Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
it could've been worse if you provided false information when they asked for your ID and key in fat fingered social. afaik, cashiers are the ones who initiate these eMSARs, if all cashiers in a particular store does this, most likely they're under MG probation.

now, you can find other recycling centers that won't file SARs on you for any amount MOs/BP and if there's none, you can just wait for the time they will stop this practice at your WM.

check post #921 in this thread with a link shared by @jtav559; pay close attention to pages 15 thru 18.
mami, thanks for referencing as I’ve been traveling.. the document is quite funny.. I know the MG pin at one of my WMs.. basically their list of what not to do is exactly what WM does.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

a friendly reminder to newbies that unless you're adept with this sleight of hand tactic where you switch VGCs to swipe after showing cashier a bank DC. it takes just one observant cashier to bust you when they notice you switched cards and they can prove it with the last 4 of card number(s) printed on the receipt.

best not to do this for those with only one recycle center that you can't afford to lose if you get busted. No such thing as never when doing MS.
works best with similar color cards
Old May 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United & IHG
Originally Posted by rvandeut
I’m getting back into it after a long break. Thank you for this thread!!!! I started off slow and bought 1 gift card at Simon mall and went to get a MO today. No issues. No extra signing, no extra information needed, just simple in and out. So I just bought 2 gift cards now and, when they arrive, will see if they give any issues or ask any extras with a two swipe money order working my way back into the game and slowly seeing what my local walleyworld will permit without feedback
Went to the closest Walleywold today and did one MO with two gift cards. No questions, extra information or anything extra required I hope it doesn’t change!
Old May 25, 2018, 8:56 pm

Getting more and more difficult at Walmart. I have to be careful and not get too many cards.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Getting more and more difficult at Walmart. I have to be careful and not get too many cards.
City and state?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
remarks like this are pretty useless unless the name of the state or general area is provided
Old May 25, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
remarks like this are pretty useless unless the name of the state or general area is provided
most of the remarks are pretty useless. It's either the sky is falling or business as usual.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by briang191

most of the remarks are pretty useless. It's either the sky is falling or business as usual.
agreed. I have just unloaded 4K yesterday at 4 different Walmart (lots of them around here)... in one case they wouldn’t split tender (but no problem paying with gift card). In another, no gift cards (not first time that happens, seems YMMV). Other two Walmart, no problems. Just know your Walmart and you’ll be fine!
Old May 26, 2018, 4:47 pm

from posts I've read, their WMs quit accepting all forms of prepaid GCs for MOs/BPs and cashiers were instructed to scrutinize DCs before they were swiped at the register. there is also one DP on reddit of her WM in the midwest but did not specify her actual store.

MSers should realize we're walking on thin ice right now and plan accordingly.
Additionally, IME enforcement of store policies come and go depending on the volume and or shadyness of MSers in a given area. Last fall a go to WM of mine stopped allowing VGCs for any MC services which was upheld by the majority of the CSRs, but as of this month it seems to be BAU. Sometimes you just gotta let it cool down for a bit and hope the troublesome people in this hobby go elsewhere
Old May 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82

Just know your Walmart and you’ll be fine!
Better yet - know your cashier. I have one WM where one of the cashiers allows only 1 VGC per transaction, one cashier that allows only 2 VGCs per transaction and the rest allow 4 VGCs.
Out of those that allow 4 VGCs one insists that "all the cards must be from the same bank" (she doesn't care if they are GCs or not, so I am glad that in her eyes Metabank cards are "from the same bank"). And this is all in the same WM. I already know what to expect from each of them and make my transactions accordingly.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:37 pm

I'm addicted to MS. Like not just jokingly, but really addicted. I have struggled with addiction to various thing my entire life. I am an alcoholic. WM cracking down is really hitting me hard. I probably have the most rural Simon mall in the nation, and I live right across the street from it. Each money order I buy is like crack to me. It's literally never enough. The Simon girls are cute, but they are so visibly annoyed by my presence. WM straight up thinks I'm a criminal. I do love greasing the groove by giving them real debit cards though. The look of disappointment they give me is almost as satisfying as liquidating.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous99
I'm addicted to MS. Like not just jokingly, but really addicted. I have struggled with addiction to various thing my entire life. I am an alcoholic. WM cracking down is really hitting me hard. I probably have the most rural Simon mall in the nation, and I live right across the street from it. Each money order I buy is like crack to me. It's literally never enough. The Simon girls are cute, but they are so visibly annoyed by my presence. WM straight up thinks I'm a criminal. I do love greasing the groove by giving them real debit cards though. The look of disappointment they give me is almost as satisfying as liquidating.
Welcome to MS Anonymous Club
anonymous99 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:04 pm

My name is Java Cool Dude and I too am an addict :'(
anonymous99 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:07 am

With such hidden drama, I will never look at my drab WM experience the same way ever again.
anonymous99 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:23 am

I'm addicted to MS.
Aren't we all.
anonymous99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.