Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Made a trip over to Simon Mall yesterday to pick up a handful and after discussion with the very nice lady behind the desk, I learned a few things.

1) She said she expects this to become permanent. (Nothing new I know, but first time I heard it from a rep)
2) As silly as it sounds, and unsubstantiated too, she said there was a rumor about setting up some sort of money order service. Sounds interesting but I feel like something like that would shut down this whole operation real quick.
3) She mentioned that her location is perfectly fine preparing your 10k/25k gift cards ahead of time if you call in, making the process a whole lot quicker when you're ready to pay.
Tpa-flyer and gm9928 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:04 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Simon Mall has extended the $1000 gift cards thru the end of Oct. I received the information directly from their corporate offices.

And thank you so much for sharing it here as breaking news.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Burton Codh, I appreciate your thoughts regarding my situation. Very kind of you. What's clear to both of us is my SM is just far enough away to reasonably tip the scales toward not bothering with it. Or, if I ramp up my purchases enough, the personal gain in the long run might justify the time and effort. Today my husband and I made the drive. We browsed around the mall for a while and had lunch at the food court, but even with spending an afternoon together, which is always nice, I'm not convinced I'll be a regular. It's just a huge time commitment for us. The very nice customer service rep at the desk/kiosk, was very very nice, efficient, and professional. I did have to fill out a form, but I expected that.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Burton Codh, I appreciate your thoughts regarding my situation. Very kind of you. What's clear to both of us is my SM is just far enough away to reasonably tip the scales toward not bothering with it. Or, if I ramp up my purchases enough, the personal gain in the long run might justify the time and effort. Today my husband and I made the drive. We browsed around the mall for a while and had lunch at the food court, but even with spending an afternoon together, which is always nice, I'm not convinced I'll be a regular. It's just a huge time commitment for us. The very nice customer service rep at the desk/kiosk, was very very nice, efficient, and professional. I did have to fill out a form, but I expected that.
Did your husband do a 10k purchase also? Our SM is about an hour away, all highway. Started taking DW and the kids a few years ago to SM. No sales tax on clothes in the SM state, where as our states charges 6.35%.. We all got our 10k, kids too. Bought clothes for the kids. Win-Win. Now just DW and I go to SM and get 25k each.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:28 am

That sounds like a completely sane strategy, gw14! Gotta love the absence of the sales tax perk, too! Yep, both hubby and I purchased gc's, and today we'll liquidate them. Still, upon awakening this morning, the whole exercise, because of the distance and time factor, felt a bit foolish. I'm sure I'll eventually get over that, but for now, it's a hard sell even to myself.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
...Still, upon awakening this morning, the whole exercise, because of the distance and time factor, felt a bit foolish. I'm sure I'll eventually get over that, but for now, it's a hard sell even to myself.
Just wait until you try to actually use those miles/points for a redemption you want. It'll feel a whole lot more foolish then when you realize that most programs have devalued so much over the past couple years, this only makes sense for the bloggers hyping the credit cards...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Just wait until you try to actually use those miles/points for a redemption you want. It'll feel a whole lot more foolish then when you realize that most programs have devalued so much over the past couple years, this only makes sense for the bloggers hyping the credit cards...
Oh, for sure, the devaluations certainly give a person pause, don't they!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

Cash rewards are king, baby!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by ngupta
I called few SM in the area but none of them are aware of $1K product. Strange?
Anyone has any luck recently? Thanks

Update: Was able to obtain some today.
I have bought them at both Philly Premium Outlets and King of Prussia.

When they first went on sale, I called PPO and the CSR didn't know about them, but then the manager called me back and left a message that the CSR just hadn't been told yet.

If they got into the MO business, it would be absolutely nuts. Probably like everyone else, I think that if it's too good to be true, it probably is - that eventually the whole house of cards would collapse.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:42 pm

I've been out of the MS game for over 2 yrs, but just picked up my first new CC that requires a $3k spend within the first 90 days -- it'll be to get 125k IHG points by using a Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier CC. I am aware of the devaluation of the annual free night, and the redemption amount for many hotels increasing, but this should still get me at least 6 hotel stays at various Holiday Inn Express locations for a single $89 annual fee.

Anyway, purchasing 3 $1k Simon Mall GCs appears to be a quick and straight-forward way to achieve the spend (I'm in metro-PHX and a mall is very close). My question is in regards to the liquidation of the $1k GC's. I've gotten MOs from WM as recent as a few months ago, but they're capped at $700 (if I recall correctly). Can I use the same Simon GC to procure multiple money orders? Not on the same visit, mind you. Or is there a more optimum liquidation method that's arisen?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dizcards
I've been out of the MS game for over 2 yrs, but just picked up my first new CC that requires a $3k spend within the first 90 days -- it'll be to get 125k IHG points by using a Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier CC. I am aware of the devaluation of the annual free night, and the redemption amount for many hotels increasing, but this should still get me at least 6 hotel stays at various Holiday Inn Express locations for a single $89 annual fee.

Anyway, purchasing 3 $1k Simon Mall GCs appears to be a quick and straight-forward way to achieve the spend (I'm in metro-PHX and a mall is very close). My question is in regards to the liquidation of the $1k GC's. I've gotten MOs from WM as recent as a few months ago, but they're capped at $700 (if I recall correctly). Can I use the same Simon GC to procure multiple money orders? Not on the same visit, mind you. Or is there a more optimum liquidation method that's arisen?
Yes you can. I have done that.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Dizcards

If the WM will take the SMGC's at all, you should be able to liquidate them all in one trip. If your transaction is $1K or more you will have to show ID, no big deal. There is some value around $3000 at which they usually put your name in the book - again, it's not a big deal, it won't get you blacklisted or have the FBI knocking on your door.

I've been buying $996.05 GC's and using 3 of them per day to but MO's, with no adverse effects. Max amount for a WM MO is $1000.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:19 am

Thanks very much for the info, and good call on the $996.05 vs. $1,000 flat option!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:47 am

Spaghetti against the wall, but: is there a business idea here?

1. X, who lives in Simon-deprived area, adds Y as AU on X's credit card.
2. Y uses AU card to purchase GCs at his local Simon property, and overnights to X for liquidation.
3. X compensates Y for his/her services.

Obviously, X would have to trust Y not to mis-use the AU card.
Tpa-flyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Spaghetti against the wall, but: is there a business idea here?

1. X, who lives in Simon-deprived area, adds Y as AU on X's credit card.
2. Y uses AU card to purchase GCs at his local Simon property, and overnights to X for liquidation.
3. X compensates Y for his/her services.

Obviously, X would have to trust Y not to mis-use the AU card.
A lot of variables there.
Are the points earned worth enough to you once the cost of overnight shipping and compensation for person Y is factored in? And I’d suggest a Priority Mail flat rate envelope for shipping. It’s 2-3 day delivery for $7.35. Overnight is going to be 2-3x that.
Tpa-flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.