Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by dfinkel91
has anyone recently had issues using giftcards.com VGCs at Walmart for MO recently? I just got errors at two different Walmart’s even though I double checked that they were activated and had no issues using other VGCs purchased at WM.
I didn't see issues with using GCC MCs at WM with the cancel/change payment to debit trick as of March 9. Check wiki to see how it's done and see if it'll work for you.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I didn't see issues with using GCC MCs at WM with the cancel/change payment to debit trick as of March 9. Check wiki to see how it's done and see if it'll work for you.
These were visas. Have never needed to use the MC trick with them in the past. Thanks for the input.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:52 am
Suspended

These were visas. Have never needed to use the MC trick with them in the past. Thanks for the input.
If you were doing multi swipes, alot of times the csr doesnt input say $500 so when you swipe the computer wants to deduct the whole amount that you want for the MO, say $1k but since theres only $500 on it , it gets declined.

Now sometimes its an honest mistake or the csr doesnt know how to properly key it in. Most times I found its simply that csrs way to say No, knowing that you are using what you are trying to use. Ive been lucky sometimes and other times not after asking if the keyed in 500 , some dont being called onto the carpet or admit they dont know what they are doing while others will say OMG I didnt no wonder it didnt go thru

If they give you a stare like a deer looking into oncoming headlights, simply say I will go call the bank and see whats up wish them a good day and drive to the next WM and get the MO there
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:57 am

has anyone recently had issues using giftcards.com VGCs at Walmart for MO recently? I just got errors at two different Walmart’s even though I double checked that they were activated and had no issues using other VGCs purchased at WM.
Bau, last dp last night.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Just for the record, this is NOT my local store or my go to Wally. I have been to this Wally 2 times in my entire life. If they ban me from ever going back there, I literally loose nothing. But I was tooo mad about this person just pushing the limits. I do not think I ll go back to this store in at least 6 months, if not longer (when I get to go back to this place for business). Good thing I now have a picture of this person with his backpack and his tons and tons of VGCs. Maybe someone in the area knows him, LOL, as he seems to be a regular.
you need to grow up. You have no greater right than the next person. If the Walmart is friendly and allows me to buy 1,000 genius, open them and buy MOs then so be it. Only fools wouldn’t want to do this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Since late last year my WM will only let me do one MO transaction per day, letting me liquidate only 2K / day. That still works for me, I'd like to be able to do more to save on gas, but it works. The advantage is that it keeps whales at bay and keeps my WM sustainable, so I'll take it anyday.
about half the WMs that restricted to $2k/day have gone to one card or no genius. It’s really just a sign of what’s to come.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:29 pm

I haven't had any issues at WM. But at a local grocery store it took four swipe before the gc.com MCGC would authorize. This has happened multiple times where it would take anywhere from 2 to 4 swipes to authorize.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:30 pm

just a thought - did you note the pin when activating? they aren't last 4 like metas iirc. you can change to whatever you want.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Well the last friendly Walmart in San Diego just shut us down. Only cash or debit cards linked to your bank account are allowed for buying MO. They said it is a loss-prevention measure.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Well the last friendly Walmart in San Diego just shut us down. Only cash or debit cards linked to your bank account are allowed for buying MO. They said it is a loss-prevention measure.
BAU in Chicagoland and Indy metro areas. There was only one store that asked for ID to match to debit card, so I used my Discover debit. She had never seen that before and was all excited and wanted to get one too. The next day, the same clerk recognized me and didn't care which card I used but limited to two swipes.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:18 pm

I am surprised not all WMs are going this route.

My WM that always gebits, some customers look shady, if you know what I mean, and yet they allow gebits!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I am surprised not all WMs are going this route.

My WM that always gebits, some customers look shady, if you know what I mean, and yet they allow gebits!
I think most of us MSers in San Diego had a good relationship with the cashiers and CSMs at the money center. They knew what we were doing and why, and didn't mind. Some of them were doing it themselves (after their shift) and asked us for tips. I think they prefer dealing with us compared these people they get walking in with incomplete paperwork and big wad of cash to send to someone they barely know in Turkmenistan or Laos.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:51 pm

New Policy

Now in So Cal, it's limit to one transaction in one receipt per day. Looks every store is following the policy.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:55 pm

I think most of us MSers in San Diego had a good relationship with the cashiers and CSMs at the money center. They knew what we were doing and why, and didn't mind. Some of them were doing it themselves (after their shift) and asked us for tips. I think they prefer dealing with us compared these people they get walking in with incomplete paperwork and big wad of cash to send to someone they barely know in Turkmenistan or Laos.
yeah, I think this is the case at my go to WM.

it gets them foot traffic, and most of the time, I end up getting something. Though there are times, I just get an MO.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by hickson
Now in So Cal, it's limit to one transaction in one receipt per day. Looks every store is following the policy.
Where in SoCal are you? I can't even do one transaction anymore at most Walmarts in San Diego.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Jul 27, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.