2018 Shutdown Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 18, 10:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and [email protected])
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and [email protected])
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 18, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand View Post
A similar thing happened to me using chase pay for the Best Buy in December, but thankfully they "just" locked my accounts instead of shutting down. Spent close to an hour on the phone with them to resolve. That experience ruined any interest I had in using either chase pay, Walmart pay or Apple Pay for any non-trivial amount of spending. It just doesn't seem ready for prime time still from your recent experience.
It's not that the payment methods are not ready for prime time, it's that's Chase seems to believe anything associated with them is fraudulent. They wouldn't even let me add my card to Apple Pay without calling them. Even a text message with a code apparently wasn't good enough. I had to CALL them and get a text message with a code. And then they wanted me to call and get another text message with a another code 5 minutes later when I tried to add the same card to my Apple Watch. Then, when I actually dared to use it, they sent a fraud text message and despite the fact that I responded that I was doing the transaction and they said to try it again, they still blocked it and made me call in AGAIN. And then they closed my accounts permanently, despite the fact that I answered every question correctly.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
It's not that the payment methods are not ready for prime time, it's that's Chase seems to believe anything associated with them is fraudulent.
That's ridiculous! Anyone can steal my credit card and use it before I notice it is stolen, but no one is using my Samsung Pay unless they chop my finger off to scan my fingerprint.
Old Apr 18, 18, 9:09 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Fake post - no one can use your Samsung Pay because the bank will shutdown all your accounts if it is used. This is for your protection so nobody will be tempted to chop off your finger.

Originally Posted by FrankMS View Post
That's ridiculous! Anyone can steal my credit card and use it before I notice it is stolen, but no one is using my Samsung Pay unless they chop my finger off to scan my fingerprint.
FrankMS likes this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS View Post
Right?? Makes me wonder what Apple and Google would say to Chase about how customers are being treated that are trying to use their payments...
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Fake post - no one can use your Samsung Pay because the bank will shutdown all your accounts if it is used. This is for your protection so nobody will be tempted to chop off your finger.
Exactly.
Old Apr 19, 18, 6:09 am

Programs: Several dozen
Found a solution to banks killing your account when you use their services - try an Australian Bank! Even if their clients are 10 years dead, they refuse to kill the account and will let it use services and be charged. If we merge Wells Fargo with an Australian bank we could have dead customers opening new accounts that can't be killed. Could give a whole new meaning to the term Zombie Bank!

"Commonwealth Bank of Australia told a government inquiry Thursday that the practice of billing deceased customers for financial advice stretched back years. In one instance, an adviser at the bank's financial planning business was collecting fees from a client more than a decade after they had died..."

Australia: Commonwealth Bank says it charged dead clients for advice

Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Exactly.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 11:39 am
jk2

Just found out that Chase closed my wife's IHG card, she got in February. Minimum spending was done organically (in March), then stopped. Unbelievable.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: All of them.
Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
Just found out that Chase closed my wife's IHG card, she got in February. Minimum spending was done organically (in March), then stopped. Unbelievable.
Did she at least get the signup bonus?
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: Lots
she only had one account with Chase?
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:59 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
Did she at least get the signup bonus?
yes, but still.
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:03 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by devastitis View Post

she only had one account with Chase?
yes. to be honest, she was a long time Chasecustomer, but last year Chase closed her accounts. She didn't do MS, just had 6 cards with them. Year later she reapplied, but was axed 2 months later.

I don't think it was a reason. Myself, I was shutdown by Chase many times, but always got back few months later. I realized two things: don't do ms with them and get into situation when somebody look into your account. Since her IHG card had quite a high CL and minimum spend was just $1K, I don't see what could trigger manual review. Her last CC application was in January with Amex, and had only 2 inquires in the last 6 months.
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:28 pm

yes. to be honest, she was a long time Chasecustomer, but last year Chase closed her accounts. She didn't do MS, just had 6 cards with them. Year later she reapplied, but was axed 2 months later.

I don't think it was a reason. Myself, I was shutdown by Chase many times, but always got back few months later. I realized two things: don't do ms with them and get into situation when somebody look into your account. Since her IHG card had quite a high CL and minimum spend was just $1K, I don't see what could trigger manual review. Her last CC application was in January with Amex, and had only 2 inquires in the last 6 months.
from what Iíve read, once shutdown and reapproved later, youíre always marked for a shutdown regardless of what the reason is.
Old May 7, 18, 3:25 pm

Hi, I opened 1st account with chase 2 months back (Business card) and was approved after recon call 3/24 - No previous history with Chase. Stupidly enough used 1st purchase on gc.com for purchase over 1k. Got fraud alert and account was closed after being reviewed by fraud team and just being opened for 5 days. What are chances of applying and getting approved for another business or personal card with Chase. Am I banned ?? I called twice but rep said - they can't open back account again with large purchase and new credit history 2 years old. Am I blacklist or how do you know if you are blacklisted from chase ?
Old May 7, 18, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Abflying View Post
Hi, I opened 1st account with chase 2 months back (Business card) and was approved after recon call 3/24 - No previous history with Chase. Stupidly enough used 1st purchase on gc.com for purchase over 1k. Got fraud alert and account was closed after being reviewed by fraud team and just being opened for 5 days. What are chances of applying and getting approved for another business or personal card with Chase. Am I banned ?? I called twice but rep said - they can't open back account again with large purchase and new credit history 2 years old. Am I blacklist or how do you know if you are blacklisted from chase ?
if your account was closed, youíre basically on their do not approve list. Call them and call their EO, and ask for them to reinstate, telling them that you were unaware that buying gift cards was not allowed. Also might want to try CFPB. Itíll be tough for you to get it reversed though if it was because of MS.
Abflying likes this.
Old May 7, 18, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by devastitis View Post

if your account was closed, youíre basically on their do not approve list. Call them and call their EO, and ask for them to reinstate, telling them that you were unaware that buying gift cards was not allowed. Also might want to try CFPB. Itíll be tough for you to get it reversed though if it was because of MS.
He can't win. It is very bad that he opened a business credit card and purchased gift cards with the very first purchase. I do not think he is banned, but there has to be a note on new account cool-downs. Not sure how long, at least two years IMO.
Abflying likes this.

Search this Thread