Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Not exactly. I'm suggesting that after I get to Cancel, cashier can be entering amount at the same time that I am completing my side of the transaction for this swipe. Simultaneous activity, as opposed to strictly sequential.
Feel free to update the wiki.

I say "I am going to pay 500 at a time and I need to swipe my card before you hit enter on the amount" and that seems to work.

Are there any terminals that still use the "change payment" button? I only see "cancel" on the little screen these days.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:03 pm

I know this ymmw, but my go to WM is dead at least for now. CSRs were checking IDs and CSMs know GCC MCGCs are GCs even with my name on it.

They had a MG audit!

Beware!

Make sure you have a secondary location.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Actually, you just have to enter your PIN and submit before they hit enter on their side. Doesn't matter when they start keying in the amount.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I know this ymmw, but my go to WM is dead at least for now. CSRs were checking IDs and CSMs know GCC MCGCs are GCs even with my name on it.

They had a MG audit!

Beware!

How about giving your location? Thanks
Old May 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
How about giving your location? Thanks
SE MI
Old May 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

They had a MG audit!

Beware!

Ouch. That's bad news for me, even tho we're on opposite ends of the area. I'll have to do some testing, I've been really light on MS this year, but need to ramp up some for the second half of the year.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA gold
I just want to say a store being audited is not a new thing. Experienced before 2 years ago.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
I just want to say a store being audited is not a new thing. Experienced before 2 years ago.
how long until they allowed GCs again?

with new staff?
Old May 22, 2018, 8:03 pm

with new staff?
i would think you would need to be patient and wait for the tide to turn.
maybe 1 yr or more or maybe when managerial staff turnover

one of my WMs also stopped allowing multiswipes after being audited by MG a few months ago.
still status quo.

was yours allowing MOs >2k per day? this is usually the trigger to get audited bc of the volume that pass through each day esp when u r not the only person in town doing it.

1 person = 10K MO is OK and falls under radar, but it is not the same when there is sufficiently large N persons involved doing the same thing as you.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey

1 person = 10K MO is OK and falls under radar, but it is not the same when there is sufficiently large N persons involved doing the same thing as you.
come down, no racism is allowed here
Old May 22, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
come down, no racism is allowed here
Huh?! what is offensive abt what I wrote? I was stating facts and my conjecture

The only thing i notice wrong abt the statement is the tenses used - sufficiently large N people. or better, sufficiently large number of people

The gist is my WM was shut down bc there are too many people doing too large of a MO volume per day, and eventually this cumulative volume caught someone's attention at the higher ups, leading to the MG audit. Even the WM manager said so himself, so right now he actually still allows us to do it, but only one swipe per person per day. What I am trying to say is I dont think the same outcome would have happened if there is only 1 person in town doing it.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

Apparently, both racism and sarcasm are disallowed here.
devastitis likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Huh?! what is offensive abt what I wrote? I was stating facts and my conjecture

The only thing i notice wrong abt the statement is the tenses used - sufficiently large N people. or better, sufficiently large number of people

The gist is my WM was shut down bc there are too many people doing too large of a MO volume per day, and eventually this cumulative volume caught someone's attention at the higher ups, leading to the MG audit. Even the WM manager said so himself, so right now he actually still allows us to do it, but only one swipe per person per day. What I am trying to say is I dont think the same outcome would have happened if there is only 1 person in town doing it.
what a bunch of snowflakes
Old May 23, 2018, 7:01 am

with new staff?
from discussions I've read, it's really up to MG when they will remove a particular store in their list of stores on probation. Even if a store is lenient, it is MG that calls the shots and have threatened to remove the store's license if they do not comply with their policies. Therefore, once your store is removed from the list, your WM may loosen a bit but don't set expectations too high since MG will continue to monitor stores with high volume of MO and BP.

So far, aside from SE MI, MSP MN has also been identified as areas where these audits are ongoing and MS has been very challenging; I'm sure there are other stores on their probation list that may be added.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:20 am

I was being sarcastic because every WM is different and some (very few) allow gift cards transactions by N people for many years now. Maybe they don’t care what MG says but every time I’m there CSRs are eager to sell you one. Whereas only few miles away different WM has the most strictest rules for MO transactions of them all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.