Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by TyPo311
Isn't this just the CSR choosing to use the "old" system rather than the new one? I've seen different CSR's switching back and forth between the 2 systems randomly for the past few weeks.
No, this was the new system. The old system still prints out one receipt and the last four digits of each MO have to be entered into the terminal. This was the new system where it takes a really long time for the total to appear on the screen, then both money orders print at the same time, then a long receipt without the MO serial numbers prints out and a smaller receipt with the MO serial numbers prints out as well. The only difference is the small receipt that requires a signature did not print out and the MO's no longer had "Gift Certificate" printed on them.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well that was quick. After two weeks on the new system my WM switched back to the old system. No signatures required and no Gift Certificate printed on the MOs.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have two WM's I use. The one I go to every day is on the old system; they say the new system always freezes up. The other WM, which I go to occasionally, is using the new system.

For whatever reason, the one using the new system used to keep a daily handwritten log of MO's, which the customer had to sign. They don't do that anymore. The log was annoying but it did let me see if anyone else was buying $999.30's, at least earlier in the day than I was.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Both my LAX area WMs have reverted to the original MO system. On a side note, the variable “Baby” flavor VGCS I buy from WM smell like baby powder when I open the package. Kind of weirds me out, but the cards work fine for MOs.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:37 pm

Did my 4 swipes today. 3 went through. The 4th one declined with a "Debit not available" error. I tried 2 more times without luck. So i pulled out my bank card and finish the last $500 transaction and got my MOs. I went home and check the gift card in question. My money was drained and not refunded. I've read several reports of people not getting their money back this way. This is worrisome...Anyone else want to share their similar experience?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by misenlai
Did my 4 swipes today. 3 went through. The 4th one declined with a "Debit not available" error. I tried 2 more times without luck. So i pulled out my bank card and finish the last $500 transaction and got my MOs. I went home and check the gift card in question. My money was drained and not refunded. I've read several reports of people not getting their money back this way. This is worrisome...Anyone else want to share their similar experience?
I had a similar situation a few months ago. I asked for 2 x $1000 MO using 4 x $500 cards, and I always pay MO fee in cash. Three cards went through just fine and the 4th one had "debit not available". I used my normal debit card to complete the transaction, and discovered that $501.40 was debited.
A few days later, in a separate transaction that GC worked just fine. I guess the cashier did not enter MO fee paid in cash separately, so the remainder of the balance (after 3 x $500 cards) was $501.40. A $500 card cannot cover $501.40, thus - "debit not available". Try it in another transaction, see if it works. And check your real debit card - was $500 debited or $501.40 (or whatever the MO fee is in your WM).
Ever since, right before I swipe the last GC, I remind cashiers "and here is the MO fee". Although some of them process the fee even before processing the rest.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
I had a similar situation a few months ago. I asked for 2 x $1000 MO using 4 x $500 cards, and I always pay MO fee in cash. Three cards went through just fine and the 4th one had "debit not available". I used my normal debit card to complete the transaction, and discovered that $501.40 was debited.
A few days later, in a separate transaction that GC worked just fine. I guess the cashier did not enter MO fee paid in cash separately, so the remainder of the balance (after 3 x $500 cards) was $501.40. A $500 card cannot cover $501.40, thus - "debit not available". Try it in another transaction, see if it works. And check your real debit card - was $500 debited or $501.40 (or whatever the MO fee is in your WM).
Ever since, right before I swipe the last GC, I remind cashiers "and here is the MO fee". Although some of them process the fee even before processing the rest.
The post you quoted is obviously not the same situation based on what the poster already posted:
"I went home and check the gift card in question. My money was drained and not refunded."
This is a problem where it drains the $500 but doesn't show as successful on the POS, the $500 sometimes never returns to the gift card, and you will need to work with wm and/or dispute the transaction.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:09 am

Yesterday, I went to WM to load my GB with $500 simon GC. I got a "PAYMENT DECLINED DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE" error the first time and "PAYMENT DECLINED - REASON 51" error second time. I switched to my other card and it went thorugh.
Today I checked the card balance and it shows zero and shows a transaction complete. Do I have to go to WM or call up simon gift card service for the missing $500?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:51 am

Host Timeout Error - Ugh!

Have been a lurker for about a month since starting the MS game. Unfortunately got the (infamous?) Host Timeout error twice in the same transaction last night. Was trying to buy 2 $1000 money orders with 4 wipes of Simon VGCs purchased at mall. First card swiped, and got the debit not available message showing on the terminal screen about 10 seconds later. Didn't think much of it so I tried again with the same card, this time error 51 popped, which I knew from reading here means insufficient fund. So I tried another card and it worked after 10+ seconds of "thinking". Got the same debit not available message for my third card, so I moved to 4th, 5th and 6th card and all 3 went through okay, and transaction completed and I got my two MOs just fine. I didn't ask for cash refund at the end of the transaction cause I thought the transactions with my two failed swipes did not go through and no money was deducted, and I thought this was different from my previous 2 cancelled during mid-transaction situations, when CSRs did issue me cash refund without me even asking. Anyways after getting my receipt I saw the two host timeout errors which I had not previously heard of, I decided to look up the balances at mygift.giftcardmall.com; sure enough, funds for both failed cards were withdrawn with a future date of today, 2/16. I went back to the store and spoke with a CSM. He was very courteous but insisted that the funds were just "Hold amount" and would go back without 3-5 business days. I asked him to count the register to see if it was ahead $1000, but he said debit card transactions could not be "counted" as they are not cash. He said to call the accounting office manager the next day to look up the transaction for more details. So I did this morning after seeing the funds did not go back to the cards. The lady said the store registers were even for the day yesterday and there were no "surpluses". She looked up the transaction and also said that the funds should credit back, probably within 5-7 business days.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this thread on the Host Timeout thing -
  • Looks to me that folks that had similar issues either had the funds instantly refunded or not automatically refunded at all. Is this accurate? Has anybody with the same situation had the funds auto-credited back after X number of business days?
  • The accounting office manager asked me to call 479-277-2643 which is the Home office phone number for Walmart for more details, which I did and was on hold for 90 minutes+ without getting a person to talk to. I then disconnected by accident. Has anybody had success dealing with Home Office and getting them to issue manual refund or at least provide some helpful information (not refund within X number of business days.
  • Any other advice some of the experienced veterans can give me? I have the transaction receipt with the host timeout error message and the names of the cashier helping me, the names of the CSM and accounting office manager that I talked to and will start a documenting down the details with times and names.

