today.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Simon does have a policy that if your card is declined you may not attempt the transaction during the same day regardless if you use the same or different card.
I've always been allowed to pay with a different card the same day.

Originally Posted by coolguy100
"next day" means next calendar day or rolling 24 hours? I will find out today.
In my experience the next calendar day has always worked.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
They are selling like hot cakes. My mall is out of gc's. Wow.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

While this DP is 4-5 years old now, back when I first bought VGCs @ SM, I wasn't aware of the declined CC "policy". I got a fraud alert, cleared it on my phone, and reused the same card again (which then went through). It's the only time I ever had an alert there, but the CSR didn't say anything. So I don't think it's hard coded or anything, I just think it's their policy.

I'm not advocating trying to get around it at all. We certainly don't want to give them any reasons to turn on us. But just think the DP might help toward the next day/24 hour discussion.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I used my declined card of yesterday less than 24 hours and went though....so it is calendar day reset, not rolling 24 hours.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Simon Mall is extending the ability to buy $1000 gift cards to the end of August. (I'm on their email distribution as community director. and this is very new news)
Wish I had read this before I drove (it's 30 miles each way) to my SM to get one last batch before they turned into pumpkins. Serves me right.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by coolguy100
I used my declined card of yesterday less than 24 hours and went though....so it is calendar day reset, not rolling 24 hours.
It is calendar day, and I think it's a policy, not a system hardcode.

As far as declines, my experience is that all the CC companies have AI systems that learn your usage pattern. (I used to work on the same team for a huge software company that wrote that software, although I worked on insurance, not banking.) The first few weeks the card might get declined, but eventually the system will learn that you're making large purchases at Simon and that they're legit.
coolguy100 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by golfr
They are selling like hot cakes. My mall is out of gc's. Wow.
Nope, plenty of VGCs in South Cali and South Florida malls. I never buy more than 3 or 4. They even told me if I wanted more. She had at least 100 in her bag to sell.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:24 am

Anyone else get an email from Simon about online order discount codes and notice that they didn't blind the other email addresses? Looking at a list of a few hundred random stranger emails...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:31 am

Yup got it too. Took it as a who's who of MS

They replied and apologized ... maybe they'll give us some discount as a result (yeah right).

I'm just hoping the Amex RAT team wasn't one of those addresses.....
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by SideShowBob
I'm just hoping the Amex RAT team wasn't one of those addresses.....
I wonder how many bonus MRs one could earn by forwarding that list on the to RATs at Am3x?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I love Simon, but this is one stupid and pointless policy.
It's not uncommon for credit card companies to decline large purchases, and have you call in or verify that it's a legit purchase on your app.
Not sure why Simon doesn't let customers clear the initial declines, and then retry with the same card.
I know I can use a different card, but usually I'm trying to achieve one particular goal with a large purchase, so an alternate card won't work...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
It's not uncommon for credit card companies to decline large purchases, and have you call in or verify that it's a legit purchase on your app.
Not sure why Simon doesn't let customers clear the initial declines, and then retry with the same card.
I know I can use a different card, but usually I'm trying to achieve one particular goal with a large purchase, so an alternate card won't work...
it’s not a hard coded policy.

Last edited by Chelski; Nov 18, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Originally Posted by Chelski

it’s not a hard coded policy. Develop the right relationships and more likely to be allowed to continue. Although with millions done through Simon I’ve only had one issue with the processing and was able to continue. I’ve never “conditioned” a card. If given a $20k credit limit I’d spend $10k at Simon on day 1.. of course depending on card and worthiness of pts/cb/miles
Completely agree with bostonbali. And if they've seen you verify the purchase via phone or text in front of them, you would think that transaction would be more secure!

I have a pretty good relationship with my mall and the few times I've had declines, they've never let me retry that card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.