Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Spaghetti against the wall, but: is there a business idea here?

1. X, who lives in Simon-deprived area, adds Y as AU on X's credit card.
2. Y uses AU card to purchase GCs at his local Simon property, and overnights to X for liquidation.
3. X compensates Y for his/her services.

Obviously, X would have to trust Y not to mis-use the AU card.
I would be up for buying cards. I live ~15miles from 2 Simon malls but can't liquidate more than like 2 cards a month lol. One thing I'd be worried about is the Simon ppl taking down my DL (and SS#?) w/every large purchase. Triggering a random tax audit would not be worth it.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by royallyflushed
I would be up for buying cards. I live ~15miles from 2 Simon malls but can't liquidate more than like 2 cards a month lol. One thing I'd be worried about is the Simon ppl taking down my DL (and SS#?) w/every large purchase. Triggering a random tax audit would not be worth it.
FWIW, I am a regular Simon-head, fill out form every visit. The form is NOT a "suspicious activity" type report, it only captures basic information (DL or ID number but NOT SSN*). This form is not going to trigger an IRS exam.

* At the 10k level, as noted by Chelski below.

Last edited by tuphat; Sep 1, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by DBFL

A lot of variables there.
Are the points earned worth enough to you once the cost of overnight shipping and compensation for person Y is factored in? And I’d suggest a Priority Mail flat rate envelope for shipping. It’s 2-3 day delivery for $7.35. Overnight is going to be 2-3x that.
Back of the envelope with conservative numbers: $10k purchase using a 2% CB card would be $200 gross. Subtract $40 of GC fees and $10 mailing, that leaves $150 before buyer comp and liquidation costs. Maybe I am naive, but I think that the parties could come to some reasonable amount of comp for the buyer, esp. if buyer had very easy access to Simon, time on his/her hands, etc.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:05 pm

would need to have a considerable volume to make this sustainable....my $0.02
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:22 pm

FWIW, I am a regular Simon-head, fill out form every visit. The form is NOT a "suspicious activity" type report, it only captures basic information (DL or ID number but NOT SSN). This form is not going to trigger an IRS exam.
Y M M V

Last edited by Chelski; Nov 18, 2019 at 7:25 pm
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:50 am

Back of the envelope with conservative numbers: $10k purchase using a 2% CB card would be $200 gross. Subtract $40 of GC fees and $10 mailing, that leaves $150 before buyer comp and liquidation costs. Maybe I am naive, but I think that the parties could come to some reasonable amount of comp for the buyer, esp. if buyer had very easy access to Simon, time on his/her hands, etc.
If you’re just talking CB cards, the numbers make sense as long as two things are true. First is that you don’t have access to Simon yourself. Second is that you have to really, really trust the purchaser.
If both are true, you should maximize the return by going for the $25k max purchase. Based on your math, which is definitely a little bit conservative, you’d get $390 before buyer comp and liquidation (since you’re only paying one mailing fee). This is assuming that you’d be paying the buyer a flat fee per trip. You’d probably want the buyer to change the pin on each card before mailing. Or text pictures of the cards so you could do so yourself.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by royallyflushed
From what I have seen, I do notice at my Simon mall that they do have a sheet of paper that has a ban list on people they will not sell Simon VGCs to. My guess is that in the past those individuals must have been reported as using stolen cards or somehow the Simon VGCs may have been used in the wrong way and Simon received word of that. Whatever the reason is they have a list of people they no longer sell Simon VGCs to. Think of the form as them having a way to trace back to you if you ever did anything intentionally nefarious that would give them a reason to not want to do business with you anymore. I doubt if it is used for tax purposes.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:48 am

Is anybody using P N C premier traveler CC to buy GCs at Simon?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Is anybody using P N C premier traveler CC to buy GCs at Simon?
Yes, I am.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Spaghetti against the wall, but: is there a business idea here?

1. X, who lives in Simon-deprived area, adds Y as AU on X's credit card.
2. Y uses AU card to purchase GCs at his local Simon property, and overnights to X for liquidation.
3. X compensates Y for his/her services.

Obviously, X would have to trust Y not to mis-use the AU card.
It's hard for me to imagine trusting someone enough to let them charge $25K to my card.

I've worked through the math, and buying 3 cards at a time (hence no shipping) from giftcardmall.com via Rakuten with the extra Rakuten 1% is almost as profitable as buying $1K at a SM. In my analysis I count the 1% from Rakuten as 1.4% because I assume it's taken in Amex MR points, which I value at 1.4 cents.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
It's hard for me to imagine trusting someone enough to let them charge $25K to my card.
This is by far the biggest issue I see.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by redtop43

I've worked through the math, and buying 3 cards at a time (hence no shipping) from giftcardmall.com via Rakuten with the extra Rakuten 1% is almost as profitable as buying $1K at a SM. In my analysis I count the 1% from Rakuten as 1.4% because I assume it's taken in Amex MR points, which I value at 1.4 cents.
Wouldn't GCM be considerably cheaper after the 1% rebate even ignoring the MR point premium? $17.85 in fees less $15 rebate = $2.85 for $1,500 vs $3.95 for $1,000? Liquidation is faster/easier with larger cards, but the availability of $500 cards for <$1 means means I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium to obtain $1k cards above the standard Simon fee, even ignoring any additional risks.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Burton Codh
Wouldn't GCM be considerably cheaper after the 1% rebate even ignoring the MR point premium? $17.85 in fees less $15 rebate = $2.85 for $1,500 vs $3.95 for $1,000? Liquidation is faster/easier with larger cards, but the availability of $500 cards for <$1 means means I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium to obtain $1k cards above the standard Simon fee, even ignoring any additional risks.
Perhaps, but you are buying $1500 at a time vs $25000. So it would take about 17 GCM (of $1500 each) orders to get what you'd get from one Simon order.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:36 am

Correct, I'm just trying to figure out the "almost as profitable" piece of his analysis to confirm I'm not missing something. Ignoring the volume issue it seems like GCM gives you a higher rate of return but considering it then SM is a clear winner.

Last edited by Burton Codh; Sep 3, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Burton Codh
Correct, I'm just trying to figure out the "almost as profitable" piece of his analysis to confirm I'm not missing something.
GCM has monthly limits. If you’re hitting those limits, being able to purchase $25k in a day is very useful. Also, the $25k is available to liquidate immediately. No waiting for processing or mailing. Is the margin lower on Simon? Yes, but if you’re doing enough volume where you’re buying $10-25k at a time, Simon is a damn good option. It’s about volume at that point. If you’re buying $1500 at a time, 3x$500 from GCM is better for you.
ChrisFlyer66 and TyPo311 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.