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by misenlai
Originally Posted by trueblue84
Yesterday, I went to WM to load my GB with $500 simon GC. I got a "PAYMENT DECLINED DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE" error the first time and "PAYMENT DECLINED - REASON 51" error second time. I switched to my other card and it went thorugh.
Today I checked the card balance and it shows zero and shows a transaction complete. Do I have to go to WM or call up simon gift card service for the missing $500?
Welcome to my company of misery. I wonder if there was some kind of (widespread?) connection issues at WM yesterday evening? Where are you guys located? I am in the NE
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by zephear0
Welcome to my company of misery. I wonder if there was some kind of (widespread?) connection issues at WM yesterday evening? Where are you guys located? I am in the NE
I'm in the midwest (WI)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:02 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by zephear0
Have been a lurker for about a month since starting the MS game. Unfortunately got the (infamous?) Host Timeout error twice in the same transaction last night. Was trying to buy 2 $1000 money orders with 4 wipes of Simon VGCs purchased at mall. First card swiped, and got the debit not available message showing on the terminal screen about 10 seconds later. Didn't think much of it so I tried again with the same card, this time error 51 popped, which I knew from reading here means insufficient fund. So I tried another card and it worked after 10+ seconds of "thinking". Got the same debit not available message for my third card, so I moved to 4th, 5th and 6th card and all 3 went through okay, and transaction completed and I got my two MOs just fine. I didn't ask for cash refund at the end of the transaction cause I thought the transactions with my two failed swipes did not go through and no money was deducted, and I thought this was different from my previous 2 cancelled during mid-transaction situations, when CSRs did issue me cash refund without me even asking. Anyways after getting my receipt I saw the two host timeout errors which I had not previously heard of, I decided to look up the balances at mygift.giftcardmall.com; sure enough, funds for both failed cards were withdrawn with a future date of today, 2/16. I went back to the store and spoke with a CSM. He was very courteous but insisted that the funds were just "Hold amount" and would go back without 3-5 business days. I asked him to count the register to see if it was ahead $1000, but he said debit card transactions could not be "counted" as they are not cash. He said to call the accounting office manager the next day to look up the transaction for more details. So I did this morning after seeing the funds did not go back to the cards. The lady said the store registers were even for the day yesterday and there were no "surpluses". She looked up the transaction and also said that the funds should credit back, probably within 5-7 business days.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this thread on the Host Timeout thing -
  • Looks to me that folks that had similar issues either had the funds instantly refunded or not automatically refunded at all. Is this accurate? Has anybody with the same situation had the funds auto-credited back after X number of business days?
  • The accounting office manager asked me to call 479-277-2643 which is the Home office phone number for Walmart for more details, which I did and was on hold for 90 minutes+ without getting a person to talk to. I then disconnected by accident. Has anybody had success dealing with Home Office and getting them to issue manual refund or at least provide some helpful information (not refund within X number of business days.
  • Any other advice some of the experienced veterans can give me? I have the transaction receipt with the host timeout error message and the names of the cashier helping me, the names of the CSM and accounting office manager that I talked to and will start a documenting down the details with times and names.

Thanks.
my experience with "host timeout" is that money will never go back on the card. talking with WMT does not help, since "declined transaction" does not have a reference number, from their point of view - money should go back. The only way to proceed is to submit a claim with card issuer.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Debit not available / Code 51 glitch

I'm also a victim of the debit not available / code 51 glitch for $500.
I will take this to the top.
I will not lose this money.
I will sue in small claims if needed, but all the while letting the people of my local Walmart know it's not their fault.

The store manager has copies of the receipt showing the transaction at the MC, and a printout of the drained card from Simon Meta.
I will be in regular contact with him until this is cleared up.
This is tiny potatoes compared with other junk I've dealt with in the past.
Nevertheless, I plan on getting it all back.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
I will sue in small claims if needed, but all the while letting the people of my local Walmart know it's not their fault.

The store manager has copies of the receipt showing the transaction at the MC, and a printout of the drained card from Simon Meta.
MS community thanks you for killing WM accepting GCs
cruisr and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot

I don't blame you for making sure you get your funds back; you're doing it right. As the saying goes, just do what you have to since it's your money at stake. First thing I always do with issues like this is to exhaust all options with the cash dept of the store within a reasonable period of time. Reasonable time for me is 15 biz days and so far, everything got fixed within that period.

Good luck and I hope you get your funds back asap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.