Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I'm one of the first users who reported the new system a couple of weeks ago with the "gift certificate" on it plus the extra receipt. I keep reading they are asking for DL or ID but I don't have that issue on my local Wally for my regular 2x$999.30. So far no problem printing the MO, but I noticed they have to click (confirm?) on the screen after my last (4th) swipe to get the MO.

Can anyone confirm is possible more than 4 swipes on the same transaction? TIA
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by fedechat
I'm one of the first users who reported the new system a couple of weeks ago with the "gift certificate" on it plus the extra receipt. I keep reading they are asking for DL or ID but I don't have that issue on my local Wally for my regular 2x$999.30. So far no problem printing the MO, but I noticed they have to click (confirm?) on the screen after my last (4th) swipe to get the MO.

I can't confirm but what I can say is that the clerk asked that I do this next time I go in, she told me that it was better to buy 1 at $2k and do the 4 swipes after I bought 1 at $1k and said I'd like to buy another with the same process. That's never happened before. I will try this next time I go.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
I just checked the VGCs later when I got to my computer. That was the deal I had with the Manager at Wally (I had called to check balance when at the store), so I separated both VGCs and left them on my desk, as I knew those were the ones used when the machine crashed and froze.

I think that for now, split transactions are going to have to wait until Wally gets this new system together, as I do not want to keep having problems. Love to lay low and not push it, as that is why I only buy one x $1,000 MO after work.
You mean to say 2 swipes of 2 $500 for 1 MO of $1k?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by fedechat

My central Ohio store just got the new system. I passed up a MC clerk I never say for one I knew. She was shocked (flattered?) that I waited for her. Told her I like doing business with someone I know. She immediately said she must enter all MO amts at once, up to 10 MOs. I asked if more than 4 swipes will be accepted. None of the clerks, including the yellow vest knew. Asked for just 2 $1k's (4 swipes) to be safe. Clerk screwed up the new system then did it the old way. I asked if they want to try another transaction for more than 4 swipes. OK, but I would have to fill out a form w/SSN if buying over $3k. Just bought another 1x$1k. Was handed my MO and a slip to sign,
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:14 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by rxgeek
My central Ohio store just got the new system. I passed up a MC clerk I never say for one I knew. She was shocked (flattered?) that I waited for her. Told her I like doing business with someone I know. She immediately said she must enter all MO amts at once, up to 10 MOs. I asked if more than 4 swipes will be accepted. None of the clerks, including the yellow vest knew. Asked for just 2 $1k's (4 swipes) to be safe. Clerk screwed up the new system then did it the old way. I asked if they want to try another transaction for more than 4 swipes. OK, but I would have to fill out a form w/SSN if buying over $3k. Just bought another 1x$1k. Was handed my MO and a slip to sign,
Is there a way how to guide cashier to use an old system?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Lots
Well that was quick. Within a week the MO policy went from $3k to $2k to 1 swipe. In the same time period the BP policy went from 3 BPs to 1 BP to 1 swipe.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:00 pm

I had my first encounter with so-called "new" system. When I asked for a MO for $900 with 3 swipes of $300, the clerk said "we have the new system for MO now and it allows only 2 swipes". So I asked to make it $600 with 2 swipes instead, which she did. At the end she gave me a slip to sign and said "it's part of the new system".
At my second WM I was buying 2 x $1000 with 4 swipes as usual, and asked the clerk (who has been working there for a number of years and knows me as one of their regulars) when they will be planning to implement the "new system". He said "oh, we are already using a new system since the new year, but it's only new on our side, for you there is no difference". And indeed, at this location it was like before - 4 swipes, no receipts to sign, and he manually input the MO numbers.
So it seems there are almost as many "new systems" as WM stores - from what I read, some WMs implement "one swipe only", others (like my first one today) allow "only two swipes", still others ask for your SS/drivers license/occupation and what not, and still others (like my WM #2 ) do not change anything for customers despite being on the "new system".
So I wonder what's a common denominator here? Or is there one system that can be adjusted according to each WM's desire?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:54 pm
jk2

It seems things are going to change in my WM. Today, my regular cashier (who knows me for 5 years) told me that she cannot do such transactions with me. From her whispering, and "I cannot tell you" phrases, it seems she was warned not to do big transactions with me anymore, or she is afraid of doing transactions with me because "they watch me" and "I have to report you", or something like that. She was very apologetic about it, citing new regulations, Monegram strictness, etc. She told me to try different store or different cashier, and I went to another cashier, did my one BP and 1 MO (just for $499.30, since I didn't want to risk to stuck again after multiple swipes and waiting for CSM).

