Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
Keep the card tucked in your wallet until you swipe. Memorize the pin. When you do swipe, keep the card 90% concealed in the palm of your hand. If anyone is watching, they should be able to see nothing more than a bit of silver plastic.
This is exactly what I do. I've been asked a few times for ID and to see the card when I did USPS MS. I often thought of handing them my actual debit card, then swiping a different card, but I think that's crossing the line. I usually just said "Oh, looks like I forgot my ID. I'll have to come back" and left the store.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:16 am

My go-to in NOVA has updated to the new system. Additionally, she stated there is an internal store memo stating they will no longer accept gift cards for MO purchased.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by fangtl
My go-to in NOVA has updated to the new system. Additionally, she stated there is an internal store memo stating they will no longer accept gift cards for MO purchased.
Does your store now prompt you for your card to verify it isn't a GC before you swipe?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
Keep the card tucked in your wallet until you swipe. Memorize the pin. When you do swipe, keep the card 90% concealed in the palm of your hand. If anyone is watching, they should be able to see nothing more than a bit of silver plastic.
^ this

as for the wallet, i use this one ~ basics minimalist wallet. here's mine

walking up i'm already holding it in front (for them to see and know that i'm paying with a debit card). showing/on top is a real debit card (just in case) and behind are gebits. i also set my pins beforehand so i don't 'fumble' in any way.

as with everything with ms, ymmv. but i feel comfortable 'doing' it this way. have worked so far for me. a quick smile and a greeting, a brief MO keypresses, a friendly banter while waiting for the MO to print and then thanking & wishing them a good day before walking away.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcRib
^ this

as for the wallet, i use this one ~ basics minimalist wallet. here's mine

walking up i'm already holding it in front (for them to see and know that i'm paying with a debit card). showing/on top is a real debit card (just in case) and behind are gebits. i also set my pins beforehand so i don't 'fumble' in any way.

as with everything with ms, ymmv. but i feel comfortable 'doing' it this way. have worked so far for me. a quick smile and a greeting, a brief MO keypresses, a friendly banter while waiting for the MO to print and then thanking & wishing them a good day before walking away.
This may work as long as all you are doing is 1 swipe. the sec you say I need too swipe my DC twice or split payments etc etc the alarm bells go off the shutters are closed and locked and bingo they ask to see the card/s that you will be using. Other csrs couldnt care and will simply say to me how many GCs are you doing today

I find more and more that once you mention anything meaning you will be doing more then 1 swipe, to those looking to prevent it youre dead meat
h4xdaplanet likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by craz
This may work as long as all you are doing is 1 swipe. the sec you say I need too swipe my DC twice or split payments etc etc the alarm bells go off the shutters are closed and locked and bingo they ask to see the card/s that you will be using. Other csrs couldnt care and will simply say to me how many GCs are you doing today

I find more and more that once you mention anything meaning you will be doing more then 1 swipe, to those looking to prevent it youre dead meat
yep. that's why it helps to know/gauge your different MC cashiers. i've done multiple swipes/transactions with my 'known' cashiers. also have held back to just 1 (or 2 max) swipe, 1 MO with 'unknown' cashiers.

also if cornered, i have my real debit card/s ready for use. as always, ymmv.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Did they say anything about billpay?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Does your store now prompt you for your card to verify it isn't a GC before you swipe?
Yes. They asked to see the card.

Did they say anything about billpay?
Sorry, did not ask about billpay.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
My go-to WMNM has now gone back to the "old" MO system; I didn't have to sign anything, and my MOs no longer are printing out gift certificate.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
This being a Staples Visa gift card sale week, I've accumulated a few $200s. No better place to get rid of these than Walmart, right? So I go to a store near Philadelphia yesterday that I've been to before and they say there's a new system and I can only swipe 2 debt cards for each MO -- and I can only get one MO. That's not great, but OK, I'll deal with this dubious rule. I go back today to get rid of 2 more, the cashier processes it, no problem, and the register displays "printing journal" -- which usually appears as the MO machine starts printing the MO.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is it possible that the money center cash registers are actually programmed to accept only one debit card per transaction? This was obviously a truly terrible Walmart MO experience. At least I've got my $400 back, though.
I also make my rounds in the Philly area WM and got shut down today for the first time in years by a cashier who never seemed to care. She said they were told no more GC. I'll wait a bit and try a different cashier soon. Another store didn't bother and I was able to do multiple swipes. Both locations do not print gift certificate on their money orders.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:33 pm

Anyone have any luck with getting Money Orders from WalMart with Visa gift cards issued by Sunrise Banks N.A.?

Last edited by lilpikachu; Jan 18, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

no change at my local wally's and have not gotten the update
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by lilpikachu
Anyone have any luck with getting Money Orders from WalMart with Visa gift cards issued by Sunrise Banks N.A.?
sunnies work just like metas.
DrForce and lilpikachu like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL_Intl.
I also make my rounds in the Philly area WM and got shut down today for the first time in years by a cashier who never seemed to care. She said they were told no more GC. I'll wait a bit and try a different cashier soon. Another store didn't bother and I was able to do multiple swipes. Both locations do not print gift certificate on their money orders.
I went back to the store today to thank the manager (who seemed genuinely concerned by my "missing" $400) and, for good measure, got a MO for a single $500 GC without incident. We'll see what happens in the future. BTW, what do you mean by not "printing a gift certificate on their money orders"? What's that?

I don't have problems getting MOs in supermarkets, but they're limited to $500, so it's slightly more expensive and slightly more cumbersome. Also, while I'm comfortable going in to a supermarket for one or two money orders with $500 GCs, I do sometimes cause a bit of a stir if I have the Staples $200s and want them to split payment. The Staples GCs are definitely more hassle for me now if Walmart won't easily take them.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by makelab
sunnies work just like metas.
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I figured so since they both have that same last 4 pin thing and for me they have the same design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.