Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ogg
Go to the post office and put your mail on a vacation hold. The post office will keep the packages for you until you return. Or get an address at a UPS store or similar firm--they'll keep your mail safely too.
OP was talking about placing an order while abroad, and asking if Simon's system would allow a foreign IP to place orders.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
More issues

1) 2 SMGC failed in 3 repeated swipes in local grocery albertsons where nothing ever failed before. The cards run fine with pin to buy groceries in regular checkout pinpad.
2) bought 2 metabank at the albertsons and they failed too. POS system update?

Also SMGC balance website not working intermittent
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:39 pm
jk2

This is not Simon related, but Meta GC from GCM/OD didn't work today at WM for MO - got 05 error. Simon 1K gc has worked.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
This is not Simon related, but Meta GC from GCM/OD didn't work today at WM for MO - got 05 error. Simon 1K gc has worked.
Strange, I finally had a day were every card worked. I used 1k SGC from the mall, 200 GC from OD, and 100 MC from Safeway.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:27 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by ketelone
Another datapoint for the folks here. I had 1 card that had failed on 2 different occasions and another that failed 3 times (different walmarts).
1) This week took card #1 to same walmart but used it at a gas station outside with pin and ran fine. Went in and ran fine.
2) card #2 failed 3 swipes AGAIN in another walmart. Ran fine on first try at a nearby grocer.

Here is my game plan from now on. Always keep backup cards with me. If a card fails first swipe, no repeat, try different. If 2 failures occur, make excuse, leave store. Don't want a habit of having 3 failures in a row as easily lead to cashier remembering you or asking to see the card (already happened at a store where she was curious to see what card I was using).
Take failed cards to the grocery store (where its a hit or miss as sometimes they ask to see card). Another issue is the grocery store in question charges $3 for every 1000$ money order (1.5$ per 500$ mo). So cost goes up much more than walmart but i think its just cost of doing business now.
Yes, my game plan for flipping coins is similar. If I want heads and a coin comes up tails three times, I put it away and try another coin because there simply must be something wrong with that coin. My method works! I usually don't get tails three times in a row on the next coin!

Seriously, there's a random glitch in processing these cards. It's not restricting to WM. No one knows what causes it. But we do know that it has nothing to do with the specific card used. It's superstitious to think that the card is bad in some way. Your chance of having that card work on the next swipe is the same as having a different Simon card work on the next swipe. It's random.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:30 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
OP was talking about placing an order while abroad, and asking if Simon's system would allow a foreign IP to place orders.
Sure. But bottom line the OP wanted to return from Mexico and know that his Simon order was safe until then and available on his return. Putting a vacation hold or using a UPS store box solves that problem.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:32 pm

Yeah, I've noticed the cards fail about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 times. It doesn't matter if you switch cards. Each one is an independent event.

Anyone who has played games of chance, or just spent time flipping coins or rolling dice, sees "runs" of certain events. You might have one card fail three times in a row or several cards work without any erroring out.

The important thing to pay attention to is that Walmart payment terminals will error out if you fail too many times with the same card. I've run into this before with incorrect PINs/improperly inputted MCGC before. I believe you are allowed 3 failed swipes from one card before the register rejects the transaction.

Bring extra cards, bring a spare debit card, whatever makes you feel more secure. But just try to avoid locking up the terminal.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
Sure. But bottom line the OP wanted to return from Mexico and know that his Simon order was safe until then and available on his return. Putting a vacation hold or using a UPS store box solves that problem.
Uh no, re-read their post again. That's NOT what they're asking. They want to know if placing an order FROM Mexico is possible.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:41 am
ogg

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Uh no, re-read their post again. That's NOT what they're asking. They want to know if placing an order FROM Mexico is possible.
He said he wanted his order to arrive around the time he arrived back in the US. I assumed that meant he didn't want a package lying around when he was away and that was the main issue behind his question.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:22 am

I've been told that it's possible to get SMGC with your name printed on them. How is this possible? Every time I order they just say CARD RECIPIENT on them.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
I've been told that it's possible to get SMGC with your name printed on them. How is this possible? Every time I order they just say CARD RECIPIENT on them.
When you order online are you adding your name under the Your Message Line 1 field? That is where you can personalized the VGCs with your name.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:15 pm

Are mall offices only open for gift card sales on weekdays?
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Are mall offices only open for gift card sales on weekdays?
At my SM, only weekdays 9-5.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Chasepoints
At my SM, only weekdays 9-5.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I'll call tomorrow just to be sure.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Tectomoc
Yeah, I've noticed the cards fail about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 times. It doesn't matter if you switch cards. Each one is an independent event.

Anyone who has played games of chance, or just spent time flipping coins or rolling dice, sees "runs" of certain events. You might have one card fail three times in a row or several cards work without any erroring out.

The important thing to pay attention to is that Walmart payment terminals will error out if you fail too many times with the same card. I've run into this before with incorrect PINs/improperly inputted MCGC before. I believe you are allowed 3 failed swipes from one card before the register rejects the transaction.

Bring extra cards, bring a spare debit card, whatever makes you feel more secure. But just try to avoid locking up the terminal.
I think the max number of swipes at WM is 8. 4 forms of payment accepted, but 8 attempts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.