I admit that long time ago I did with her large transactions (like 4-5 BP, 2k each, 2K MOs, few visa gift cards) few times a week. Nowadays, I mostly do 2 BPs of $2k each, $2k MO and 3 VGCs. I don't know why this cashier was frightened, last time she did something for me was just 1 BP last week. All these failures with MOs I had this week were with other cashiers.

I am just curious is that warning comes from store management or some upper level. Because if it would be complete ban, than all CSMs (I saw 2 of them today) will be aware about it. I know all CSMs in this WMT and nobody said a thing.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jk2
Something wrong with my to-go WMT and their MO's process.

Last week, I did everything as usual, but after last swipe, MOs didn't print. We waited and waited (there is a clock counter on the CSR screen), but nothing happened, so CSM came and aborted transaction. Money were back on the card.

Today, I went again, there was the same thing and MO didn't print. This time was another cashier, she waited, then called CSM, who pressed something and receipt printed, but no MOs. Then she started to process the refund back to my cards - I had to swipe all my 4 cards, entered the PIN. I checked the balance on cards - still zero.

Should I be worried? Why she didn't give me cash?

Another question - do you think MO don't print, because the machine is broken, or CSR should press something, because it is new system?
Had teh same problem last Sun, the mgr said he didnt know if in fact it was going back onto the DC(GC) or not and the person in charge of the cash room isnt in on Sun. told me come back on Mon , told him look it says Im due $1000 and I have an Intl flight on Mon cant come back before 2/1. I understood he wasnt happy handing me $1000 cash in case in the end he was correct and the money went back, Called him Mon morn and he confirmed Im owed $1000 cash and when i get back simply stop in and pick it up. problem was they voided the sale but once it goes thru the money is gone and cant be put back on the GCs, up until they complete the transaction on their end by pressing what they need to they can Void it and the money does goes right back on the GCs.

So hopefully when I get on 2/1 I will have the $1000 in hand

In my csr the printer wasnt working and no body told anyone else, so according to Meta the sale was made and the money cant be returned. Before they press print r whatever is the button to acknowledge the sale is done it can be voided and many times it has with me when they asked to see the cards that were used and see they were GCs and not a DC and compared the #s to make sure what I was now showing them was the actual card used, then since the final button wasnt pressed the $$ went right back on as if no swipe had happened
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by soy
Ever since the new system came in the MO machine is increasingly Out of Order, no doubt because of issues like those upthread
One of my local WMs has been having problems with their MO printer for most of the last half of 2017 and it continues to have problems. In fact, they post signs on the entrance doors notifying people that the MO machine is out. Perhaps the machine is a lemon.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:56 am

Trying to get into the game after reading this tread and the old 2017 one. Is the best way to get VGC's from CVS to buy MO's, or do I need to get them online with my name on the card now for them to be accepted? Seems like there's data points for each, but if possible I'd like to go to my local CVS instead of buying online.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by desal
Trying to get into the game after reading this tread and the old 2017 one. Is the best way to get VGC's from CVS to buy MO's, or do I need to get them online with my name on the card now for them to be accepted? Seems like there's data points for each, but if possible I'd like to go to my local CVS instead of buying online.
re-read the wiki - CVS sells Vanilla variable VGCs, which can only be used for a $49.99 MO at WM and are an inefficient means of MS if you choose to go that route. Some KR will allow MO purchase from Vanilla VGCs, but it’s YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by in4tar
I had my first encounter with so-called "new" system. When I asked for a MO for $900 with 3 swipes of $300, the clerk said "we have the new system for MO now and it allows only 2 swipes". So I asked to make it $600 with 2 swipes instead, which she did. At the end she gave me a slip to sign and said "it's part of the new system".
At my second WM I was buying 2 x $1000 with 4 swipes as usual, and asked the clerk (who has been working there for a number of years and knows me as one of their regulars) when they will be planning to implement the "new system". He said "oh, we are already using a new system since the new year, but it's only new on our side, for you there is no difference". And indeed, at this location it was like before - 4 swipes, no receipts to sign, and he manually input the MO numbers.
So it seems there are almost as many "new systems" as WM stores - from what I read, some WMs implement "one swipe only", others (like my first one today) allow "only two swipes", still others ask for your SS/drivers license/occupation and what not, and still others (like my WM #2 ) do not change anything for customers despite being on the "new system".
So I wonder what's a common denominator here? Or is there one system that can be adjusted according to each WM's desire?
My local WM can use the new or the old system, the cashier have that option. Probably your cashier still using the old system and she think is using the new system. I can't complain with the new system, it take the same amount of time, hopefully it will stay that way
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by desal
You clearly haven't read a thing; probably not even the wiki.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by gumercindo
You mean to say 2 swipes of 2 $500 for 1 MO of $1k?
Correct, 2 swipes of 2 X $500 VGCs plus $0.68 cash for 1 X $1,000 MO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.